• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 7 specs - whoa! (if it becomes a reality..)

I also really liked my Note 3 and had it almost 2 years. I got a slightly used Note 4 Dev edition, mostly because I wanted to get the Oculus VR (I did). The N4 heats up badly while running Oculus apps unfortunately. Overall, there is little difference between the N3 an N4, and in fact I like how the shorter N3 feels in hand better. Bottom line, I should have waited and not gotten the N4, but oh well.

This time around, while I am disappointed that the processor and Ram are the SAME as the 6 month old S7, I will still be getting the Note 7. I like the IP68 waterproofing, the 64gb internal, the SD card slot, the improved camera (over my N4) and the smaller bezels since it is and edge display. The phone does have a metal back BTW - which is something else I was happy with. Unless there is a bombshell "con" that comes out about the phone between now and release date, I will be moving on from my N4 to the N7.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
WTF.

Here's Samsung's official specs for the Note 7. Am I not seeing it, or have they completely omitted publishing the device's amount of RAM?

http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/galaxy-note-7-features-and-specs/

How do they arrive at the calculated decision to purposefully withhold what's arguably at least the second most important spec for the entire device?

Un-flippin-believeable!!!!!!!!! I don't see the RAM listed anywhere on Samsung's own website either! Even after clicking "show more specs" button.

This absolutely smells shrewd to me
Samsung is the 2nd largest phone manufacturer in the world! They have their own chip foundry. They are one of the biggest producers of RAM in Personal Computing and they probably hold a majority stake in the Mobile world RAM production. They make their own Flash Memory and RAM. They make their money by charging all of the other guys (including Apple) a premium to use Samsung brand RAM and Flash chips.

Samsung should be able to outfit the phone with the best RAM, for cheaper. But it is easier to just keep charging the other guys (especially the startups and new guys on the block) higher prices?

Upvote 0
I was watching Marques' video of his impressions on the Note 7 and was wireless charging built into the S7/S7 Edge w/o needing an attachment? The Note 7 apparently needs an attachment to charger wirelessly? I didn't know that. That's a little disappointing.

No.. you've misunderstood. It is a battery back with batteries in it that charges the phone wirelessly. The phone alone by itself can still charge wirelessly on any other normal wireless charger.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
No.. you've misunderstood. It is a battery back with batteries in it that charges the phone wirelessly. The phone alone by itself can still charge wirelessly on any other normal wireless charger.

Ohhh, okay. Thanks for clarifying. I was like, why the heck would they do that!...LOL. Now I want the extra battery back accessory too, cuz I had purchased one like that for my Note 3 and Note 2...hahaha.

Upvote 0
I think I will likely end up getting that battery back case also. Depending on cost.

I have watched all the videos I can find so far of hands on use, I have to say I am happy with how things look and work overall with the phone so far from those first videos. I do like that the edge feature is not as pronounced - I doubt I will even use the edge feature, but it's nice to have basically no bezel or wasted space. The phone is significantly smaller than the N5 in a comparison video I saw of the two. Especially the width. I've wanted a phone with basically zero bezels for a while, although a case will widen it a bit, still it will be narrower overall.

Upvote 0
Un-flippin-believeable!!!!!!!!! I don't see the RAM listed anywhere on Samsung's own website either! Even after clicking "show more specs" button.

This absolutely smells shrewd to me
Samsung is the 2nd largest phone manufacturer in the world! They have their own chip foundry. They are one of the biggest producers of RAM in Personal Computing and they probably hold a majority stake in the Mobile world RAM production. They make their own Flash Memory and RAM. They make their money by charging all of the other guys (including Apple) a premium to use Samsung brand RAM and Flash chips.

Samsung should be able to outfit the phone with the best RAM, for cheaper. But it is easier to just keep charging the other guys (especially the startups and new guys on the block) higher prices?

Keep the inventory low for 1H2016 to stifle the market for 2H2016?
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160731PD200.html

Upvote 0
Wow. If this turns out to be for real, I'm going to have a real problem with Samsung. I just order my US Note 7 from Verizon yesterday..

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138...be-for-china-it-seems-dual-sim-and-6gb-of-ram

I saw that too. It wouldn't surprise me. Samsung has done that with several of their phones, ever since the Note 2. The Note 2 actually had 16, 32, 64 available in Korea, but US providers opted to offer the single 16gb option. On the Note 3, they charged more, but made the base model 32gb, but in Korea offered at 64gb option. On the Note 4, I can't remember if the same scenario came into play, but again charged more. Then, on the Note 5, since they did away with the microSD (in what they called a "compromise" to spend on creating a metal/glass phone), they finally offered a 32 or 64gb version, again charged more, but then later offered a 128gb version...Korea exclusive. Something to keep in mind though is that, Samsung isn't a US based company, while Apple is. So, their need to offer the full range of choices for US consumers isn't as high, especially considering that the US consumer base still buys their products (even without the offerings that they provide to the rest of the world), myself included.

