• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 4 wifi connectivity Issue...help

robrileyw

Lurker
Dec 17, 2014
My brand new Note 4 has always worked flawlessly with my home route via wifi (the past month). However, once I try going to a public wifi hotspot, such as my local ymca, my Note 4 just keeps saying "obtaining ip address" and eventually ends up saying "failed to obtain ip address" or "avoided poor internet connection". Also, after entering in a password on a wifi network at work, it will say saved, secured but drops the wifi as soon as i attempt to you use the internet...

I have been to a few hotels where I was able to connect to there free wifi after entering a password. I have researched this problem as being linked to android devices. There are some tips or workarounds that I've found that may or may not work for me but here they are:

1) Set frequency band to 2.4ghz only
2) Set to static ip
3) Turn airplane mode on, then back off
4) Do a factory reset on the phone

Before I attempt all of these options at my local Ymca, I would like some feedback from others. Has anyone came up with a sure fire fix for this issue on android devices? Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks to all !

In addition to the above what you've done, try unchecking "Avoid poor connections", if it's checked, uncheck it. "Static IP" shouldn't be needed, unless an AP specifically needs that. You'd have to check with whomever runs the WiFi network for that.

Not had any real WiFi problems as such on Androids I've had, including a couple of Samsung phones. Only issue I came across recently, couldn't connect to the WiFi at a hostel in Hong Kong. But a couple of other people were having difficulty connecting to it as well, laptops could connect but phones and tablets couldn't, they rebooted the AP and that fixed it.

WiFi at work, you may not be able to connect even if you know the password, because it's often restricted to authorized devices only for security reasons. So you may have get them to register your phone's MAC address, or you might have to install their WAPI certificate.

YMCA should be OK, probably either password protected or it's open, but has a landing page you have to register or login on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones