• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note II progressively got worse currently bootlooping (app crashes-->factory mode-->efs-->boot loop)

I have a Samsing Galaxy Note II, GT-N7105, which has been progressively gotten worse.

Samsung Galaxy NoteII GT-N7105
Stock 4.4.2
Has been rooted using CF-Autoroot, see below

As far as I can remember back in mid-August the Facebook app would crash. Tried clearing cache and data, re-installing etc. to no avail.
Later it restarted into factory mode and would restart from time to time (early Sept.). I backed it up and re-flashed stock but it still went into factory mode and would occasionally restart itself.
Rooted it to go into the efs folder and edit the file to get it out of factory mode but sadly there was nothing there.
The Facebook app would still open for a few seconds and crash when used. As far as I can tell it's an isolated problem.
Also while in Factory mode I cannot use Android pay.
But today it might have bit the dust. Someone called me on Messenger and halfway through ringing it restarted and was stuck at the "Samsung......Note II" logo.
I have tried another battery (the irrational starts to make sense when you're desperate) but it still gets stuck. I have tried a "hard/cold" reboot by leaving the battery out for over 30 minutes. I have tried getting it into recovery or download mode but it just refreshes back to the boot screen. In fact it launches into the boot screen as soon as you put the battery in, without touching the power button.

Is there a kind soul to save me amidst all that's going wrong in my life?

Last edited:
Hi, doesn't sound good. In order to try to save it, download mode is a must. It is very rare that this is gone. Try removing the battery and holding down the power button for 15-30 seconds to fully discharge. Then reinsert battery and try download mode again.
Press power, volume down and home key. When device vibrates, quickly release power key and then press and hold again. Let me know if it works.

Upvote 0
I can successfully get into download mode. I also tried recovery but I think it bears bad news (see attachment)
I also put it into ADB via recovery and Total Commander with an ADB plugin doesn't see anything :/
IMG_1624.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can successfully get into download mode. I also tried recovery but I think it bears bad news (see attachment)
I also put it into ADB via recovery and Total Commander with an ADB plugin doesn't see anything :/
View attachment 111129
Good news. We can restore your device with a little luck. Three choices now. Netherlands, Greece, or Portugal?

Upvote 0
Netherlands since I'm in the UK I suppose.

Personal data is gone right?
Yes all personal data will be lost.
These are the links to your factory firmware. Pick the appropriate one for your region. Then start a free account and download onto computer. You can find directions for flashing at the bottom of the page. You will need to download Odin there as well. I'll be standing by if you have any questions.

Netherlands: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/35394/N7105XXUFNH1_N7105VDFFNH1_VDF/

Greece: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/34852/N7105XXUFNH1_N7105VGRFNF1_VGR/

Portugal: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/34297/N7105XXUFNH1_N7105OPTFNG2_OPT/

Upvote 0
Purchased off eBay 1.5 years ago. Original owner purchased it from Hong Kong.
I still use cellular data. Am currently with Vodafone (UK)
If you look, both Greece and the Netherlands are Vodafone. The only thing flashing the incorrect firmware could mess up would be connectivity, in this case. If you could boot into android and get the baseband # but....Pull the battery out and see if there are some numbers behind it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
What I had flashed in the past was the generic Hong Kong PDA (what you saw in the recovery)

You might not have to bother asking @ironass
I tried flashing the Dutch PDA and got this:

<ID:0/007> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/007> Odin engine v(ID:3.1101)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/007> sboot.bin
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> FAIL!
<ID:0/007>
<ID:0/007> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Second attempt for the hell of it, stuck at "SetupConnection", scared to yank it out. EDIT: Complete(Write) operation failed

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SmartSwitch was incompatible.
Tried using Odin 3.09 since that's what I used before. Flashed the Dutch and UK Vodafone ROMs, and the HK one I used before. They either failed at NAND or Complete(Write) Operation.

We can safely say that it has become a brick.

Thank you so much Bg260 and whomever you asked about this. I really appreciate the help you've given. I have so much else going wrong right now that you've settled one problem for me. Is there are beer button on this forum or something similar?

Is it worth getting a replacement logic/main board?

Upvote 0
If it was a nand chip, any number of things. The errors in recovery indicated that your partitions were either gone or erased, who knows. Usually if there is signs of life it can be brought back. I've got an S4 in the same condition, but I hold onto it. Hoping to come across a solution someday. So don't throw it out. If anything it can be used for parts.
Also, I've heard that sometimes a .pit file can be used. If you can find it. I would look around XDA. Maybe someone at sometime had the same problem and found a solution.
Cheers.

Thanks for the beer, but I'm an ugly American and I prefer mine cold:D

Upvote 0
My wife recently moved from the note 2 to a note 7. Her note 2 was a great phone. It really didn't start having serious problems till about a year ago. I know her phone hasn't received any updates in more than a year, probably closer to two. The phone was retired and turn into a phablet for our kids.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones