• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Notification sounds

JB in AZ

Android Expert
Oct 27, 2009
Florida
I've searched my Hero, and this forum and can't find an answer (Sprint HTC Hero forum... there are similar posts on Droid, and HTC Magic forums, but no answer for my question), so I would appreciate any direction or advice.

I would like a different notification sound for my email than I have for voice mail. I keep reading that each app has a setting that allows one to select a unique sound, but I am not able to find this setting for the stock email app, or the voicemail app. The only options under email settings are:
Email notifications - ON or OFF
Notification sound - ON or OFF
Notification vibrate - ON or OFF

Under Voicemail settings, I see NO choices for notifications.

I must be missing something!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Or confirm that I am not missing something, and it can't be done. Thanks

I know I can set different sounds for e-mail and text messages. I don't remember how I went about it and could be mistaken but I'll dig around in the phone and see what I can come up with for you.

Yes, this I can also do. I use a different sound for text message notifications, but email and voicemail can't seem to be differentiated. Seems like an oversight on HTC or Android's part to me. Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0
Weeelll, if no one has any other ideas, I guess I could turn off the notification sound for email, then when I hear the sound, I will know it is for voice mail.

The reason this is important for me is we have poor Sprint signal in our home. We have an Airave device, which helps alot, but if the phone is automatically updating some data at the same time the call comes in, the voice call may go directly to voicemail. Just last week, I received a call, asking me if I got their earlier message. Sure enough, the voicemail was there! But of course, the flashing LED stops after 5 minutes (Very dumb!). I might have heard the notification sound, but just figured it was my email updating, and checked it on my laptop.

Doesn't anyone else think this is strange that these notification sounds can't be set differently? As others have said, MOST other apps let you set the notification sounds independently. And the LED stops after 5 minutes?

Any good ideas anyone?

Upvote 0
after some research i have found and verified this

From: http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/279896-no-unique-notification-sounds.html
Anyway I eventually found that if I changed the default notification to any of the phone's preinstalled tones, the correct user-specified tone is now playing in each app. But for some reason, if any user-created tone is set to be the default, the phone will play the default tone for ANY notification.

Now, i have tested this to be correct. looking further into the situation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones