• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Notification sound location

Chief7

Dec 22, 2009
Bradenton, FL
Since this is a "new" phone there aren't many of us looking at this forum, but... I posted it in the Droid Pro forum, too, but let's see if anybody here has encountered the same issue.

I just took delivery of Sprint's XPRT and it is very solid. I got my extensive list of ringtones loaded and recognized but I the notification list isn't as easy. Does anyone know where those sounds are stored, or how to add sounds to the notification?

I solved the problem by creating a "media" folder and then making "alarm", "ringtones" and "notifications" folder inside it and then copying the appropriate mp3's into them. Ta Da!!

Reactions: XPRT
I did the same thing. Now that I have my notifications, I can't figure out how to set a different notification for each (4) of my e-mail accounts.
Every time I set one, it affects all accounts.
Any idea???

Yes - my idea is that those individual notifications are the one thing that BB does better! I used to love that I could have a ring tone JUST for people NOT in my contact list! Ah, well - it is the price we have to pay for now. Maybe Google will address that one at some point in the future, but that's as close as I can come to your dilemma now.

Reactions: XPRT
Upvote 0
I only have 2 accounts so I use the built in mail app and the gmail app. You can assign different ringtone notifications to each of them. But if you have more than 2 accounts then try K-9 email app from the Market. It's an open source email app with Exchange support that let's you use different notification sounds for different accounts. Very easy to use and best of all, free!

Upvote 0
When I had my Blackberry, I only used 3 of the stock notification sounds. The problem was I'd had a Blackberry for the last 7 years, and was really used to the particular sounds. I was able to get my XPRT set up exactly like I wanted, but it did require rooting. First, I rooted it, then I installed Root Explorer. I also downloaded the stock BB OS 5.0 ringtones I wanted in mp3 format from Crackberry forums. The stock Motorola notifications are located in system/media/audio/notifications. I simply put the BB ringtones on the sd card, then used Root Explorer to move them to the stock notification folder. You can now go into each mailbox and set your favorite notification sound!

snap20110726_08343z.png

snap20110726_083632.png

Upvote 0
Yes - my idea is that those individual notifications are the one thing that BB does better! I used to love that I could have a ring tone JUST for people NOT in my contact list! Ah, well - it is the price we have to pay for now. Maybe Google will address that one at some point in the future, but that's as close as I can come to your dilemma now.

As far as GMAIL goes, you CAN set individual rings WITHOUT rooting, although I recommend it anyway.

You have to go in to each account, hit Menu Button->More->Settings
Scroll down to Notifications. Then set your ringtone, which obviously, will have to be pre-made to some capacity. If you want to make your own, and put them on your phone but they don't seem to show up as ringtones, try using Ringdroid, a freeware that will make notification ringtones for you.

As far as stock mail goes, I don't use it. I would think the same is possible but if not, rooting may be the way to go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones