Not showing blocking mode icon outside of blocking windowSupport

1. boardtc

boardtc Active Member

I have started using blocking mode for stopping night time alerts.

I would like if there was an option to only show the blocking mode icon in the notification area when blocking mode is on, i.e. when the blocking mode window is active. I don't think this is such an option.

Is there anywhere to suggest/vote on features for android?

Advertisement
    :
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

its a samsung feature, rather than android in general. They're the people you need to convince.

For me, knowing the times 23:00 - 06:00 are enough for me, and that in the notification toggle area, I can see its on. I dont need an ongoing notification or a persistent notification.

I decompiled my settings.apk to get rid of this permanently. You can only do this if rooted though.
  3. neil154

neil154 Well-Known Member

Is your phone a Verizon phone or another carrier and is your phone rooted? If Verizon phone have you actually tested to see if the blocking is functioning. I have a Verizon S3 and it does not function
  4. silentwitness

silentwitness Well-Known Member

there is a patch you can run which will remove the icon but you need to be rooted for it. I have installed it. Not sure if the patch is only for the international s3 or not.
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Well-Known Member

No, there isn't, for a good reason. If an app is running without a notification, the OS can kill it when it needs more memory. And if it kills the blocking app, then it won't start blocking when you want it to.
  6. silentwitness

silentwitness Well-Known Member

7. SUroot

This is the case with actual apps.. Actual apps may need a persistent notification to keep running. However blocking mode is not actually an app. the app that blocking mode is part of is "settings.apk" so this doesn't really act the same.

I can confirm by removing the notification, blocking mode remains active. Afterall, its simply a setting, such as setting a wallpaper. There's no persistant wallpaper icon, but android doesn't kill my wallpaper.
  8. SUroot

Not really a patch. This is just an updated settings.apk which will only work on the build number it was intended for.

The OP actually just followed this guide every time (which is what i do) and this really should be universal for all S3's

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1939943
  9. boardtc

boardtc Active Member

Thanks for the info. I have a routed S3 but it's too much of a project for me to get rid of I have to say. So it's either not use it or suck it up until they change it!
  10. chadgraves

chadgraves Member

I use the blocking mode on my SGH-i747 S3 and it never shows any kind of icon in the notification bar when using blocking mode, or even when i have the blocking mode settings open. Is that normal? Could it possible have something to do with my ROM. Im on Intergalactic JB 4.1.1