Notifications driving you mad?Tips

Last Updated:

1. The Hoff

The Hoff Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've recently had the displeasure of being woken up to various degrees by the companies that choose to time their mailshots at 4am.

For those of you suffering the same fate, I decided I may save some of you time researched solutions by posting this:

There are numerous applications on the Market that will soon become your best friend, and depending on your needs some may suit you more than others.

My saviour comes in the form of "Sound Manager" a free app, which allows you to create profiles that suit your needs. There's also an app called "Bedtime" which gets very good reviews, and allows you to use it as a bedtime clock, presumably for those with a docking station.

Please feel free to add further suggestions if there's something you've tried and tested.

Sleep well :)

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Why not just switch your net connection off at night and save your battery?

But if it's automation you want, you should download Tasker. It is a paid app, but it can automate just about anything you want it to.

These are some examples: Profiles - Tasker Wiki

Juicedefender is a pretty good way to automate your wifi/3g settings too.

BertB likes this.
  3. The Hoff

Sound Manager does everything I need it to, which amounts to letting me sleep without interruption. I still like to check my inbox in the morning and my phone is charged overnight so power is of no concern.

I'll take a look at Tasker, looks fully featured, but may be OTT for what I (and others) require.

4. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

Or make it really simple, just put the silent button/widget on your homescreen.
    Make sure you allow alarm in silent mode though.

5. Xyro

Oh it's certainly OTT if you only want it for one thing, but I thought I'd cover the other extreme with my suggestion :)

6. The Hoff

And do it manually, every night? Uhm... no thanks :)

7. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

I know, life can be tough.

8. The Hoff

I downloaded Tasker, it's very powerful, very in depth and somewhat of a learning curve to understand its usage fully. However once I've had a good think about how best I can apply it I'm sure it will be very useful.

arlrb, automation is a magnificent thing, you should embrace it and get out of the 90's :)

9. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

& so is simplicity my friend.

Sent from my PSION Series 3a

10. Styxx

Styxx Well-Known Member

Hahahaha! Am I the only one that finds this comment hilarious? :D

11. StephLD

StephLD New Member

Where is that please? (from a brand newbie)

12. landovr

landovr Well-Known Member

Long press on the screen you want it on (make sure you have room for it) then press widget, press settings then profile.

13. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

It's pretty easy in Tasker. What I do is create new profile to set a variable called %NightMode and set it to "On" between the hours of 23:30 and 5:30. Then, I set another profile to switch the sound to low if %NightMode is On.

I also use Screen Filter to turn the screen brightness lower. It is an app which then adds a plugin into Tasker. It's pretty cool because at night, I don't want a bright screen waking me up (screwing up the Circadian Rhythm). I set mine to 12% at night and then 100% during the day (which means its disabled).

I use the %NightMode variable in other places and times so I decided to separate it into two profiles.

Hope that helps,

Tim

p.s. I use Tasker for the following: Turn on Wifi when I get close to home, Turn on my Bluetooth when I open a music app, Turn off my Bluetooth when I turn off my BT headset, Darken my screen when I open certain apps, Brighten my screen when I open certain apps, and Silence my phone when my calendar shows that I have a meeting.

I also have a device called TellStick which remotely controls the lights, so when I get home at a certain time and it connects to Wifi (ie I step inside the door), all my lights turn on.

I would love it to do more, but I don't know how to write scripts or anything. I just do simple triggers.

14. Ruthiec

Ruthiec Active Member

try timeriffic ... good free app that gives you options to do things at different times

15. Ruthiec

Ruthiec Active Member

done this ... very useful .... but how do you make sure that you can use alarm in silent mode?? .... though think have already allowed this but making use please

16. Xyro

Putting the phone on silent shouldn't change the alarm volvune, as notifications, your ringtone and the alarm are all have seperate volume levels.

17. Ruthiec

Ruthiec Active Member

Cheers

18. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

There is also a setting in alarm settings, that is something like "Sound alarm even if on silent"

Xyro likes this.
  19. BOZG

BOZG Well-Known Member

Tasker is definitely a testament to the brilliance of the human mind. Worth taking an hour or two out and playing around with it to get an idea of just exactly what it's capable of.

For anyone who just needs location based tasks, Spoty Location Reminder is another option. The free version is a time limited trial version but the full app can be bought relatively inexpensively on the market.

It's obviously far more limited than Tasker and only deals with location based tasks but it can be a bit more user friendly and straight forward to configure than Tasker.

20. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler Well-Known Member

Is there a simple app that can handle e-mail notifications and SMS notifications separately?

21. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Use SMS Popup from the market. If you disable notifications via the stock message app, you can let SMS Popup handle SMS for you. You can then use the stock mail app to handle your email notifications.

tobyjuggler likes this.
  22. tobyjuggler

Thanks, I'll try this, but it doesn't look like what I'm looking for. I should have been clearer in my previous post as I actually meant notification sounds.

23. poopookakada

poopookakada Well-Known Member

The gingerbread update added that feature :) its ten times easier now ;)

tobyjuggler likes this.
  24. tobyjuggler

Excellent news, I'll wait until tomorrow then :D.

25. Nigredo

Nigredo Well-Known Member

The Hoff - why dont you just use the peak/off peak settings in the Mail app from HTC?