• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 2 updated and then died...

averider

Lurker
Jun 17, 2014
Hello i am new to the forum so please excuse me if i am posting in the wrong area or if this topic has already been addressed. I have a note 2 from t mobile the phone is completely stock and has been working fine for the past 1.5 years. This morning when i checked my phone it was on the charger and the screen was lit up and it had a large picture of the android icon in the center , in the top left it had some specs and number in a small font and at the bottom it said downloading do not turn off power. I found this strange because i had not turned the phone on at all nor had i started any sort of update . I thought maybe it was the kit lat update finally rolling out so i left the phone alone for about 20 minutes. I came back later to check my phone and the screen was black , no charging light at the top or lights of any kind. After trying to turn it on a few times with no luck i removed the battery and let the device sit for a few minutes and still that phone is unresponsive and for lack of a better term dead. I called tech support through tmobile and we tried to turn the phone on into recovery mode but still no luck. The tmobile tech support rep said that everything appears to be fine on his end and he has no idea what could be working with the phone.

Before i go down the road of possibly using my insurance to get a new device or just getting a new phone all together i would like to check in with all of you and see if this is a known issue in the note 2/ android community. i have a few hundred pictures on the phone that i had not yet saved to the memory card so i would really like to get the device working again just to get those pictures. I have planned on getting the note 4 in the future so i really don't want to pay my deductible to get a refurbished note 2 in the mean time. Thank you in advance for any help.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums, averider. :)

Sorry you are having problems with your phone. It does sound like you were receiving and OTA update and it was in the process of installing it. I haven't heard of the update itself bricking the Note2 but I will move this thread to the Note 2 section so other owners can tell you for certain.

Sometimes these things need a little "kick" to get them going. Assuming nothing got fried during the update or it's a coincidental hardware failure, try holding the power button for 30 seconds or so, to see if you can force a reboot. Usually a battery pull will do that but you never know.

Also, when you plug it in, do you see any lights at all? When you press the power button, is there any sort of screen response? or is it just dead?

Reactions: averider
Upvote 0
thanks for the response i have pulled the battery a few times and tried holding the power button with no luck.When its plugged in to the charger i don't get any charging light or lights at all, its as if the phone is dead but i know the battery is charged and its got power going to it from the charger.

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to the forums :)

This thread has been moved to the Galaxy Note 2 Forums.

Sorry to hear about the issue you are having. So have you tried going into recovery and factory resetting the device?

I heard the TMo guy tried to do this for you, but you couldn't. If you hold the increase sound, menu button, and power button it should boot into recovery and use the volume buttons to move up and down and once over factory reset hit the power button

WARNING: This will delete all of the data on your phone, but you seem like you're out of options. :(

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to the forums :)

This thread has been moved to the Galaxy Note 2 Forums.

Sorry to hear about the issue you are having. So have you tried going into recovery and factory resetting the device?

I heard the TMo guy tried to do this for you, but you couldn't. If you hold the increase sound, menu button, and power button it should boot into recovery and use the volume buttons to move up and down and once over factory reset hit the power button

WARNING: This will delete all of the data on your phone, but you seem like you're out of options. :(

thanks for the response yes i have tried doing this quite a few times and the phone is completely unresponsive and i am unable to get the phone into recovery mode. I have tried it with the phone on the charger, off the charger and it does not respond wither way.

Upvote 0
I have a few more suggestions. First if you can, walk it into a t-mobile store and see if they will swap a battery just to test. It could be that the battery just blew a circuit. If that doesn't work, we'd have to assume that your battery is okay at which point I'd take the battery out and let the phone sit overnight just to make sure there isn't some odd capacitance keeping your phone from booting. If, after all that it still doesn't power on, then I guess you need to look into replacing it.

