• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Not sure what happened...

So my phone died earlier tonight, and I just now got it on the charger. So after it had charged a bit and I was about to sleep, I turned on my phone to set my alarm clock and decided to check the market right quick. A popup appeared saying a system update was availiable, phone may restart, etc. and asked if I wanted to install. Naturally, I hit install b/c this must be the OTA 2.2 update I've been waiting for! :D

So, I hit install, the screen goes black (and my phone turns off?) and the screen changes to a picture of the android symbol in front of an open box with a status bar. I laid there watching the progress bar, then turned around to change the channel on the tv. When I looked at my phone again, there was another android symbol, with an exclamation point in a triangle over his head.

I let it sit for a few more mins. and nothing changed. Curious, I hit the power button, and the ClockWork Mod recovery screen pops up (NOTE: I AM CURRENTLY ROOTED) with it's regular options. I wasn't sure what to do so I choose to reboot the system.

So here is where I'm at now. I checked the About section of my phone, and it still says 2.1, no 2.2. And I also don't have the popup coming up in the market asking to install a system update. So I'm not sure what happened now.

Will I get another OTA update prompt? Did my Droid being Rooted cause the update mess up? I'm just confused.

The phone had plenty of charge to sustain itself, so I doubt that was the problem.

I was doing some more looking around on here and noticed in the "Official" froyo thread here in the Inc section, some other people have ran into this. Supposedly it's cause by the browser not having mobile view enabled (which mine is not enabled from earlier use today). So once my nadroid backup finishes, I'm going to try again.

Also, should the prompt reappear in the market to update at some point? Or am I stuck doing this manually?

Upvote 0
The phone had plenty of charge to sustain itself, so I doubt that was the problem.

I was doing some more looking around on here and noticed in the "Official" froyo thread here in the Inc section, some other people have ran into this. Supposedly it's cause by the browser not having mobile view enabled (which mine is not enabled from earlier use today). So once my nadroid backup finishes, I'm going to try again.

Also, should the prompt reappear in the market to update at some point? Or am I stuck doing this manually?

Prompt is not in the market. I think that was just a coincidence. Check

Menu/Settings/AboutPhone/SystemUpdates

And your problem is Clockwork Recovery. You need the stock recovery for the update to take place.

Upvote 0
Ok, well, I manually downloaded the update and put it in my SD card root. Went through ClockWork recovery and choose to update with update.zip.

Went through the update pretty well. Then it showed the new droid bootscreen, then showed me the lockscreen. I unlock and it goes to a plain white background with the HTC logo and a spinnign progess wheel with a percentage. Once it gets to about 20% it brings up a force close dialog, no matter what I hit it continued. When it finished, I see the droid eye startup, then it goes to the same thing after unlocking. I shutdown the phone, and it restarted. Finally able to see my homescreen and stuff, but it continues to restart on it's on, I have no service, and no WiFi.

I have no idea what is happening...any ideas?

Upvote 0
Ok, well, I manually downloaded the update and put it in my SD card root. Went through ClockWork recovery and choose to update with update.zip.

Went through the update pretty well. Then it showed the new droid bootscreen, then showed me the lockscreen. I unlock and it goes to a plain white background with the HTC logo and a spinnign progess wheel with a percentage. Once it gets to about 20% it brings up a force close dialog, no matter what I hit it continued. When it finished, I see the droid eye startup, then it goes to the same thing after unlocking. I shutdown the phone, and it restarted. Finally able to see my homescreen and stuff, but it continues to restart on it's on, I have no service, and no WiFi.

I have no idea what is happening...any ideas?

Did you update your radio I think i read last night that your radio needed to be 2.something in order for it to work. I had the same exact issue when I tried the update when I was rooted yesterday. I unrooted my phone and I am waiting to get the update and if I don't get it by Saturday I'm going to do it manually hopefully there will be a "official ROM" (whatever that is) without the issues people seem to be having. Please keep us informed what's happening with your phone. Thanks

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones