Noticeable heat at 1000, not at 950.

Last Updated:

1. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I had my phone at 800 for a while, rock solid stable, no problems.

Then I went to 950, still stable, no problems.

Tried 1000 today, barely up from the 950, and after a few minutes the back of my phone was getting seriously warm. Weird. I have the same max/min and profiles set, but just a 50mHz overclock and all of a sudden I'm noticing this heat increase which I never experienced before. Went back down to 950 and it cooled, back to 1000 and it's getting warm again. I tried it a few times just for scientific purposes, and it definitely warmed up whenever it was clocked at 1000.

Any idea why this would be, or has anybody else noticed this? I don't have a CPU temp monitor installed, but perhaps I should. Is it enabled in the Taz kernel?

Advertisement
  2. Decus22

Decus22 Well-Known Member

I don't feel heat when I bump it up to 1000 from 950 but the spot to the right of the camera always gets hot if I'm using my phone for anything except making a call.

3. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

This is a contradictory statement if I ever read one. :confused:

To the OP, yes, you should purchase the TempMonitor app, you can see both the processor and system board temp (which runs a little warmer). Yes, the Taz kernel is the only one that currently supports the actual processor temp in TempMonitor.

4. bdal1

bdal1 Well-Known Member

OK I'm hijacking here a little. I cant seem to find this specific answer.
    How hot is too hot for the processor? I like an idiot was just using the battery monitor. Anyway I just oc'ed to 1000 and dloaded temp monitor, my processor heat went to 120. It stayed there for about five minutes.
    I know 115 is said to be the high point for battery, is that the same for CPU?

5. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

I've noticed the same thing, vincent, regarding the heat. My guess is that these frequencies might bump up the voltage to the proc. Taz is apparently trying to figure this out.

Again, there really isn't a solid answer for this. I've seen higher temps, taz has seen much higher temps at 1.3ghz. So it can handle it, for the short term. Long term consequences are obviously yet to be seen. What were you running when you get this hot?

6. bdal1

bdal1 Well-Known Member

All I was running was the market. I must have one of those processors.

7. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Honestly, 120 really isn't that hot.