1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support Note 2 Keyboard switching from Swiftkey to Samsung

1. michaelsrevel

michaelsrevel Member

Need some help...

I just got the note 2 and promptly installed Swiftkey. I made Swiftkey my default keyboard. However, for some reason, the phone keeps making the Samsung keyboard the default. I can go and switch it back. But maybe 30 minutes to an hour later, it switches right back to the samsung keyboard.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Well-Known Member

Mine does the same thing! Very annoying, so I'm hoping for someone who knows a fix.
  3. lcneed

lcneed Well-Known Member

Not exactly a fix, because mine does the same thing still. But if you download Swiftkey Flow Beta, and set it as default, it does not switch back after reboot! And Swiftkey Flow Beta is just like Swiftkey but with flow! And is free!... for now...
  4. JDfan3340

JDfan3340 Member

I have Perfect Keyboard Pro, and it always switches after a restart. VERY annoying. But I just switch it back.
  5. SLRdude

SLRdude Well-Known Member

Mine switches back after a restart and it used to (at times) switch after using an app killer/memory optimizer type app.

I white listed Swiftkey and it now only changes back when I reboot. Very very annoying.
  6. phonedroid

phonedroid Well-Known Member

The samsung keyboard replaces swiftkey on my N2 on every provocation. Mor
  7. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

I use SwiftKey and I've had no such issues, are you sure the Samsung keyboard is unchecked everywhere, SwiftKey will go through language and keyboards initially so it shouldn't switch back after a reboot
  8. JDfan3340

JDfan3340 Member

Mine won't let me uncheck it. It has a permanent check. And mine only does it after re-start, not randomly like some of you have said.
  9. SLRdude

SLRdude Well-Known Member

Same here.
    The box is checked and greyed out.
  10. grap17

grap17 Member

I've got the exact same issue but I haven't found any solution to fix this :(
  11. Fr0stTr0n

Fr0stTr0n Well-Known Member

My new Note 2 also doing this and it really pisses me off!
  12. 10sNinja

10sNinja Active Member

No issues for me either regardless of which keyboard I've used to replace Samsung. Sticking with Swiftkey beta though.
  13. rabernet

rabernet Well-Known Member

I'm worried I might jinx myself, but I put Swiftkey on mine when I first got it, and I haven't seen the Samsung keyboard since.
  14. R4nd0mJ0k3r

R4nd0mJ0k3r Well-Known Member

Weird, lot's of people seem to be having this issue, I never have. Used to use regular Swiftkey, now using Flow Beta. Haven't had this problem with either... :confused:

Using N7100 Note 2, international, unlocked. What's yours?
  15. lcneed

lcneed Well-Known Member

I have both Swiftkey3 and Swiftkey Flow Beta. If I set Swiftkey3 as default, it will go back to Samsung keyboard after a reboot. If I set Swiftkey Flow Beta as default, it will stay as default after reboot. This is on AT&T Note II.

Last night my Swiftkey Flow Beta expired! I was in panic... what am I am going to do?? Luckily I found the Beta 2 download. :p
  16. grap17

grap17 Member

I guess you may be interested by this link :
    It seems this is a well known issue and being addressed...

support.swiftkey.net/forums/116693-2-swiftkey-bugs-/suggestions/3017556-after-jelly-bean-update-swiftkey-keeps-returning-#comments
    lcneed likes this.
  17. sudbury78

sudbury78 Active Member

Widespread issue yet I'm lucky to not have it happen. Are you setting the default keyboard right above the keyboard selection to swiftkey?
  18. lcneed

lcneed Well-Known Member

That makes sense! So it is a Jellybean thing and depends on how Google Play installs the app. That would explain why Swiftkey Flow Beta stays as default because it was side loaded instead of installed by Play store.
  19. grap17

grap17 Member

well, I am now using android version 4.1.2 and swiftkey 4.
    But unfortunately, I still have the same issue ...
  20. Heifzilla

Heifzilla Active Member

Yup. This is my experience as well.

Sent from my Note 2
  21. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me Guide

This is the first I've heard of keyboards not sticking after a reset. Just for the purpose of this post I switched 3 different keyboards- restarting after each one and they all stuck.

Now to find some wood to knock on.
  22. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

No issues here either. I can switch between different keyboards and it stays as selected. I'm still on 4.1.1, but it shouldn't make a difference. Btw, with Swiftkey they always recommend to uninstall an old version, even offer that as one of the options in their setup. Furthermore, make sure you are not running a beta version of their keyboard (in case if it got disabled). For example, they had a free beta of Flow which stops working after expiration date even so it's still available to select from the list. Also, if you installed or updated to a new version of Swiftkey or another keyboard, don't assume it will work by default even if selected. Click on its icon/shortcut and run through setup/config.

Oh, and did I mention - I LOVE the latest Swiftkey with integrated FLOW!!! Not just an accuracy of spellchecker and Swype (still mind boggling to me how they get it), but an amazing prediction of typical phrase patterns. In some occasions, I swype the first word and than just "type" by selecting the next suggested word. Hands down, the best keyboard for one handed typing which is very important with such a big phone. Plus, you do get Split layout in landscape.

ONE very important thing, do you have an external keyboard plugged into your GN2, through OTG cable? If you do, it ALWAYS switches to default Sammy keyboard, no matter what other keyboard you have selected.
  23. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me Guide

Every android phone I ever had I always ended up getting apps & keyboards that ran circus around stock. My note 2 is the 1st one in which the stock experience I actually enjoy; that includes the keyboard and since upgrading to 4.1.2 Samsungs' stock keyboard just got even better and faster.
  24. lcneed

lcneed Well-Known Member

That's strange. I just tried it and it still default back to Samsung keyboard. It doesn't really matter much to me as I reset my phone about once a month.

I have the latest Swiftkey and uninstalled the Flow beta. I am on AT&T though and one 4.1.2, but it was the same when I was on 4.1.1. Maybe Verizon has a fix for it but not AT&T.
  25. phonedroid

phonedroid Well-Known Member

My guess is everybody who tries to use after market screen keyboards will have the same problem if they try to change away from the samsung keyboard. I have even more serious troubles with my BT keyboard. I had to get an app called BT keyboard helper pro and it's only partily successful resisting the samsung keyboard. If you try to not use the Samsung keyboard it turns into a pig with a laundry list of nasty tactics to discourage using any other keyboards. It's no innocent mistake. One of their programers could fix it in a couple of hours.