Not living up to all the hype....

Last Updated:

1. DVNO

DVNO Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is it just me or is this thing not living up to all the hype? I know there are tons of tmo fanyboys that will swear this is the greatest phone ever, and i wanted to be one of them, but sadly i cannot. I have dealt with major lag on this phone the past 3 days wether it be opening apps or just trying to make a call. The lightness of the phone doesnt really bother me though i do prefer the feel of the nexus a lot more. I dont know, i guess i was just expecting so much from this phone and to be honest im starting to feel like i will return it and stick with my N1 till this holiday season. Another thing is 3g reception, wow. Yesterday i was outside at union park in chicago, i was dropping down to G, no not edge, G constantly. Coudnt send sms, mms, nothing. Was very aggrevating. I really really want to love this phone, im just having a hard time. I guess i was spoiled with the N1 for so long.

Advertisement
  2. dcam1075

dcam1075 Well-Known Member

I agree, I had really high hopes too. The lagginess is practically unbareable. The laginess coupled with the gps issues makes this phone unusable for me. Which is a shame because I love the gorgeous screen and light weight. For the life of me I can not understand how this phone could be that much slower than my myTouch Slide, but it is. Also, the lack of flash support in the resident browser is kind of a bummer too. I love that feature on the Slide.

3. coolguy949

coolguy949 Well-Known Member

I'm not getting any lag at all. Yesterday I did get some delay when clicking in the Market. The screen would go black for a sec then come up to the next screen.

But you're right. It's not living up to the hype...it's exceeding it! I came from an HTC Evo that had a laundry list of QC issues. This phone is worlds apart. It even has a EQ for the music player. I'm very happy.

Have you tried to install SystemPanel to see what might be causing some lag? Does it go away when you reboot?

4. dcam1075

dcam1075 Well-Known Member

From what I understand the lagginess has to do with the way the phones internal memory has been partitioned. I see the lag mostly with Skyfire browser, the market, corporate email and the 4 buttons at the bottom. There is a temporary fix for it over on the xda site but it involves rooting the phone which I don't feel like messing with.

5. 03machme

03machme Well-Known Member

I'm not having any lag at all I guess coming from a g1 anything will seem fast. Still haven't had any problems and am loving this thing sorry your not

6. The K-Zoo Kid

The K-Zoo Kid Well-Known Member

i dont have any lag... thats odd everyone is freaking out about all of this. All the issues i've had were just me being stupid haha. It has lived up to my expectations..

7. Robinelli

Robinelli Well-Known Member

My phone is lightening fast. I took it to Best Buy today to get the Invisible Shield installed and everyone came running over and oohed and ahhed at it and commented on how fast it was. I am sorry you are having issues. I think either you got a lemon or it's your location :( I hope you get it worked out!

8. landale

landale Well-Known Member

I agree that when I got the phone I was a little disappointed with performance as there was definitely some lag, especially in the corporate email client. I switched to LauncherPro for my default launcher which helped a lot, especially it got rid of the lag inducing Samsung widgets. I am encouraged that Samsung has already issued a firmware update for the European models that almost completely eliminates lag. Since it's probably still a few weeks before the fix makes it here I decided to implement the "stall fix" since its reversible and the lag is now totally gone. To me this shows the potential of the Vibrant and I am confident all owners will see it soon.

In regards to the GPS I agree its a bit lacking. I have never had a phone take upwards of 5 minutes to get a GPS lock when outside before. There is a "fix" on XDA developers that I just tried (phone doesn't need to be rooted for this) and it does seem to make it usable now. Here is the link: xda-developers - View Single Post - Gps fix 101

Anyway the good thing is that both of these appear to be software problems and therefore should be fixed over the coming weeks. Overall I love my Vibrant and my only real issues with it are the lack of led notification and the fact it looks like an iphone. Otherwise its the best phone I have ever owned.

9. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

This is simple. Obviously you haven't had it longer than 14 days. Take it back to the store, demand to see a new one to compare any lag issues, and do an exchange. TMobile won't argue with you.

I'm not experiencing the lag that people talk about, so it could just be a lemon. Give it a try.

10. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

Anyone who is having lag issue I would recommend trying ADW launcher takes all the added bloat from touchwiz out and allows you to set your homescreen etc to however you'd like... worth the download and its free.. check it out here: ADW.Launcher - Cyrket but download it from android market

the other issue is if your coming from a vanilla android phone without added software like sense, blur or touchwiz it will feel slower even if its not... just the bloat....

11. truoc444

truoc444 Well-Known Member

I was experiencing the lag issue until I uninstalled all of the Samsung Widgets. It's still slow on occasion, but not nearly as bad. It's like something was trying to refresh and just couldn't move on until it finished. It's especially bad when you're in a GPRS data area. (I'm stuck living somewhere where I'm lucky to get edge. It's a good thing I have WiFi most places I go.)

12. Nickk

Nickk Active Member

I have not experienced lag at all yet, not even one force close of an app (and I've already got 50+ apps). Are you using some kind of task manager to manage the open apps? If you've got too many running you will run into some lag and general slowness.

13. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

there is no issue with the amount of apps running because of the way linux itself runs however your browser, market and app cache could cause lag...

14. VegasTouch

VegasTouch Well-Known Member

I have had no lag whatsoever. This is day 3 for me with it and using it pretty heavy. Only thing im disapointed about is the battery isnt as good as i thought it might be. Thought it would last into the 2nd day but it dont. Then again, pretty heavy use.

15. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member

I am loving this phone. Not noticing any lag, I close out unused apps and widgets out of habit, certainly not neccesity. Screen is amazing, thats a given, but on top of that I love the just perfect feel of the phone in my hand. Light, ultra-thin, big screen, etc.= a very happy me. Have not done a hands on with the Droid X, but there is certainly no comparing it to anything else in T-Mobile's lineup. I have had zero issues, minus the battery life which seems to be getting better each day.

16. HoOn

HoOn Member

I'm coming from a Cyanogenmod 6.0 Nexus One and I don't see any lag on my Vibrant. I am not using TouchWiz which might be the problem? The GPS is a lot slower but I love the camera in this phone. Just return the phone if you're not happy with it. End of story. Good luck!

EDIT: Just found the GPS fix from XDA-Developers. :)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728894

17. jree

jree Well-Known Member

I dont see what people are talking about with lag on this phone. I have had zero issues with lag. I came from an iphone and cliq and this thing is pretty smooth by comparison. I tried adw launcher and launcher pro and I havent noticed that much of a change from samsungs

18. hotstuff5964

hotstuff5964 Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing much lag at all. I've been using the phone constantly since I got it Thursday morning. I'm running live wallpapers constantly, have about 8 widgets running, plus I have probably downloaded at least 40 apps or so. Once in a while I will notice a slight pause when scrolling thru the screens, I'm talking like a fraction of a second slower than instant. I don't really consider that lag. Now my Motorola Cliq, that thing had lag, it would frequently take a few seconds or more to scroll screens or load apps. I tried out that launcher pro app and that thing makes my phone even faster. Crazyness.

19. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

The only real lag I have seen is when searching Mabilo wallpapers, and then it was really slow loading them in. It almost drove me nuts waiting. Otherwise it's all good.
    I do hope they have some software tweaks coming down the pike for us soon though. Something that does NOT involve rooting.

20. Puraw Wave

Puraw Wave Well-Known Member

I'm in the no lag group, too. Everything runs very smooth for me. But I'm also coming from the Behold II, so that may be why it seems so for me. I have noticed it hang a bit if I try to open up an app while another is installing from the market (right after if finishes downloading). It's only a couple seconds and doesn't bother me at all.