• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Not very impressed by invisibleSHIELD

I installed the Phantom Skinz and will be using that in conjunction with the shell/holster. It's not hard to install the Phantom Skinz, just time consuming to do it correctly. Slow and steady, and you will be all good. I have no problems with sensitivity on the screen either. Once completely dried, you cannot tell that there is anythere besides the sheen.

@johnlgalt: The skin protects the corner of the beveled edges only. The flat edge around the middle is left unprotected. I can see getting scratches and scrapes along that edge and the lip where the screen and beveled edge meet. I have had dirt get in between the phone and shell on previous phones and scratch it up. That is why I will be using the shell/holster combo as well.

Upvote 0
I have had dirt get in between the phone and shell on previous phones and scratch it up. That is why I will be using the shell/holster combo as well.

Same thing happened to me which is whats stopping me from doing any sort of hard case.

Also, I think I'll be removing the Zagg. The tiny imperfections that I thought wouldn't bother me, well, they are bothering me. A lot.

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to me which is whats stopping me from doing any sort of hard case.

Also, I think I'll be removing the Zagg. The tiny imperfections that I thought wouldn't bother me, well, they are bothering me. A lot.
I already know I am going to drop/scratch/scuff/whatever this phone eventually. I'm just trying to delay that with both skin and shell. I just hope the shell doesn't start peeling up my skin.

Upvote 0
Guys I need to know if Ghost Armor has the Orange peel feel or not.
I have the Phantom Skinz installed and it is smooth. Wish I could help with your question, but I highly recommend Phantom Skinz. With any skin that you get, take your time and it will pay off. I took about an hour and a half, and it looks great. Does not hinder sliding fingers across screen or sensitivity (Phantom Skinz, not sure about others).

EDIT: From looking at the Ghost Armor website and the video, it appears that the film is smooth.

Upvote 0
Just tried to install my full body invisibleSHIELD glove...I can't say I'm very impressed. The screen piece did not go well at all...and has been removed and discarded. Every other piece ended up being either 2-3mm too long or too short. This was fairly easy to overcome with the side pieces...but the screen piece was slightly too large as well, and seeing as the glass is just barely sunk beneath the rest of the casing, it was obvious how bad the fit was.

I thought Verizon had a scratch guard film that fit the Droid, does anyone know if it's as good? If so, will they install? I don't want to wait another week for a screen piece from Zagg...especially when I know the install won't go well.
Doesn't invisibleSHIELD have a lifetime warranty? And you threw it away? WTF... It might have just been a defective unit.

Upvote 0
Did you not read at all or did you just get a kick out of being a jackass? Pieces too large for the device aren't going to go on well. As I said it wasn't a problem for the pieces that went around the edges because I could cut off excess length, or ignore a lack of. The display piece stretched from the very edge of the top (going over the hole for the internal speaker just fine), to going up and over the edge at the bottom of the screen.

It would have been nice as well for them to even give me a spray bottle with their installation solution. Instead, I got a "pouch" with a sponge soaked in it, that wasn't even sealed...so it leaked and completely soaked both my instructions and microfiber cloth. That's not exactly a quality product.

OK, put it back in your pants there old timer.

You one from a bad batch. I've never had any quality issues from Zagg in the past. Did you get it directly from them? Could it have been snide?

Upvote 0
that goes away. Only if I've been cleaning with harsh chemicals and my hands are dried and chapped is there drag. After a week or so it smooths out and the drag goes away.

I've got zagg shields on several of my products and it's true for all of them, the drag and bubbles work themselves out and then you've got a very very scratch resistant surface.

Also, and I don't know how this happened, but somehow my G1 is MORE touch sensitive after the zagg was put on.
I was ready to rip this Invisible Shield off until I read your post. I'm gonna give it a few more days and see if the tacky feel goes away...I hope so because it seems to attracting more dirt.

Upvote 0
The side pieces always attract a lot of dirt/dust/lint. I usually don't even keep them on, I usually just cut the piece small enough to cover the corners because that is where you are most likely to get scratches or wear and tear. On my DROID I have the screen protector, the battery door, the camera/"with google" piece, and the top and bottom parts covered. I had the side pieces on but they attract so much dirt and stuff that I took them off. Also I HIGHLY recommend Phantom Skinz over Zagg, they are VERY smooth with NO tacky feel at all. You get the exact same type of "self healing" film and they are much more affordable (2 screen protectors for $10 OR 2 full body shields for $25 and they have a sale right now that drops it to $7 and $18, always free shipping) plus you still get a LIFETIME replacement warranty. I use to really like Zagg until I tried the Phantom Skinz and hands down they are far superior to the Zagg. Check them out Cell Phone Screen Protectors, Invisible Protection Skins & Screen Covers | PhantomSkinz.com

Upvote 0
+1 for PhantomSkinz. Installed one on both my wife's and my Droids. No bubbles after 24 hours and very smooth, no drag or orange peel. I washed my hands thoroughly and installed in a steamy bathroom as to prevent any imperfections getting under the skin. Plus, for $6.96 for 2 protectors, you can't beat it.

Upvote 0
I just have the VZ screen protector. works great for me. takes some practice / skill to install with no bubbles. but i got it on good. the rest of the phone is pretty robust with rubberized surfaces. Plus, Im pretty anal about protecting my phones. It gets its own pocket and never shares it with change or keys. just the wallet from time to time.

Upvote 0
Quick question does Ghost Armor have the orange peel feel to it? I bought a InvisibleShield and for somereason with a micro fibre cloth it got scratched... I got it in on tuesday. Tuesday night it was done. Thank god I had the verizon ones too. I ordered a replacement will have it tomorrow. But I dont like the orange peel feel. So Ghost Armor?

I ordered the Ghost Armor shield before I even purchased the phone and received it on the Monday after the Friday launch. I can't say enough good things about it.

There is absolutely no orange peel look/feel to it at all! The screen is every bit as clear as it was naked and I actually think it feels better to the touch than the glass alone. Every piece fit perfectly and it covers everything except for the lens, power, volume, and camera buttons. It even wraps around the corners so everything is well protected. It came with instructions, a tube containing the skin itself, a squeegee, and a bottle of spray solution that is probably big enough to last a lifetime.

I don't have any experience with any of the other brands, but after my experience with this product, I doubt that I'll ever use anything else.

Upvote 0
I put the phamtomskinz on my droid and my wife's iphone night before last. The droid install took a little while to get all the little pieces (full body kit) on it correctly. The iPhone kit was misleading, it has only 3 pieces vs the 11-12 in the droid kit, but with the curved edges, it took FOREVER to get it right. :) My droid is better than my wifes iphone, again!... ;)

I can't even tell the screen protector is on it, and the back of the phone looks great with the glossy panels. Also lowers the "bar of soap in the shower" factor. More so on the iphone, but it feels nice in your hands. Also with the small pieces on the sides, it makes slidinging the screen up to access the keyboard a little easier with the extra friction. I definately recommend the PhamtomSkinz, I personally enjoy assembling/installing stuff, but some might find the install process a bit consuming.

Cheers,

Rob

Upvote 0
quick question on the phantom skin, I really dunk the whole thing in a cup of soap water??? I am used to zagg with the spray. I have spare spray left, can I use this, same diff?

thanks

goon,

In a word......yes. If you run out, mix more fluid and pour it into the sprayer. 1-2 drops of Johnson's Baby Wash in 32 ounces of water works great!

Guru

Upvote 0
I love my Zagg Screen protector. Granted, I didn't install it (The Zagg employee installed it at my local mall).

Same here. I'm going to be honest here and say that the biggest reason most users on here hate the zagg is because they installed it themselves and either did a poor job on it or didn't take their time. I got mine installed at the local mall as well because I know that I've had a hard time installing these before so I had them do it and love my invisibleshield.

Upvote 0
Okay... so none of these protective shields actually cover the corners (the most vulnerable parts, in my phone dropping experience)?

The Motorola Droid has a shape that makes us design small strips to cover the corners and edges. Admitted they are difficult to apply. Please see our Tech Tips to aid in the installation. We do try and cover as much of the Motorola Droid as possible.

Guru

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones