• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Not happy with Eris, should I get Droid?

androidnewb

Nov 26, 2009
So I just got the Eris today. I have some concerns about it and I'm not sure if sending it back and getting a Motorola Droid would help me at all...

Some problems I've experienced with Eris that are making me reconsider the Droid:

Poor battery life - I charged it to full and I've put moderate use into it for about 6 hours and it's at 25% charge now. This is pretty disappointing.. I heard both the Droid and Eris have bad batteries, is the Droid better at all? Is this a software thing or just bad batteries?

Lag when switching between landscape and portrait mode - When I switch between the portrait and sidways/landscape orientation it takes sometimes up to 5 seconds to change. Sometimes I have to shake it around to get it to change. It doens't help that a lot of the things don't work in landscape mode... is the Droid like this? I don't remember typing with the virtual keyboard

Anyone know if Eris will be getting an update to 2.0 like Droid?

Will Droid's problems with the camera and multi touch be fixed?

Will getting a Droid cure some of my ills or should I try and wait out my 30 day return period to see if any fixes come out?

I just came from an Eris...I can only comment on the following so far...

1. Lag when switching (one of my pet peeves) is nearly non existent (much better).

2. Eris will get 2.0 but no confirmation as to when.

3. Camera is better for now (is a bug) and multitouch browsing is availabe with the dolphin browser. (I have not tried either yet though)

4. I am replying to this on Droids keyboard... Not as bad as I thought though...

Upvote 0
I don't think this is a question that can be answered. It's like saying, "Should I trade in my Cadillac for a Mercedes?" It depends on what you want, what you can't live without, what you can't live with and how much you want to spend. I like the Droid. I wouldn't trade it for an Eris because I LOVE and depend on the physical keyboard. In two years I might find something else to love but for now, I'm happy with my DROID.

Upvote 0
I heard numerous problems with any HTC Phones so it may be the phone instead of the OS.

BTW I know this is off-topic, but since we are talking about DROID, does anyone know if I can remove the 16GB memory card while still using the phone? I mean if there is any important OS files in the memory card.

Yes, of course you can remove it and it will function fine. Apps you've loaded may have to redownload some files or you might loose saves or profiles but the phone will work as a phone perfectly fine and Android will not be affected.

Upvote 0
The phone has it's own internal memory, separate from the SD card, that can be used for more vital data. However, your external media cards should not cause any problems if removed from a majority of hand held devices while the device is running, whether it is a cell phone or camera etc.

When you plug a phone/MP3 player that has an SD card into the computer and it goes into Mass Storage mode, that in essence is like "taking out" the card because it blocks access to the card from the phone until disconnected from the computer. That being said, none of the vital information can be contained on the card if the card is to be blocked in such a way.

Upvote 0
I heard numerous problems with any HTC Phones so it may be the phone instead of the OS.

BTW I know this is off-topic, but since we are talking about DROID, does anyone know if I can remove the 16GB memory card while still using the phone? I mean if there is any important OS files in the memory card.

Are you asking if the SD card is hot swappable? Because, while in theory it is, you can not remove it without taking out the battery, so you can't remove the card "while still using the phone".

However, as others have pointed out, there is no vital OS information stored on the card, so the phone will function just fine without one installed.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't take it out, I know Astro won't open without it and I have a feeling if your tried to use Maps Navigation you might get a force close because it wouldn't have much room to store any map data. Why would you want to go without it anyway? You can put any files onto it while it's in the DROID, I can't see any reason why else you would take it out.

Upvote 0
Are you asking if the SD card is hot swappable? Because, while in theory it is, you can not remove it without taking out the battery, so you can't remove the card "while still using the phone".

However, as others have pointed out, there is no vital OS information stored on the card, so the phone will function just fine without one installed.

So the 16GB Memory card was a freebie from Motorola? Sweet, saved me $200 by not buying a Zune/iTouch

Upvote 0
Just traded in my Eris for the motorola Droid. For me it came down to the battery life issue and the features of 2.0

The Eris feels really good in the hand and the sense ui is sick but none of that matters if the battery is dead before the day is done. I picked up my Droid and out of the box the half charged battery has given me more usage time than the Eris ever did. If you bought the Eris over the Droid save yourself the trouble and get the Droid

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones