• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 4 won't connect to PC

Bluetuna

Dec 6, 2016
I tried connecting my Note 4 to both of my computers last night but it is having issues. A few times it worked but midway through a data transfer it stopped working. When I rebooted my computer it froze at the windows starting screen. A few times it showed the device in My Computer but it wouldn't open or show my folders. Sometimes it won't even recognize the device. I have a windows 7 machine and a windows 10 laptop.

I have a feeling it's a driver issue. I tried going to Samsung's website and downloading the driver for my phone. However, when looking through the list of drivers, my model number didn't come up. I ended up just downloading the driver for the Tmobile Note 4 that matched my color and storage capacity.

Windows tried to automatically install a driver for my phone but hat doesn't seem to be working either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Try this:
Unpack zip and run appropriate application as administrator. Right click and uninstall any driver that looks Android related. Restart computer and plug device in to USB. Wait patiently and see if Windows installs the proper driver.

Thank you. I will try that when I get home.

Can you make sense of why my model number isn't showing up on Samsung's site? Is the second part of the model number in reference to the baseband version? If so, none of the choices match mine.

Also, are those drivers actually different? I can't imagine the refurbished model has a different driver. Or that the white one has a different driver than the black one.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I will try that when I get home.

Can you make sense of why my model number isn't showing up on Samsung's site? Is the second part of the model number in reference to the baseband version? If so, none of the choices match mine.

Also, are those drivers actually different? I can't imagine the refurbished model has a different driver. Or that the white one has a different driver than the black one.

I'm seeing from your profile page you have Note 4 and your carrier is T-Mobile. Do you have the actual model #? I'm not seeing it.

Edit: That said, there isn't much variation in drivers. I would definitely stick to the Windows 7 machine though.

Sometimes a driver will not install properly and can cause a. . . . blockage. That's what the program shows. You might be shocked at how many drivers are actually installed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So in about device the model is: SM-N910T

The model listed on Samsung's download page is: SM-N910TTZKETMB-R. It claims to be the driver for a Samsung Note 4 32GB, T-mobile version which is what mine is.

I looked under the battery and the number is the same.

I'm reinstalling the driver now.

The only thing I can think of is that the phone might be from another country. I bought it on Ebay a while back. It works perfectly. I did have a data connection issue but I fixed that by installing a new sim card. Been using it for months with zero issues other than trying to connect it to my PC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I just swapped the cable just to rule it out. I had a brand new Amazon Basics in my desk. Plugged it in and it started working. Then I shut down the computer. Removed the phone from the USB cable. Then booted it up. It hung up on the starting windows screen again........ The last time that happened, it froze and I had to do a reset. The computer booted and asked me if I wanted to check/repair system. This time it ended up going through.

This computer is pretty new, built in October. Been running fine.

Upvote 0
So I connected it again and this time it failed to connect. Rebooted the computer and it hung up again on the starting windows screen. It seems to only do it when I hook up the phone.

I previously had a another PC and a Note 2. That phone had issues connecting to Windows 7 too.

I have a feeling that Windows doesn't play well with android.

Upvote 0
Dispense with the hub.......... experience talking here.

also, try all of the USB ports, on this laptop, only 1 port works every time.

Now, when you go to remove the phone from the PC, please, paleez, make a point of dismounting it first, ( Linux ) or in Windows bring up the USB mini-menu and choose 'eject'.

if you don't, you stand a very high chance of corrupting drivers and even more sometimes. Like files left open and not closed.

On my current Note 4, I could not find a driver that matches the ROM in my rooted phone, so, I just chose the generic Samsung USB driver and it worked just fine.

Upvote 0
Dispense with the hub.......... experience talking here.

also, try all of the USB ports, on this laptop, only 1 port works every time.

Now, when you go to remove the phone from the PC, please, paleez, make a point of dismounting it first, ( Linux ) or in Windows bring up the USB mini-menu and choose 'eject'.

if you don't, you stand a very high chance of corrupting drivers and even more sometimes. Like files left open and not closed.

On my current Note 4, I could not find a driver that matches the ROM in my rooted phone, so, I just chose the generic Samsung USB driver and it worked just fine.

I've been shutting the computer down before removing the phone.

I just tried using a USB3 port directly off the computer case. No go. The device shows up but when I open it, nothing shows up........

Upvote 0
It's almost hopeless unfortunately. The USB port on the phone is either damaged or debris is blocking one or more of the ports's contacts. Search "cleaning phone USB port" or something like that. Compressed air is one option, but you have to be lucky.

This is why Apple and Samsung switched to symmetrical ports, thus reducing damage caused by inserting the USB cable in incorrectly.

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
I've been shutting the computer down before removing the phone.

I just tried using a USB3 port directly off the computer case. No go. The device shows up but when I open it, nothing shows up........
The phone is unlocked when you connected right? The phone won't show contents when locked but detected.

Reactions: AZgl1500
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones