• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root notification/status bar

youdoofus

Android Expert
Feb 26, 2011
so dak
Okay, dumb question from youdoofus time yet again (my apologies beforehand LoL) Is it possible to flash new notification bars? Or are they too inherent to the rom to change in that fashion? i like mine well enough, just trying to figure out what all is changeable, and how easy/difficult it may be to do so. Gracias forumites!!! You all rule the android world!!

Ive seen clear notification bars you can flash, and riptide status bars. Ive always referred to it as the status bar...the one at the top? The notification bar is the one that shows up when you pull down on the status bar....which are you referring to? Either way lol its just a matter of flashing the new one like you flash a theme or a kernel.

Upvote 0
it's hit or miss....some of the flash able mods like clear status bar are fine....others will replace other modifications when flashed. try and stick with mods labled bl blah blah for blah blah rom and read everything...the devs are pretty good about disclaiming "you will lose blah blah blah" if you flash this

Upvote 0
Ive seen clear notification bars you can flash, and riptide status bars. Ive always referred to it as the status bar...the one at the top? The notification bar is the one that shows up when you pull down on the status bar....which are you referring to? Either way lol its just a matter of flashing the new one like you flash a theme or a kernel.

You know, Im eventually gonna ask a question that, when answered, I dont feel the need to facepalm from my own idiocy LoL jk yeah, i meant status bar :) im on cyanogenmod 7 nightly (from 3.17.11) and it has the sprint name on it... i just want to be able to remove that, or replace it with one that doesnt have the carrier name on it. Oh, that and ever sonce going to CM7 i cant use the htc flashlight apk :( not a major issue as the status bar has a flashlight, but the only reason i want the htc one back is cuz CM7's flashlight only uses 1 led

Upvote 0
it's hit or miss....some of the flash able mods like clear status bar are fine....others will replace other modifications when flashed. try and stick with mods labled bl blah blah for blah blah rom and read everything...the devs are pretty good about disclaiming "you will lose blah blah blah" if you flash this

but but but but, what if i dont wanna lose my blah blah blah? LoL jk :D 'preciate cha Mr. Ed! So, id just find a zip file that achieves what im lookin to accomplish, d/l it(placing it on the root of the sd card, of course), reboot into recovery, and install it as i would any other zip? Sorry, just wanted to be sure so i dont hafta restore unnecesarily ;)

Upvote 0
yeah it flashes. like everything else, I wipe cache and dalvik before, not sure if its necessary but hey why not. He is right it will sometimes replace mods you have like battery icons and such, you can actually tell if you open it and look in the system/app folder. On cm7 im not sure if it will change your status bar but have you tried dling a theme from the market and changing to it in theme chooser? Does that change whether it says sprint up there or not?

CM7 also has that app called torch, its your flashlight now. It can also strobe. You can change the setting to make it use both by going into CM setting i think, notification bar, flashlight settings and turn it up to death ray. Not sure that is the exact path but look around, its in their somewhere. Its wherever you change what is on your notification bar, like what sound profiles it will cycle, what data profiles it will cycle...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones