Not using a case? How is the phone holding up?General

1. Tlicious1020

Tlicious1020 Well-Known Member

Does any people roaming around without a case realize that depending upon the case that you buy that it actually absorbs the impact of the phone when dropped?
  2. OGWillikers

OGWillikers Well-Known Member

I don't use a case and work in a steel factory. I'm sure the speaker grilles are gonna fill with metal dust soon since the magnets are powerful enough to pick up bottle caps...

I get circles of metal dust around the top and bottom of the screen. Yay insurance. Still looks new.
  3. SolApathy

SolApathy Cleverness is not wisdom Guide

I only use my case when I know I am going to be doing something that may result in it dropping (i.e Running, biking, working outside)... Had the phone for over a month and it is still in perfect condition...

Everyone asks me "what phone is that" when I don't have a case. Don't think I have ever been asked when I have the case on it lol.
  4. HenryLuo

HenryLuo Member

Yesterday I wore off the case I had because I realized that this phone is so much cooler without it. Probably it's both cooler and "cooler"because aluminum lets heat outside and it does not get trapped between phone and case. However, this is just a phone.

I forgot to report, that day after my 2,5 year old daughter listened some music using headphones attached to my phone. So good so far, she enjoyed it. Actually she enjoyed that so much that she wanted to tell me all about it and because of that, she ran to kitchen where I was, with Grado headphones in hear ears and my naked HTC One behind her. It wouldn't be so bad if our kitchen floor wasn't made of stones..

Well, first scratches..
  5. mattjlomax

mattjlomax Active Member

I also prefer to go without a case, got my phone on release day, and the phone still looks factory fresh. No screen protector either, and I don't consider myself easy on phones. Incredible build quality
  6. OGWillikers

OGWillikers Well-Known Member

Update: dropped my phone at work. Back landed on the corner of a steel platform and tumbled through some cutting oil and metal dust. Now I have a scuff about the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen that can't be felt, just seen.

A++++++ would drop again.
    garyft, rgs and JimKnuckles like this.
  7. Hjortron

Hjortron Active Member

Hi.
    Are you using a case on your HTC One? I generally hate cases, but I feel like this thing is more damage prone than my One X+. Whereas the One X+ has a soft-touch polycarbonate body, which is pretty resistant to scuffs & scratches (they honestly just wipe right off), the new One just feels a lot more fragile to me, in that the slightest knock will dent & ding it. And that rounded back looks to me like it'll just get all scuffed & dinged up after sitting on enough bar tables, or knocking around in my pocket, rubbing up against metal buttons, etc. Are you finding that the One is durable, and able to withstand the typical wear & tear of everyday life, or are you finding that a case is absolutely necessary with this phone?
  8. emilioaponte

emilioaponte Active Member

Otter Box. In my formers HTC ONE X and HTC ONE X+, and in my current HTC ONE , Otter Box all the way.
  9. godzilla932

godzilla932 Well-Known Member

Same here Otterbox
  10. kylecummins

kylecummins Well-Known Member

CruzerLite TPU in smoke.

Enough protection for me (and I work in construction). And it still shows off the nice design while being fairly sleek and minimal.

Just gotta pull the phone out every day or two to clean stuff caught between the case and phone.
  11. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Well-Known Member Contributor

only problem with most cases, they dont have a hole for the microphone on the back. which distorts phone use.

i have a couple different cases, and i prefer the phone with no case.. had my phone since April.. been in and out of cases, prolly half the time..

makes them so bulky..
    poetic is the best, but poor tight fit
    then otterbox

after that.. the rest just didnt work good for everyday use.
  12. Lenagainster

Lenagainster Active Member

The first thing I asked about when the rep at Costco handed me the phone was if there was a case in the accessory package that came with the deal. The phone felt too thin and too slippery naked. He put the silicone case on the phone and it has stayed on ever since. Does not add much bulk. No screen protector. I do have a leather case that the phone slides in to when in my pocket. Phone is still pristine. (It is hard to find nice, real leather cases without a belt clip).
    Hard for me to believe that the HTC One, or any phone, could go two years unprotected and unscratched.
  13. Coach70

Coach70 Well-Known Member

I have the KaysCase Slim Hard Shell Cover in clear plastic. It is very light and thin, adding just a few millimeters around the device. Because it is clear it shows off the beauty of the phone - I wouldn't consider anything but a clear case on a phone this gorgeous. Literally the day I put the case on I dropped the phone on a concrete step (face down). Now my case is scratched, but the phone lives on.
  14. sauckly

sauckly New Member

Also not using a case. I put the phone down on the back. The camera is just enough depressed that it doesn't come in contact with a flat surface. No scratches! The only sign of wear is the Beats Audio logo is started to wear off.
  15. nancybout

nancybout Active Member

I used it and it seemed fine
  16. Banished Angel

Banished Angel Well-Known Member

I purchased my HTC One from Verizon the day it was released and it was in an Otterbox case before I even left the store. Is it bulky now? Very much so, but it will still be in pristine condition any time I feel like letting it out of its cage and showing it off in all its glory. To each their own.
    KOLIO likes this.
  17. chief113

chief113 Well-Known Member

Looks almost brand new. This thing is sturdy.
  18. Caro332

Caro332 Well-Known Member

I've had it for about a month and shows no scratches. THe only thing is that the Beats Audio logo is fading away but that really doesn't bother me
    KOLIO likes this.
  19. Adar

Adar Well-Known Member

I spent about a week after I got my One, with no case. Then I got my Otterbox Defender. my phone spent the majority of its time in the case. Over the past month though, I split my time between being in the Otterbox Defender, and being naked. Well, naked with a screen protector. I always have a screen protector on it no matter what.

So far, I haven't had any issues with my phone, with or without the case. The case doesn't cause any rubbing on any areas of the phone, and when it ISN'T in the case, I have been lucky enough to have never dropped it. I do find myself being ultra-careful about laying it down on its back. I am paranoid that I will scratch the camera lense.
    KOLIO likes this.
  20. admob

admob Well-Known Member

very good, no case used.. no marks at all... only problem is the white plastic trim does look mucky... a dab of CIF gently brings it round again tho...
  21. Wilkas

Wilkas Well-Known Member

Just a quick update, had the phone since launch and still not using a case.. had a serious drop from about five feet onto a concrete drive and still no marks on it.. one of my pals who has the black version is seeing a different story though, it marks up badly even from just having it in his pocket. Glad I could only get the silver after initially ordering the black one.
  22. KWELIetrnl

KWELIetrnl Member

Both the Mrs. and I have it. Mine is VzW and looks like it did on launch day. The wife has the black version on sprint and although it was purchased a week or so after me, it's already starting to collect scratches. Very happy VzW was limited to silver
  23. chong67

chong67 Well-Known Member

How do you guys handle your phone?

My phone is prepaid and no insurance. I put my phone inside a home made cloth pouch that my wife sew for me. When its laying down it sit on top of the pouch. No scratch. The only thing I notice is the Beats Audio red paint is coming off. Yes I see gap issue on the top and bottom.
  24. dibblebill

dibblebill Well-Known Member

I haven't a gap, yet, but I'm sorely tempted to take my Otterbox off to enjoy that GORGEOUS aluminium finish again.
  25. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Well-Known Member Contributor

no gap for me.. my beats logo has come halfway off.. i dont use a case.. i have had the phone almost a year.. prolly 75% of the time the phone has been out of the case.. and its handled very well.. looks great.. so much better than with that otterbox on it..