Not sure if I will change ROMs again...

Last Updated: 2010-10-26 17:58:25
  1. rtm0004

rtm0004 Well-Known Member

So I just flashed Virtuous ROM, and that was easy enough

but, running titanium backup was a pain! as well as re-setting up my phones layout

the dumbest thing I did? forgot to backup my contacts!!! yea, won't make that mistake again (I always just saved them to my phone instead of Google + phone) Rookie mistake

Is there any way to make to restore process easier?!?! I mean, it's gotta be, ya'll change ROMs like I change shirts!

*****UPDATE******: well, my contacts appeared from somewhere so now they are backed up with verizon's thing and google and exported to the SD card and copied to my computer!!

Advertisement
  2. SDotNY

SDotNY Well-Known Member

lol Im on the same boat as you bro, though I am happy with Virtuous. There's people here that change ROM's daily, I don't see how thats not a PITA unless im missing something also.
  3. jbeezybaby

jbeezybaby Well-Known Member

Download appbrain and sync all your apps also download the premium version of launcherpro (if you like it) and the fast web installer also by swiss code monkeys. Once launcherpro is installed under menu/preferences you can restore your launcherpro backup and you are good to go. It only takes a few minutes outside of your apps downloading.
    SDotNY likes this.
  4. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

All my contacts are in gmail acct. I can't imagine doing it any other way. After flashing a new ROM by the time I go through the setup wizard voila they are all there.

As for apps I only have 36 and I use Titanium paid which allows for a batch process without having to install one at a time like the non paid version does.

It takes me roughly 30-40 minutes to wipe, flash a new ROM, restore apps, and set everything up. I guess after doing it so many times it becomes a routine of sorts.
  5. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

What they do is flash say virtous, set it all up, then make a nandroid backup, Then they flash say skyraider, set it all up and make a nandroid. Then all they have to do is reflash that nandroid backup and its all set up. Then you only have to restore the few apps you may have downloaded with titanium. Its only the first time thats a PITA. After that its not so bad.
  6. Two_cents

Two_cents Well-Known Member

first thing you should do is go to your "people" and hit menu and export your contacts to your sd card and then save on your computer... you dont need root to save your contacts... then get titanium and backup [desktop]HTC Sense 1.00 ... that will save your layout for any sense rom so you dont have to reset everything... I'd reccomend only backing up user apps since some roms have some major system updates... then all I really have to do is set up my email accounts and i'm done in about 20 min every flash...
  7. trevolution23

trevolution23 Member

I'm going through the same thoughts here...but like jakaro said u only have to do it once per rom.....I've only done 2 so far....but it is a PITA!!!
  8. rtm0004

"As for apps I only have 36 and I use Titanium paid which allows for a batch process without having to install one at a time like the non paid version does."

This was the biggest PITA (aside from losing my contacts which was my fault, and won't happen again - after I get them all back!)

I may buy the full version just for that

What does launcherpro do that titanium doesn't?

"then get titanium and backup [desktop]HTC Sense 1.00 ... that will save your layout for any sense rom so you dont have to reset everything."

well it remembered my background, but not the layout of my apps and stuff
  9. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

When you do a restore of [desktop]HTC Sense 1.00 with Titanium, most times it will take one reboot after the restore to get everything reset on the screens. In my experience the widgets don't always re-setup right but I don't have so many widgets running that it is a problem to reset them manually. BTW, I have like 95 apps on my phone.
  10. jbeezybaby

I like launcherpro because it will remember your layout and apps as long as theyvare on the phone when you do the restore. The only thing it will not restore is Widgets. You will have to do that part manually.
  11. jbeezybaby

Ya know I have bought titanium but only used it a few times and didn't realizethe layout part. I will have to give it a try.
  12. SDotNY

SDotNY Well-Known Member

Beezy, that "fast web installer" app you recommended is the ISHT.. Thanks for that, makes appbrain even better!
  13. rtm0004

btt for update
  14. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

Oops, sorry, I didn't read all the way through this thread before posting.... Please ignore.
  15. NoShftShck16

NoShftShck16 Well-Known Member

Lol, I change ROMs multiple times a day. the Feather ROM is the first one that kept me for awhile since launch day.

I have AppBrain & Titanium to back up apps. Plus I flash a ROM, set it up, then nandroid. I have Nandroid backups of every ROM I've used so I can swap back at any time.
  16. rtm0004

when I restored my nandroid of virtuous though, it went back to original until I ran titanium backup

so, i don't see the advantage, maybe I'm doing my nandroids wrong
  17. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

Until I found nix's MIUI, I was changing ROMs almost nonstop.
  18. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I was flashing ROMS almost daily for awhile. And I could do it really quick, the biggest thing is you have to get the paid version of Titanium Backup that way you don't have to reinstall each app individually you can just restore all. First time I flashed a new ROM I didn't have premium and it took me way too long.

Like otheres have said you do have to restore widgets manually but I only have a few widgets so it's not a big deal to do that manually
  19. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Hey Jim! Haven't seen ya in awhile!
  20. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Yeah haven't been around much, been too busy with work and such. Life has taken me away from my expensive phone hobby lol
  21. rtm0004

May be worth dropping the money for Ti if I'm going to do this a lot!

Which I may, I'm getting curious about what else is out there, I've seen some SLICK layouts over on XDA