Upvote 0
I have a few more suggestions. First if you can, walk it into a t-mobile store and see if they will swap a battery just to test. It could be that the battery just blew a circuit. If that doesn't work, we'd have to assume that your battery is okay at which point I'd take the battery out and let the phone sit overnight just to make sure there isn't some odd capacitance keeping your phone from booting. If, after all that it still doesn't power on, then I guess you need to look into replacing it.

i will try that thank you. the rep on the phone also had me remove the battery and hold the power button for about a minute to clear any possible static that could be built up in the phone.

Upvote 0
Most phones have a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

I'd like to see a company that guarantees for 2 years though.:D

you are correct its a 1 year warranty however my credit card i used adds an additional 1 year to the warranty in theory so i my try that. I have a crack on my screen though which I'm pretty sure would void the warranty. The crack has been there for 5 months and is not at all associated with the issue never the less I'm sure it will void the warranty. hopefully since the credit card company would be handling the claim it just may work.

Upvote 0
you are correct its a 1 year warranty however my credit card i used adds an additional 1 year to the warranty in theory so i my try that. I have a crack on my screen though which I'm pretty sure would void the warranty. The crack has been there for 5 months and is not at all associated with the issue never the less I'm sure it will void the warranty. hopefully since the credit card company would be handling the claim it just may work.

Depends on which company they (credit card company) use for the insurance. Also, what is exactly covered in the warranty.

Upvote 0
Did you ever try getting the T Mo folks to try a new battery in the device for you? First of all, when a LiON battery dies, it dies. Not like the old NiCAD where you can get a bit of power out of one. In fact, the LiON batteries don't slowly die. If you were getting a full 24 hours out of the battery and it begins to dies, you would only see an hour or two difference before complete utter battery death. You also indicated that the phone was 1.5 years old, is it the original battery? If so, it could be the battery. Aside from the chemistry of LiON batteries, these new phones/batteries also have circuitry built into the battery, so if it gets fried the batter would be trashed also. Having them "test" a new battery in the phone would be an easy test.

Upvote 0
Did you ever try getting the T Mo folks to try a new battery in the device for you? First of all, when a LiON battery dies, it dies. Not like the old NiCAD where you can get a bit of power out of one. In fact, the LiON batteries don't slowly die. If you were getting a full 24 hours out of the battery and it begins to dies, you would only see an hour or two difference before complete utter battery death. You also indicated that the phone was 1.5 years old, is it the original battery? If so, it could be the battery. Aside from the chemistry of LiON batteries, these new phones/batteries also have circuitry built into the battery, so if it gets fried the batter would be trashed also. Having them "test" a new battery in the phone would be an easy test.

yes i took the phone into a tmobile store and tried a battery and still no luck.

Upvote 0
Well its been 11 days or so since my note 2 died. I let the phone sit with the battery out for the past 5 days. I put the battery in today and it works! It charged up and seems to be working fine. So i have no idea why its now working again but i will take it . So now just incase it dies again soon id like to save all y pics and videos to the memory card can someone point me in the direction of an existing thread that explains the process or let me know how here either way works for me i just want to get these pics on a memory card asap just incase the phone randomly dies tonight again .

Upvote 0
Well its been 11 days or so since my note 2 died. I let the phone sit with the battery out for the past 5 days. I put the battery in today and it works! It charged up and seems to be working fine. So i have no idea why its now working again but i will take it . So now just incase it dies again soon id like to save all y pics and videos to the memory card can someone point me in the direction of an existing thread that explains the process or let me know how here either way works for me i just want to get these pics on a memory card asap just incase the phone randomly dies tonight again .

If it was me I would connect my Note 2 to the computer and transfer every photo off including the SD card just in case

Upvote 0
If it was me I would connect my Note 2 to the computer and transfer every photo off including the SD card just in case

i have tried that i have a macbook and i downloaded the android file transfer but my computer doesn't recognize the phone and i just get stuck on the screen that says please connect android device so it looks like my only option is to transfer all pics to the memory card and then from there upload the images from the memory card onto my macbook

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones