• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help not powering up beyond start up screen

NexusTootsie

Dec 16, 2011
ct
Last night tablet wouldn't turn on. Locked itself into the start up screen. The buttons seem to work and when I tried a hard reset - and it will give me the tiny notice at that top that I'm asking for a cold boot, it doesn't go into it.

I tried accessing via pc/phone too. BUt if it's not on, it doesn't show up. I read another thread about borrowing a ROM from my phone but I have a GNex and there's not finding any of the good stuff without rooting, which I don't do.

so I've tried the hard reset
I've tried accessing via pc
my tablet is not rooted and overall it's been working fine. No issues. Then suddenly this.

Why does this stuff happen? it's seems crazy to me...it's just about a year old and it's acting up.

I'm not sure what to do now. Call ASUS? Send it in? Should I send in keypad and power source?

Please Help.
Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I had an extended warranty at BB. I had hoped I would not have to take it back because I have the dock and I didn't think they were going to have a device I could use with it. I figured my little T101 was toast unless I got it back to ASUS.

I called BB they said bring it in, they'd trade something comparable. The something comparable turned out to be the T300 which hasn't set the world on fire and would require a new dock.

Turns out the new dock would cost another 150. Plus another 100 bucks for warranty because I trust ASUS like my ex - great when everything is smooth but when there's a problem -nowhere to be found. Like this issue with ICS incompatibility which when you start looking around appears to be the source of a great load misery with this device.

If I liked ASUS I'd have gone for it and sold the old dock on ebay BUT I have no idea what went wrong. I can't swear the old dock wouldn't be a headache to someone else because I don't know exactly how the tablet went bellyup. So I figured it might come back to bite me because selling electronics on ebay is not for the faint hearted. I sell other stuff there and I know the evil ways of that place.

So I'm thinking about the store credit they offered me. They even made me a deal for my docking station, even though it wasn't on warranty. I had 300 bucks coming and I know it's not going towards another damned ASUS.

I have one of their laptops too and it's great BUT if you have a problem, the people on the phones are nice but the warranty totally stinks over here because there's one service center and it's on the other side of the state and they told me for anything, if you walk in the door it's going to cost over $100 just to look.

So I handed over the little T and the little dock and took my money and bought a shiney new Samsung. It cost a couple of hundred more, but so would a new dock. And this one has the cool stylus, etc. So I'm totally owned by Samsung now. Fingers crossed.

Adios ASUS. You are not as good as your devices could and should be. THey're beautiful and clever and innovative. But you don't have good CS and for me, an old lady - CS tops the list.

Upvote 0
I'd rather they build something good enough you never have to contact customer service...

Hope the new one works out for you!

Thanks....I sure hope so, too. I agree about the building, but this is new technology so there's going to be issues. I was one of the mac people years ago, when they introduced the AVs. I LIVED on customer service. So did all of us in that. and then the powers came along, with their own unique set of problems and headaches. Without CS with these new technologies, a user is toast. And they know it and count on your spending bucks on the next shiney object.

I'll tell you, I was grossly disappointed. This was tablet number two. First had crapped out in Feb exactly the same way - sudden lockout.

But this one was going strong - anything I wanted to do it did, except for graphics, which as an artist, made me a little nuts...but I got over it. I thought it was a great tablet overall. Then suddenly BINGO...no entry. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't even FORCE myself in, no way no how and I'm pretty methodical and patient. Plus my husband is an engineer and used all his magical powers but nope.

And what makes this very frustrating to me is that it's all software related. This isn't hardware, it's software. It's fixable. They've already moved on. They moved on before I even bought this damned thing. Thats just wrong.

Upvote 0
And what makes this very frustrating to me is that it's all software related. This isn't hardware, it's software. It's fixable. They've already moved on. They moved on before I even bought this damned thing. Thats just wrong.

LOL and :(

I am somewhat frustrated with this aspect of Android. The new vesions come out and there's no incentive for carriers/manufacturers to upgrade old hardware. I have a Galaxy Nexus (Sprint) still waiting for the 4.2 (or whatever). Wife bought a Motorola Photon (May2012) and hers is still waiting for 4.0 but might not ever get it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones