Notification sounds quit workingSupport

Last Updated:

1. mattkranzler5

mattkranzler5 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys. So I had been using my Droid until it came out with Rings Extended and it was working great but all of a sudden my sounds for notifications wouldn't work anymore. That along with some other issues caused me to reset the phone to factory. So I reinstalled everything including Rings Extended and the same thing happened again. So, I uninstalled Rings Extended and I just made the "audio\notifications" and "audio\ringtones" folders to put my sounds in. They show up under the settings for selection but when I select either my custom sound or any other sound for that matter no sound comes out of the ear piece and when I receive a notification nothing comes out either. However, if I select a ringtone for the phone (non notification) both my custom ringtone and the standard ringtones sound fine. So I know its not the speaker since the regular ringtones work as well as music. I just can't hear any of the notification sounds. This is really frustrating since I just did a hard reset this morning and had to reinstall and reconfigure everything. Have any of you guys had this issue and if so or not do you have any suggestions on what to do? I don't think there is a custom volume setting for notifications or anything like that.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. mattkranzler5

mattkranzler5 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so I reformatted again and didn't install any ringtone or notification programs. It worked fine for about 20 hours and now I can't hear sounds for notifications again. Do you guys think I have a defective phone? I can't figure out why this keeps happening.

3. Jedakiah

Jedakiah Member

I have owned my Droid for two weeks and my notification sounds never worked, except for the GTalk ones. I always assumed I did not hear them go off until tonight when I know I had my phone on me. I have never installed any ringtones or any ring related software.

4. Telexen

Telexen Well-Known Member

I had this problem when I made a profile in Locale to turn off notification sounds (during the night), but didn't make a profile to turn it back on.

If you have Locale installed, that's the first place I'd look.

5. Jedakiah

Jedakiah Member

I do not know what Locale is, and have never installed it.

Ironically I received 2 out of 3 of my Calendar notifications audibly today, although I was actively using the device at the time. I wonder if the notifications only go off if the screen is on and the phone unlocked?

6. OXM_Chase

OXM_Chase Well-Known Member

Nope, that isn't the case either. I too can't seem to figure out the source to the problem. I ported ringtones to my SD card and mounted it to my phone. Got em to work the very first time. Then I'd go and change the notification tone to something else, but it would still use the first one I set as the default. My ringtones for calls works great, I can change them up and it works as it should. I've tried everything short of a reset, which I'd rather not do until a solution is found. Id doesn't matter if the screen is on or off, the tone should work. It's driving me insane!!!

7. kars2010

kars2010 New Member

same for me basically... i set a different notification sound and it still plays the default one... idk what to do....

8. OXM_Chase

OXM_Chase Well-Known Member

My problem all of sudden stopped. Not sure why. I then realized that my notification sounds were turned off even though I didn't turn them off. I'd recommend looking at that

9. kars2010

kars2010 New Member

Yeah I figured it out I just went into messages then more or options then set the sound want. So try that.

10. jwitherow

jwitherow New Member

I have the same issue, except I used missed call. My custom ringtones will work for an hour or two, then they won't work. Also sometimes my music on my sd card won't play. It says file not supported. I restart my phone and the music will work and sometimes it'll fix my ringtones but not always. I've tried to reset to factory too. Didn't work. I'm gonna try to go up to Verizon and see what they say.

11. ryand417

ryand417 New Member

I too had the same issue. I used a custom ringtone from a soundboard I downloaded from the Android market, and I had it set for the "Notification Sound". Later on, I changed it to something different, but then when I got a text, the old tone went off. So I changed it again, and still it would revert to the first one I had set.

Being frustrated, I deleted the problematic ringtone all together, and from that moment on, when I got a text it was completely silent even if I selected a new ringtone including the default ones that come with the phone. What's even weirder is if I select a new tone for notification it will work fine for email alerts, alarms etc... just the text doesn't work. The actual phone ringtone was never affected through this. It was only after reading some of your posts that I managed to get it half fixed by going into messages, more, and adjusting. Now only the default ringtones work. If anyone has any thoughts before I do a factory reset that would be fantastic

12. mig991

mig991 Member

Having the same problem, and know that if I take it into Verizon strore their only help will be restore option. My twitter notification has not worked for about a week, getting very frustrating.

No matter what notification I set various things, email, text, twitter, facebook, it still reverts to the default every time.