Notification Bar

Last Updated:

1. luckyheel

luckyheel Active Member This Topic's Starter

I must first say that I am a new Droid owner...

I have been trying to tinker/customize my Droid since day 1 and I am constantly viewing forums to try to find the best app to do this and that...

With that said, #1 I wish there was a way to fully customize the Droid similarly to what the rooted phones have done WITHOUT having to root the phone. I just don't feel completely comfortable doing things to electronics that void terms of service or contracts.

In any case, I love some of the customizable home screen apps and the ability to have cool clocks or weather widgets. My question though is this: How do you remove the current time/battery icons from the notification bar?

I see no point in having a clock widget on the home page if the time is already showing. So, can I remove these items, specifically the time, from the notification bar?

Thanks in advance and a big THANKS to all of the information within this forum.

Advertisement
  2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Home++ will hide the notification bar completely. It wasnt particularly stable when I last used it but that was months ago. Also keep in mind that stuff is up there so you can still see it when you aren't at the home screen.

3. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

If there were a way to be unrooted and still have the ability to customize your phone the same as the rooted phones, then you would end up with three things:

1) No rooted phones. There would be no point.

2) No warranty.

3) The ability to brick your phone without rooting.

It's a trade-off. What you are talking about is completely the opposite... the ability to edit system configuration files without having the ability to edit system configuration files.

With that said... rooting is, at the moment, rather low risk. (Providing you can follow directions.) If you want to change the look of your phone beyond what you can now... I say go for it. You can find a great deal of writeups on how to do what you are asking about, and it is actually pretty simple once rooted. In fact, most of what you are asking about can be done with apps, so you don't even have to worry about touching anything yourself. Metamorph (free in market) to change look/color/transparency in everything. There is also a free app in market which allows you to change clock color, and as of about a month ago, he had every intention of adding the option to remove the clock completely as well. If not, there are always other ways which also don't rely on you having to go into system files yourself.

Just some food for thought.

And no, you can't remove notification icons and such without having root.

luckyheel likes this.