Not interested in a case, but how can I protect the camera/get the Inc to sit flat?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. Reginald VelJohnson

Reginald VelJohnson Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Seidio spring clip holster for my Incredible and I love it. I'm careful with my stuff, and don't plan on getting a case of any kind, but it's tough to protect that camera, no matter how careful you are. Plus, I hate how it won't sit flat if you lay it on a desk or table.

Ideally, I'd like to see some sort of stick on bumper that would go around the camera and extend across the width of the back to solve both problems. I'm sure nothing like this exists, but has anybody solved this problem in a creative DIY way?

Advertisement
  2. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

Short of buying a case, the only way I know of to make it sit flat without resting on the camera surround is to install one of the large extended batteries.

3. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 Member

You could probably try something with Sugru. It is a silicone putty sort of stuff, and you can get it in black. I would put a line of it just above and just below the camera, all the way across. I don't know first hand if it will stick to the dinc, but it is pretty cheap to try.

Reginald VelJohnson likes this.
  4. x0x

x0x Well-Known Member

There is no out-of-the-box solution right now. It's going to be a custom job if you want to accomplish what you describe.

The options I see are:
    - Custom build a new back cover which is "built-up" around the lens area. Automotive body filler, lots of sanding and a good eye. Would be time consuming but price wise it would be cheap. Spray can the final result or take it by a body shop and see if they have any extra paint they could hit it with on the cheap. Or go with a wrap of some sort.

- The camera lens itself only sticks out from the body of the phone by a very small amount (about as much as the flashes do). If you take the lens cover off, cut the 4 prongs around it off and built some sort of flush mounted cover, you could get very close to having it flush with the rest of the phone.

Reginald VelJohnson likes this.
  5. Reginald VelJohnson

Reginald VelJohnson Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the replies, great ideas all around.
    Ok, I HAVE to get some of that stuff. If it works as well as they say, I can think of about a million uses for it. It ought to work perfectly for this application assuming, as you say, that it sticks.

Back when we first realized the Incredible would have that topographic back, I thought about doing #1, just to smooth out the whole thing. Still might do it if I get a spare, and it would be logical to do the camera protector at the same time.

As for #2, I noticed that as well when I pulled off the red lens protector. If I had more confidence in my glass/plexiglass fab skills, I'd do as you suggest. It would be close, but I'm not totally sure you could get it flush. Would be the ideal situation if you could do it cleanly, though.

I can't understand how they can make such a great phone, yet overlook what I consider a single, incredibly glaring design flaw. My old Touch had a recessed camera lens, and at the end of its life, it was scratched to heck. You'd think they would learn.

6. danielevans83

danielevans83 Well-Known Member

fix it the Apple way. put a piece of tape over the lens.

7. danielevans83

danielevans83 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I just don't believe that anyone loves this phone that much to spend that much time making a case for it. I never understood people who consider "time-consuming labor" to be free...time is money. Unless of course you're going to live forever. :)

Check out the barely there case - it'd be ALMOST like a naked DInc and protects your lens.
    HTC Droid Incredible Barely There Cases by Case-mate