So, seeing as how this has been Samsung's track record in the past, I'm banking on there being higher memory/storage versions available elsewhere. One thing I love is the fact that I'm on a GSM network now, so if any of those models support all of T-Mobile's LTE bands/radios, then I'd be able to purchase one of the unlocked versions to use over here. That's one bonus that I never got to experience while on Sprint.

Reactions: sven1olaf
Upvote 0
Wow. If this turns out to be for real, I'm going to have a real problem with Samsung. I just order my US Note 7 from Verizon yesterday..

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138...be-for-china-it-seems-dual-sim-and-6gb-of-ram

What, specifically, do you think you won't be able to do with 4GB of RAM on this phone? The phone is gonna fly. Are you just looking for bragging rights? 6GB of RAM just is not needed.

In practical day-to-day use of the the phone, almost no one will notice any difference in 4GB vs 6GB or RAM on a Note 7. The time to worry about spec (alone) is over. All the new flagships run well with just about no lag. I am not sure what would be gained here.

I also ordered the VZW Note 7 in Black). I can't wait..

Upvote 0
Okay, I usually don't get really hype until I actually touch and hold the device. On a whim, I decided to stop by Best Buy, figuring that they'd have it on display, and I was right.

Took some pics for you all. This thing is so damn comfortable to hold, it is unbelievable. And any worry I had about the edge display is completely out the window. I'd venture to say that the usable portion of the glass is where it needs to be and the curve is just enough to activate side menus. If the Blackberry has implemented the curve like the note 7, I think I would be a little more forgiving of that. Sorry, but they didn't have the blue, so no pictures of that. I now am more torn between silver or black. Most likely, I will get silver since I typically get a specific custom skin for every one of my mobile devices.

silver (they really should call it chrome)
IMG_20160805_202720.jpg

black (much more black than last year, which disappointed me a little, since I loved last year's color that had dark blue tones...but still very nice)
IMG_20160805_202648.jpg

And on one of the pics, you'll notice I wrapped my fingers around the device to try touching my fingers together. That's one of the tests I do, for how secure it will feel when I put my phone on standby and am holding it while walking, while still needing to turn it back on after whatever it is that interupts me from phone use. I don't have large hands, so those with larger hands should feel perfectly comfortable with the size.

IMG_20160805_203954.jpg

I have to say, this is the most comfortable I have felt with a phone's ergonomics, since the lg g3. I loved how the note 2 and 3 felt compared to the Note 4 and Note Edge. The height of the Note 4 felt so awkward to me, but the Note 5 felt much better. The Note7, in my opinion, is the most comfortable of all of them to hold. Those worried about accidental touches due to the edge...I really wouldn't worry about that. The ergonomics are designed so well, I didn't find it to be a hinderence at all and I went out of my way to accidentally touch the main screen while messing around with the phone. Unfortunately, no way to test the iris scanner, due to the phone being in store mode. Same thing for not being able to test screen off note taking, on the always on display. Since I think that is activated only thru spen removal, I think that's why it wouldn't work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, when I went into my local T-Mobile to set up pre-order, I saw that they had the blue on display and figured I'd take a pic for you all that hadn't decided on color. It's actually darker in person than I thought it was (based on the renders), but somewhere in between baby blue and royal blue. It's definitely unique and looks much nicer in person, but in looking at the "black" that had dark blue tones (from the Note 5), I'd have swooped up that color over this one.

IMG_20160809_131135.jpg

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
Dang... I need to make a road trip to the nearest Best Buy! I would love to see this puppy in my hand. Maybe tomorrow, as I have to drive past one for a medical appointment :D

Thanks for sharing the pics, guys!

EDIT: I called the Best Buy 35 miles up the road from me, and they have TWO Note7s on display there! So I'll take a detour on the way home and give it a fondle for myself :)

Last edited:
Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Dang... I need to make a road trip to the nearest Best Buy! I would love to see this puppy in my hand. Maybe tomorrow, as I have to drive past one for a medical appointment :D

Thanks for sharing the pics, guys!

EDIT: I called the Best Buy 35 miles up the road from me, and they have TWO Note7s on display there! So I'll take a detour on the way home and give it a fondle for myself :)

Chief...I was actually shocked, when I saw them in person. Initially, I just thought they were S7 Edge phones, until I saw the S-Pen holder/stands they had right next to the phones. I rushed over to hold one of the phones right away and mumbled to myself, "I can't believe how easy this thing is to hold." Then, comparing it to my Priv, I automatically wished I could've swapped out right then! The one thing I've liked on the Priv is the overall form factor to hold it, but had been realizing that they could've made it a little big less wide. After holding the Note 7, it confirmed my thoughts.

Upvote 0
DANG IT! I was running late today and it just about KILLED me to drive past Best Buy! I'm out of town for the next 4 days, which means there's really no easy way for me to hold this thing until I actually go pick it up on the 19th :mad::(

Chief, the blue version I took was at T-Mobile, so if you have a T-mobile in your area, you can go in just to check out the display.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones