Not Receiving Texts/Disappearing SMS and MMS

Last Updated:

1. hake0305

hake0305 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For the last 2 weeks I have randomly not been receiving text messages. Also just today I had a friend send a picture with text and I saw the pop up, went to ChompSMS and clicked on the play button to play the slideshow. Once I tapped the message, it disappeared. I can no longer find the picture or the message that went along with it. It is very frustrating because I know people are trying to send me photos and messages and I am not even getting them or they are disappearing before I can get/read them. I even checked the original Messages app and the missing texts/photos do not show up there. Is this a Sprint issue or a Hero issue? And is there a fix?

I am uninstalling my task killer as we speak...

Advertisement
  2. swoid

swoid Active Member

Hake,
    Sprint has acknowledged that the picture text issue is a known issue. They won't admit anything else. See the thread on picture text known issue and please contribute. There is no fix, hard resets don't work, texting app doesn't matter, and rooting doesn't matter.

3. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

if the disappearing message was a picture then you can still view it by going to the sprint picture mail website

4. t1jordan

t1jordan Well-Known Member

Keep your task killer, just ignor everything google and things like music player, msg, IM, mail etc..... Try Estrongs Task Manager. Dont use the widget just use the app. The widget will run in the background. Only use the task killer for random apps you want to stop running in the background. I used to have a problem receiving picture mail but not anymore. When I first received my Hero I was killing everything wondering why apps were not working. If you killed your messages app. You need to do a hard reset and your text will work fine. From time to time do a PRL update and Update profile. Make sure your not on wifi. Pictures wont download on wifi for some reason. I never experienced dissapearing text. I hope I dont. thats a new one for me. I hope that helped.

5. flexte

flexte Well-Known Member

I have one or more disappearing texts a month and the same with emails. the texts are way less important but some of the vanishing emails were important.

6. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

If the disappearing message is MMS you can still find it by logging into the sprint picture mail website

7. INsano

INsano Member

My g.f.'s Hero isn't getting 1/2 or more of the texts I send her. Getting pretty damn predictably annoying. Oh, she hasn't replied in 3 hours? Guess she didn't get any of the 5 I sent her. The reverse sometimes happens as well, I don't get anything she sends. She seems to have more trouble receiving my texts than vice versa, should I return her phone and try a new one?

8. Rube8514

Rube8514 Well-Known Member

I also have had this problem with certain people not receiving any of my texts....does anyone have a solution to this?

9. dwayne

dwayne Member

talked to some friends, i missed out on about 10-15 texts yesterday, who knows how many more...ugh. HTC Hero.

10. hake0305

I am still intermittently having the same issues... a real problem when a main contact during the day between my boyfriend and I is texting... haven't been receiving texts for 2+ days now... I think I am going to have to purchase a different phone because to not have a basic such as texting is quite ridiculous! I was going to upgrade to the EVO this fall, but now I am completely rethinking the android/Sprint combo. Guess I'll go back to a blackberry! So long Hero!

11. bhaktasa

bhaktasa Active Member

I haven't been receiving messages for the past two days!!! My roommate been texting me all day, but didn't get a single one of the texts. I have a task killer, but I have not loaded it for months and it's not running in the background. This is really upsetting. It kind of pisses me off that this happens every once and a while.

I did a soft reset on my phone (Power Off). And powered back on, sent a message to myself and I received it. And now it works. But all my other text from the past two days are lost forever... somewhere floating in the air. Not to mention it played with my emotions when I sent out texts, and didn't get any replies from anyone (when which they did reply).

I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THAT. I paid $200 back in November for this phone. That is expensive, and still the phone has many flaws.

WTF HTC/SPRINT/GOOGLE!!!! Send some freaking updates once in a while to patch all these flaws and issues!

12. hake0305

Question related to the Moment: Does it have these same intermittant texting issues? Has anyone heard? I am about to go over to their forum and check, but if this is more of a platform problem then maybe switching to a Moment won't help.

13. Firemans Wife

Firemans Wife Well-Known Member

Just found out mine is also doing this. I thought it was just a problem with mms but last night found out its texts too. Texting my husband and getting frustrated with him because I wasn't getting any response! Which he was sending them but they got lost in space somewhere and never landed!

14. valdesr11

valdesr11 Well-Known Member

Same here, i just randomly stopped receiving texts from the three people i was texting, turned off my phone and turned it back on and still nothing. Never got the texts. WOW.

15. bhaktasa

bhaktasa Active Member

Anyone find a solution for the problem?

16. hake0305

There is no official solution. Sounds like 2.1 may correct the issue.

Until then... 3 things that I do:
    1. I generally update my PRL and Profile a few times a week, or if I notice I haven't received a text all day.

2. I also try to reboot my phone every few days. Sometimes, just leave it off all night while it charges.

3. To be sure I am still receiving texts, I will randomly text myself. If I don't get it I do the steps above to restore service.

Those are my temporary fixes. Annoying, but they help to keep texts coming through.

17. Firemans Wife

Firemans Wife Well-Known Member

A workaround I have found for mms is to have the same one sent twice and the second comes through

18. mem_reddog

mem_reddog Well-Known Member

Another option, at least for texts, would be to use a google voice account and just give everyone your google voice number. I know its not an actual fix for the phone but at least you would not be missing any texts.