• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

notification for each contact???

Try Textra, a really clean app that is a great alternative. In addition to different notification sounds you can assign to different contacts, you can even change the color of the icon in the notification panel for each contact. For example, it is pink for my wife, blue for my brother, green for my sister. So even if my device is on vibrate, I can quickly see if the text came from an important contact. You can even change the vibration pattern per contact.
That's the beauty of Android, if you don't like the way something works with a stock app there is a good chance you can replace it with an app from the store.

Reactions: hotkoko
Upvote 0
Is there a way of creating my own unique SMS sound alert either by downloading one or recording a sound and using that? I can do so for incoming calls but there is no ostensible way of doing so for text/SMS alerts.

Is there perhaps an APP that will allow me to separate the two types of alerts sounds (it seems that I can only have my preferred SMS/text alert sound if I first choose it as my RINGTONE) and get my text alert preferred sound?

Much obliged to any boffs out there who could help

Upvote 0
Any custom ringtones can be placed in a folder called "Ringtones" on /sdcard or on the external SD card.

For SMS notifications, create a folder called "Notifications" and they will then be available to choose in the Messages app.

7a4emehy.jpg
ypaze9uj.jpg

Upvote 0
You can use an app like Contact Alert (free) or Custom SMS Tones (paid) to set a custom notification per contact. The apps run alongside your messenger app, so you can still use the stock app if you want. You will only have to disable sounds in your messenger app to prevent two sounds being played at once.
Do you know if this will allow you to set notifications for both ringtone and then a different one for texts?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones