• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

cdnyny

Lurker
Jul 19, 2010
I spent some quality time with the One Note this morning, and while it is a step in the right direction, this device is not ready for prime time. I was initially excited about the One Note as I have been waiting for years for a device that I can use as my everyday notebook. The closest I got to this goal was a Toshiba Windows PC/Tablet circa 2000. It met my needs when the software was not crashing and losing all my notes for the day.

The One Note does not work well as a note-taking device. I give Samsung points for dealing well with palm rejection, but there were times when I inadvertently touched the menu bar at the bottom and got kicked out of the program.

The interface to the Note program is not very intuitive. For example, it took me a few times to get the pen style to change, and moving from portrait to landscape mode I lost half the page and there was not a scroll bar that let me get to the bottom. It would also be nice if there was an icon that would let me lock the orientation so it did not change when the tablet rotated just a bit too much during the normal course of using it.

I tried going through the Photoshop tutorial but it was not well done. I wonder how well Samsung tested this tutorial on "everyday" users.

It may be that some of these issues are addressed but I did not spend enough time to get into that level of detail. But it is the vendor's job to spend the time to get it right, and for what this is advertised to be, Samsung released a product that is, in my opinion, still beta.

I will stick with my Xoom for at least a while longer.

I bought the Note because of the S Pen and I am very pleased. I wish that S Memo will export vector based pdfs, but there are good alternatives out there so is not a big deal (I might still use S Memo anyway as is). One definitely needs to spend some time finding the right configuration/app that works best for his/her needs.

Upvote 0
Was this a Xoom-ver-tisement?

And BTW "genius," if you had bought the Note and read the instruction, or spent more time with it -- OK, this part is a big if -- you would probably have known about that BUTTON in the upper right corner of S Note application that looks like a pen-tip.

Next time you spend "valuable" time with the Note, TURN IT ON. It does wonder to make your first point nothing but a bunch of malarkey. That button disables touch and only excepts pen input.

Oh, and ONLY, if there was a way to lock orientation... Do you really own a XOOM? It's easier to find the rotation-lock under Android, than it is under iOS btw. Yeah, that's right, Android has this magical feature that lets one lock the orientation, like all tablets.

For reference, the magical-elusive-icon, is under the settings menu that's always accessible from the lower right on normal DPI tablets.

And both Samsung and Adobe should have tested Photoshop Touch's tutorial better. I didn't use it, but was able to figure out its quirky way of doing things. I say this as someone that's been using Photoshop since 2.0 on the desktop -- I found Touch to be just passable, not even up to par of early versions of Photoshop Elements in some cases.

And Palm Rejection Technology! :) I've read that quite a bit from the iPad peeps. You know, with the Wacom stylus that the Note uses, when it's close enough to the screen to register its hover state, a boolean is set to false for all touch listeners -- or there's the button mentioned above, that locks out touch-input. Anyways, when I read Palm Rejection Technology, I think of Sanitation Engineer, or worse, VP of first impressions. Some of these names/titles people come up with are silly IMO.

Anyways, get your facts straight before spreading FUD -- well, pass on the FUD, unless that was your goal... I love this tablet, it's absolutely fantastic even with programs like SketchBook Pro being so primitive compared to programs like Painter.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones