Note taking/drawing apps?

Last Updated: 2012-01-30 15:40:59
  1. Plakius

Plakius Well-Known Member

That's busted. Did you contact developer? If not you should and let them know. Especially since what you're describing is their selling point. :-( http://www.mapleworks.com/software-products/overview-software-products/android-note-taking-app/

Advertisement
  2. adalast

adalast New Member

yeah, i contacted them. i also attached the save file so they could see what's up. just waiting to hear back now. i expect a reply on monday.
  3. adalast

adalast New Member

Here is what i got back from them today.
    is it just me or did that sound like i just got my problem stiffed for an undetermined time? idk about anyone else... but this does not make me happy. one of their selling points is busted and it is a feature that is essential to it working right, and they just blew me off?
    Plakius likes this.
  4. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

no i feel they were being upfront and honest. they could have said "ooh we should have a patch within the week.." then the week gets here and passes and no app. THATS bad PR.
  5. marctronixx

refreshing this thread. id like to hear from more of you if you have a good app that can use the stylus. id like to write direct on the screen with my stylus.. :)
  6. rick_jenkinson

rick_jenkinson New Member

hey im new to tablets and want to get the xoom and use it for my engineering classes. One of the things I really want to use the xoom for is taking notes. It would replace my stacks of note pads, and I could email the notes right from the xoom.

I've tried typing and writing, and each has its advantages and disadvantages. I'd rather have typed notes, since I can work with them in a word processor, and others can add comments easily after they're distributed.

But... I need to be able to include diagrams within the notes, so I need to be able to type, draw a picture and annotate it, and then continue typing.

Is there anything like this out there?
    any help is appreciated
  7. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

Don't hate me, but I would recommend finding a Windows tablet that could run OneNote. It is perfect for doing exactly what you're looking for. I've been looking all over for an application like that for Android, but haven't found anything like that.
    The closest thing that I found was Note Everything. It takes typed notes, photos, videos, audio and lets you draw. I don't think you can have everything on one page but you could keep them in the same project. They've been trying to make it more integrated but I don't think we're there yet.
    One idea I have to try is to grab one of those programs that lets you annotate a PDF. Make yourself a blank one page PDF file, put it in that program and maybe you can mark it up that way? I don't know if by "annotate PDF" they mean highlight and make notes or if you can scribble on it as well. I might look into that myself later.
  8. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

You need a pen tablet to do note taking properly. The problem is they are very expensive and not as light as android tabs.
  9. rick_jenkinson

damn it cause i really want to justify getting a Xoom haha do you think that using a stylus and Maplepaint could give me the same effect as writing/ drawing on a piece of paper? and is legibility and accuracy a problem?
  10. marctronixx

kennychaffin likes this.
  11. johngaltky

johngaltky Active Member

12. clb2196

clb2196 Well-Known Member

How are those 2 in terms of sensitivity, and overall readability? If you've tried maple paint how would you say they compare?
  13. rick_jenkinson

what about something like penultimate? i was playing around on it on a mates ipad and its pretty cool, it even has this this awesome algorithm that when you rest your hand on the screen it doesnt leave a mark on the paper your writing on and you can still write and draw pretty well
  14. clb2196

Aw man, that sounds perfect. :( Haven't seen *any* Android app like that that can deal with your hand on the screen. Hopefully they'll put something out for Android tablets now.
  15. clb2196

Ooh! Check out Genial Writing. It takes your input, then shrinks it down and aligns on note paper. Haven't tried all the features yet, but there's a free version, check it out.
    marctronixx likes this.
  16. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

17. rick_jenkinson

why cant 3.0 have this also?!?! can we send android developers this video and ask for something similar?
  18. 3devious

If I could combine this with photos/drawing it would be perfect. Genial Writing! I also want to try Dio Note which seems to do it but does not have a free trial version.
  19. clb2196

Yeah I mentioned Genial Writing above- I'm pretty impressed. You can also export the notes into Evernote, as well.
  20. 3devious

I have a feeling that it's your post that lead me to it. I agree with your opinion about it. I messed up, it isn't Dio Note, it's Dio Memo. (Good thing the link worked.)
  21. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Hey I like that app, I have a few stylus for the Nintendo DS, you can usually find a pack of 3 or 4 of those for $3 and that might work.
  22. 3devious

I have not had much luck with the stylus.
  23. cousinscott

cousinscott Member

I am a nurse who uses the Xoom on the clinical floor for medication tracking, taking handwritten notes, teaching patients about their condition, etc. I am currently looking for a way to take "on the slide" handwritten notes while in a PowerPoint during meetings or presentations. I have both Quickoffice HD and Docs to Go Premium to view them (prefer Quickoffice HD). Does anyone know of an app or way to make this happen? Thanks in advance!
  24. 3devious

You can get Pen Reader. It kind of replaces your keyboard. You can switch back and forth with input types fairly easily but they need to do some more work to make it seamless. The handwriting recognition isn't bad at all.
  25. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

meinken likes this.