NOT HAPPY!!!!! With OTA Was happy with leak 2.2

Last Updated:

1. geno51

geno51 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wow what the heck.... When the leak came out I installed it and was running up until last week I never had one issue period I loved it loved the new features and loved the increase in speed.

Last week I sbf back to 2.1 thinking how much better they could have made it over the last 40 days (boy was I wrong) I have had to do no less then 3 batt pulls because my phone has froze completly. touch screen out 3 times. Open the camera it closes down right away among other issues. I have had my ringer go so quiet on its own that I could not hear it then check the volume and its all the way up WTF moto you screwed the pooch on this one wow.....!!!!

Advertisement
  2. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Gosh, yes, everyone is having the exact same problem. Of the thousands and thousands of updates in the last few days, every single one of them results in battery pulls and frozen touch screens.

It's definitely that Motorola "screwed the pooch" on the update and these are features of the update, and not problems specific to your phone at all. They actually deliberately added the freezing and volume issues in the last 40 days.

3. EinZtein

EinZtein Well-Known Member

Haven't had one problem everything works perfectly.
    If you notice most of the problems are with phones that were rooted.

4. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

Runs the same as the leak maby better..

5. geno51

Only problem was I was never rooted ever first thing. And when you sbf back to 2.1 its like your phone is brand new again. Just pulled out of the box.... This 2.2 does have some serious issues... only thing I can think is launcher pro plus could be causing some of the issues ??

6. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

Exactly.

In fact, I was rooted and still have a grand total of zero issues with the update.

Never once on my phone have I had to pull the battery. Only time I ever saw the battery was on launch day.

7. geno51

Are either of you running launcher pro plus ???

8. nj02vette

You bring up a good point, and I don't know the answer to this. Perhaps 2.1 is not where you need to be to accomplish the Froyo upgrade. You should be at 2.1-update1 (?). Remember, moto pushed a minor update along the way.

Those who are sbf'ing back to 2.1 might be missing an incremental update necessary for the proper patching of the OS.

9. nj02vette

No, I had no launchers installed when I did the upgrade.

10. geno51

I went back to 2.1 then still go the .604 update also. So my phone was just like yours.

Im starting to think that Launcher pro plus is causing most of my issues:confused:

11. EinZtein

Was running adw before upgrade, no problems after upgrade.
    I have seen numerous reported problems with lp and 2.2.
    Un install re install solved problems for some.

12. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

did you have to be rooted to install the leak? it doesn't matter as rooting isn't the problem it's just what non rooter want to think. If you got the update you were stock are you wouldn't have gotten it. If I was you Id backup and do a factory reset to clean everything out and then reinstall only missing apps. See if that helps.

I run LPP and have no issues with it. We all have lots of different apps and it's just like a PC. Things can get hosed up for no apparent reason. SO think of it as reloading your PC's OS and doing a clean new install.

13. androy

androy Well-Known Member

Not one problem here... Did you try doing a factory reset?

I know this is redundant but I did a factory reset before upgrading to 2.2 and a factory reset after 2.2 was installed. That way I know nothing can conflict, even though I nkow Im probably over doing it.

EDIT: Actually, no I lied.. My battery manager forces closed when I try and access the statistics. Kinda frustrating. I'm surprised they haven't fixed that since the leaked versions.

EDIT2: Someone suggest to go into running applications and clear the battery manager's cache and the FC will stop. I did that and its seamed to do the trick.. Haven't had a FC in about 20 attempts.

14. drew999999

drew999999 Member

I did the same thing and haven't had any issues. I was forced to do the reset after sbf'ing due to the boot loop, but no issues after the upgrade/reset (except for one youtube hang)

For what its worth, I'm running Launcher Pro Plus and having no FC issues. Actually have had less problems with the OTA vs. the leaked version. No FC's on battery manager or maps yet....

15. EinZtein

You'll never convince me that most of these problems arent user related.

I've been developing in Android for some time and in phone os for over 20 years.

Never had one problem with any mobile os.
    Users need to be more careful, and who knows what goes on when rooted and what exact processes one uses to un root.

aohus and JustinHEMI like this.
  16. MacII

MacII Well-Known Member

No problems here with 2.2 upgrade and I've been running launcher pro since the first day of owning this phone. Perhaps a factory reset might help you? Good luck...

17. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

Running launcher pro plus here and no problems. Phone actually got better with 2.2.

18. geno51

Thing is I never touched root... No you did not need to be rooted to do the leak

19. geno51

Doing factory reset now see if this cures my issues.

20. Firespyer

Firespyer Member

^^This

21. EinZtein

Obviously someone who knows what they are doing...

22. anthonygobot

anthonygobot Well-Known Member

Never rooted mine and the google apps should be flawless.

23. rexboe

rexboe Well-Known Member

I had to do 4 battery pulls yesterday after the OTA.

24. androy

androy Well-Known Member

You're always suppose to clear data and cache after the SBF.. That has to be your issue.

25. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

That does not explain those of us who in order to avoid such problems with the update never rooted, never loaded the leaked Froyo and never ran ADW or LP but still ended up with a phone stuck on the Motorola logo. In fact while very unscientific, so far this poll, http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/148070-official-2-2-froyo-ota-thread.html, shows twice as many people with unrooted phones having this problem as those with rooted devices.

I do believe there is some explanation and may be some common denominator but I don't think that simple user error can be blamed. Being familiar with working to deadlines, there is a chance that the update being released on the last day of the time period Moto had committed to may have something to do with it. I also think it being both a Froyo update and the first major device update combined in one increases the likelihood there being problems and issues with the update.