Notification flash - 5 mins - Crazy!!!

Last Updated:

1. adybaby

adybaby Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

All in all a great phone - but surely the notification flash should stay on for longer than 5 mins, or have the option to choose how long - This is bonkers!!! having to fire the phone up to see if any messages/missed calls etc :mad:

Prob the most important requirement, for me anyway, is to know at a glance any missed communication.

Pretty pointless flashing for 5 mins?????

Does anyone know if this will change, can be changed?? Would really rather not have to add an app for this as they seem to mess the phone up at times - but if thats the only way so be it.

Advertisement
  2. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

Try either sms popup or chomp sms, both can be set to have repeat notifications
    I have mine set to go off every 5 mins till I pick up the text

Also IMO chomp is a far more usable sms client

I ran them both on my G1 for 18 months and currently on my Desire for 2 weeks, all without any problems

3. etherial

etherial Member

Get the app "missed reminder" it is very basic app with settings for ongoing reminders, ie flashing led, play a tone every x minutes etc.

Will fix your issue.

4. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

Missed call app changes this - and you can set up different colours too

5. NoUse4aNick

NoUse4aNick Well-Known Member

Additionally, if you have Handcent SMS app, you can configure reminders in settings without the help of external apps.

6. inkedguy

inkedguy Member

where in Handcent sms can you find the notifications that you can change to show who called?

7. toadstools

toadstools Well-Known Member

Hey Tim, off topic but you have some great photos there in you gallery site, when I have a little more time I'll take a better look, cheers,Brett

8. NoUse4aNick

Yes, you're right. Because it is a SMS app you can only define reminders for SMS, not for calls.

9. RobDickson

RobDickson Well-Known Member

All of the apps mentioned seem to only work for specific events. For example, Missed Reminder doesn't work for non-Gmail email. You never know, this might be something that's upgraded in next week's update (if it is released next week).

10. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

Thanks Brett

Just wish I had more time to get out of late
    :(

11. toadstools

toadstools Well-Known Member

same here mate but we should both try eh!!;)

12. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

+1 for Handcent.

I thought the standard SMS app had all I wanted until I tried Handcent, it has so many options. Loving the iPhone style convo windows too.

13. nekromantik

nekromantik Well-Known Member

I tried missed reminder and it works for sms.

Handcent is better but I prefer the stock app with pix from fb showin up in convo.
    The speech bubbles look really cheap to me lol

14. NoUse4aNick

If that's the problem, just change the conversation style in settings! :)
    In my humble opinion, Handcent is the best SMS app out there.

15. StevenSeed

StevenSeed Well-Known Member

I agree - Handcent is the one I use. I love the customisability.

I've even removed the stock SMS application from my home screens now because I never use it (handcent comes with its own widget that you can put on the home screen and it shows you how many texts you haven't read, or if you have no unread texts you can choose whether it displays "0", or nothing at all).

I've downloaded the missed reminder, but to be honest I've not yet been able to test it because, even when I've asked someone to send a test text to me for that purpose, if I know there's an unread message there I have to open it, even if I know it's only test. I cannot leave an unread message blinking at me for 30 seconds never mind 5 minutes, so until I have genuinely been away from my phone and KNOW someone has sent me a text more than 5 minutes ago, I'll have to take your word for it that it's working. Silly I know, but there's not much I can do about it.

16. nekromantik

nekromantik Well-Known Member

I would but its missing the facebook pics on the convo itself.
    I like that feature of the stock app. :)

17. RobDickson

You never know, this might be changed in the next upgrade. According to HTC:

18. c_man

c_man Well-Known Member

Anyone figured out how to keep flashing notification of SMSs, missed calls, new emails, etc. going for longer than 5min?

How are people getting on with the app that was suggested, Missed Reminder?

19. NoUse4aNick

Basically Missed Reminder is what you want. Works for SMSs, missed calls and new emails.

20. c_man

c_man Well-Known Member

Any feedback on its memory footprint?

I presume its something that needs to be kept running in the background 24/7 and not something that allows you to tweak the setting in Android and then close or even uninstall...

21. NoUse4aNick

Yes, it's a service running on background. In my phone it is using 3.5Mb of the memory. But using Spare Parts I can check that the partial wake usage of this process is normally minimal.

22. kikanon

kikanon New Member

Well, as I have the same problem as the OP I'm going to try out some of these apps. But that doesn't change the fact that it has to be fixed. Yes, fixed, as in bug, because that's the only explanation there is for this behaviour. It's absolutely pointless to have a notification LED for missed calls, sms, mails, whatever, which turns itself off after a few minutes (!!!). Pointless because everytime I leave the phone unattended for more than 5 mins I have to turn on the screen to check if I missed something, since the LED might already have stopped blinking: therefor, as the LED is completely useless, I hope for a fix.
    (Yes, perhaps the apps mentioned actually work, but that's not the point. Also, I don't want the phone running even more tasks in the background as the battery barely holds for a day as it is. Specially if they are software patches for design errors)

23. RobDickson

I could be wrong, but I think that this has been fixed in Android 2.2.

24. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Does it actually matter? You'd still have to turn the screen on to see what you've missed so what difference does it make to just do it manually? Having the LED flash is a waste of battery so seems HTC have done the right thing in limiting its flashing

25. RobDickson

Actually I take it back, it hasn't been fixed in V2.2.

I agree that the flashing LED uses power, but so do many other things on the phone. The advantage of having the LED flashing all the time is that I can tell without turning the screen on whether I have an e-mail or tweet or whatever. If I don't have a message, I don't have to waste my time, and the phone's battery power, by turning the screen on.