1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Notification Ringtones

1. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

I have searched and can't find this for the Droid. Can you set different ringtones for different things?? I want a different tone for email then sms and and notifications....??? I'm sure there's an app out there I just don't know which one!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

Here is the rundown:

to change notifications for things such as plugging/unplugging the USB (or for every notification at once rather than individually, this is the same one, but you skip the other steps)

Menu > Settings > Sound and display > Notification ringtone.

To change individual notifications for text and gmail...

Gmail:

Apps Menu > Gmail App > Menu button > Settings > Email notification

Text: Messaging (app) > Menu button > Settings > Select Ringtone

Now, if you don't like the ringtones on the phone, here is how you change them...

1) Plug your phone into a pc via the USB cable.

2) Grab/drag the notification bar at the top of the phone down.

3) Click on "USB Connected" and select "Mount"

4) Now, using your PCs file browser, navigate to your phone. On windows, it will read "removable disk". Linux will be the same thing. I don't know Mac OS, but if you use mac, I am sure you will find it.

5) Once you are in your phones SD card (removable disk), create a folder called "media".

Enter the media folder.

6) Create another folder called "audio".

Enter the audio folder.

7) Create three folders here. They will be called "alarms", "notifications", and "ringtones".

You are now all set up for custom tones. If you have MP3s you want to use, just drop them in their respective folders. notifications will display on your menu for gmail, text, system notifications, etc. ringtones will be displayed in your ringtones folder ( menu > settings > sound and display > Phone ringtone).

As for editing the length of them, here is where opinions will vary. Most people would suggest using Audacity, but I personally think acid express is a much easier program to use. Both are free. There are several writeups on how to use Audacity to make ringtones, and Acid doesn't really need one.

Here are a few links for you to investigate further with that one.

Sony Acid Express

Audacity

Lifehacker how-to (using audacity)

Making Ringtones (Audacity Wiki)

If you cannot figure out any of these on your own, I would be more than happy to make ringtones for people. Just email me an MP3 or Wav at zx6r1033@gmail.com along with a brief description of what part you want (if you are cutting down the length as well), and I will get it done as soon as possible.

Hope this helps.
    apjans, surajdhanuki, rbot and 15 others like this.
  3. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

You are the man! Thanks so much. Reps for you.

BTW I have used Audacity for a couple of years and tend to like it. Maybe I'll give the other a try to compare! Thanks again.
  4. i. austin

i. austin Active Member

myxer.com is easiest for selecting a portion of the song....it'll do all the hard work for you
  5. Fadelight

I've been using acid for longer, since I have Acid Pro as one of my primary DAWs for my home recording studio. That may be why I prefer it.

I think the best part is the fact that you can literally drag and use tools similar to picture editing to cut the music, rather than audacity where you have to select portions of the file first and whatnot. It seems more user-friendly.

Let me know... as a first time user... what you find to be the easiest.
  6. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

Thanks Fadelight!!!

I use CoolEdit for all my audio editing needs, it's not the best if all you'll be doing is trimming ringtones/alerts though.
  7. iworktoplay

iworktoplay New Member

What about different ring tones for different callers
  8. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

^^

Contacts > select the contact you want to have a unique ringtone > press the meionnu button > Options > ringtone
  9. iworktoplay

iworktoplay New Member

Thanks
  10. kkluesner

kkluesner Member

I created all three of those folders.... but I still can't seem to see the Alarm ones. is there somehting else I need to do for the Alarm notifications? I only see the Stock ones when I pull up Alarm ringtones on the Droid. I do see ringtones.. and Notifications now... just not the Alarm.
    TIA!
    great tips!
  11. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

I used to do it in windows sound recorder, then jumped to sony programs but now since im lazy and can do it no matter where i am i used this website,

Myxer - Download Ringtones and More

they got tons of prepaid ringtones that others have made and then you can upload your own file and then select how long you want it to be, what sections you want and then most phones it can MMS you a picture message with the audio file attached to it.
  12. kkluesner

kkluesner Member

Ahhh.. the alarms folder has to contain files that have alarm_xxx as the file name. changed a few file names.. and TADA- new ringtones for my alarm clock!!! thank you for getting me pointed in the right direction!
  13. stainless

stainless Well-Known Member

COol, THANKS
  14. Ganja_Natty

Ganja_Natty Member

There is a free app on the market called "Ringdroid" That is really cool and can enable you to create ringtones or notification sounds from mp3s that are already on your sd card. Instead of using Audacity I'm sure it'll be much easier to just do it from your phone. Hope this helped.
  15. Ganja_Natty

Ganja_Natty Member

There is a free app on the market called "Ringdroid" That is really cool and can enable you to create ringtones or notification sounds from mp3s that are already on your sd card. Instead of using Audacity I'm sure it'll be much easier to just do it from your phone. Hope this helped. :)
    jfolliard likes this.
  16. jpraok

jpraok Member

Hi, I am using Samsing Galaxy phone. I have created the same folders as you specified and copied 2 MP3 ring tones in to it. But I do not see them in the settings.
    Is this procedure works for Samsung Galaxy also ?
  17. ASSASSINHDDROID

ASSASSINHDDROID New Member

how do i get the droid tone as my notification and not a ringtone cuse i cant find it on my phone
  18. Fadelight

Read the directions I posted above. They explain it in great detail. Pay exceptionally close attention to step #7 and I think you'll get it.
  19. growler13

growler13 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to tell you guys about the zedge.net app. It works really well and has a pretty large database of free ringtones. And when you go to select your notification sound it will ask if you want to use a notification from zedge or android system. Its really easy

If you have a song or something you wanna chop up yourself try using Audacity for your computer. Its on PC, Mac, and Linux
  20. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

The app that I use and I love it RingDroid....this lets you do everything from your phone.

When you open the app, you select the song on the phone. Then you select the portion you want to use. At that time you save it and tell it what you want to save the tone as.

The app was free in the marketplace also.
  21. mark20044

mark20044 Member

Just wanted to chime in with a +1 for Ringdroid.

Really easy, just drop the file you want to make a ringtone from on your sdcard, then edit it with Ringdroid and set it as a notification/ringtone/alarm. If you have a lot of music on your card, it might be a little laggy when you first start the program, since it searches ALL the audio files when you start typing, but I've had no other issues with it.
  22. ghill106

ghill106 New Member

Is there a way to pick different tones for text and picture messages? TIA
  23. jfolliard

jfolliard Well-Known Member

thanks! I've been trying to figure this out for days!!

Jack
  24. redsplayer09

redsplayer09 New Member

I set my notification sound to the droid sound but it still plays the first sound on. the list when i get a text message. How can I make sure it plays the sound. I want?
  25. rashtchr

rashtchr New Member

I've not found this problem posted, so here goes and I hope one of the experts can help:
    I keep losing ringtone assignments - I've reset them (seen them in place, they work for a few hours to a day or so, then they've all reverted to DEFAULT, again!) I've removed ALL extra ringtone apps (aring, akarington, ringdroid, mabila, etc. that were installed, thinking they might interfere,) but it is STILL deleting all assignments & reverting to default ringtone. It's driving me nuts - help, please? Moto Droid firmware 2.1 update 1 -Thanks! -rashtchr