• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Notification customization

xbowtie

Lurker
Nov 23, 2012
Hii,

I've looked around for ages and haven't been able to find a solution. I'm looking for a way to achieve either one of these things (ideally both):

1. Is there a way to customize the notification bar so that it doesn't group similar notifications? For example, if I have 3 unread text messages, can it list each text as a separate notification with previews? So instead of it showing 1 notification that reads "New messages - 3 unread", it would say "John Smith - textpreview" , "Jane Doe - text preview", etc. Also, it would be great if this could be changed for all apps - Whatsapp, gmail, facebook, etc.!

2. This kind of branches off the first. Would there be a way for these notifications to show up on the lockscreen? With each new text, email or other notification as a separate notification.

Thanks! :)

The first one will be sort of possible with the JellyBean update. Whilst the notifications are grouped, you have the option to expand them so you can see them individually. You can't open them individually, so clicking the notification of the message from John Smith won;t take you to his message, but the message app itself.

Other than that, I'm not quite sure, sorry!

Not with the stock lock screen, but you might be able to do this with a combination of an alternative lock screen app (WidgetLocker), SMS Popup and a Gmail notification widget/Popup app?

Upvote 0
You should be able to do number 2 right now with the "productivity" lock screen option

I believe the Productivity lock screen only shows the notifications for the default apps like Messaging, Mail, Phone, Calendar, Tasks, etc. Not sure it will work with 3rd party apps since it's linked to Sense, but worth a try. Sorry I can't test it as I don't have any of those alternative SMS/email apps installed.

Upvote 0
I believe the Productivity lock screen only shows the notifications for the default apps like Messaging, Mail, Phone, Calendar, Tasks, etc. Not sure it will work with 3rd party apps since it's linked to Sense, but worth a try. Sorry I can't test it as I don't have any of those alternative SMS/email apps installed.

That's correct, it only works with the built in sense apps. My apologies, I missed the tidbit where the OP wanted it to work for non-default apps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones