not TRUE "PUSH" happening for gmailSupport

Last Updated:

1. wilbu1j

wilbu1j Member This Topic's Starter

I am sending my self test emails and not getting them for awhile..My outlook on my computer picked it up about five minutes ago and still nothing on my phone. Do we know how long before each pull? I thought it was supposed to be simultaneously. Any one having this problem and know how to fix it...i have background data enabled and google email syncing...

Advertisement
  2. AHanks12

AHanks12 Well-Known Member

I did the same test a few weeks ago with the same results. It was only about a 3 minute lag though. Not really enough to make me care that much.

3. wilbu1j

ya mine lags for sometimes 2 3 4 or more hours.... :( i'd be ok with anythign under five minutes yaknow..

4. nickreich

nickreich Well-Known Member

When I ordered my incredible from in-store the lady advised me the biggest difference between my Blackberry and the Incredible is PUSH email. Probably has something to do with the fact that Blackberry uses BIS.

The woman also told me that email is synced in timed intervals. 5 minutes, 1 hour, etc.

But unfortunately I wouldn't know first hand.

5. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

Up until yesterday afternoon, my phone was getting my new Gmail emails faster then either of my computers, even if they were open to my Gmail inbox! But something changed last night and is still happening this morning, the emails are now taking longer to show up on the phone then on the computer.

I don't know what changed, all settings are the same!:confused:

6. wilbu1j

How do i change the time interval to five minutes or whatever?

7. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

Mine seems to work just fine. I just did some tests too, there was about a 15 second lag.

8. wilbu1j

well that sucks i really dont want to do a factory reset...any ideas before i do that?

9. wilbu1j

i think i have fixed the problem...i went and uncheck background data n active sync....waiting a few seconds and rechecked both of them...now getting emails instantly...weird but it works

10. kibble

kibble Well-Known Member

I don't know about you guys, but I seem to get them almost instantly. I just sent an email from my computer to my phone and there was about 10 second delay between hitting send and hearing my notification go off.

11. twinglock40z

twinglock40z Member

I have tested this out multiple times. I get my emails usually in about 5-10 seconds. Sometimes short, sometimes longer but never longer than about 30 seconds.

12. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

1. make sure you have the app set up to PUSH not poll.
    2. make sure your gmail has IMAP enabled

I have rarely seen anyhting more than 20 seconds lag and that has more to do with the gmail servers than anything else.

13. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

She is about 50% correct (which isn't bad for her kind LOL)

Android can do PUSH with gmail (either thru the gmail app or K-9. The HTC app does NOT natively support PUSH.)

Polling times can be set to 5, 10 15 etc, but PUSH is instantaneous. There are advantages to BIS/BES, but PUSH times are not one of them.

14. poster55

poster55 Active Member

This should be an issue of the past when 2.2 hits. They added the support for true push in a lot of ways that weren't possible before 2.2

Like the ability to get a plugin for your web-browser and click it to push a website to your phone and load it in your phone's browser. :)

I imagine there are a lot of potential possibilities for this feature, but one of the first to be realized will likely be a mobile messaging system like AIM, MSN, and Yahoo, or email.