Notifications for new email not working?Support

1. kathayes

kathayes Well-Known Member

Using the stock email app, I am not receiving visual notifications when new messages arrive, even though I have checkbox selected to do so. The email account I'm downloading is IMAP email. Anyone know why it may not be working?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Methos1979

Methos1979 Well-Known Member

What is your Sync schedule? Is it set to Push? If it's manual or some other (longer, especially) time delay then your phone won't know it has email until the Sync occurs.

Go into Sync settings, Sync schedule, Set sync schedule, and select Push.
    kathayes likes this.
  3. Methos1979

Methos1979 Well-Known Member

Also, I assume you are talking about notifications up in the notification bar, correct? If you are talking about the little 'badges' that show up on the email app icon, that's a whole different story. You need an app for that.
  4. kathayes

Yes, I mean the notifications at top. it was set to push, though it was also set to Peak Schedule, so I unchecked peak schedule. I'm guessing that was the problem? Why would you want Peak Schedule checked?

Thanks.
  5. kathayes

I am still not getting notifications for this account. Any other ideas as to why it may not be working?

Thanks.
  6. xaelith

xaelith Well-Known Member

Some folks want or need their email to come ASAP while they're at work, and then don't want to be bothered (or bothered as much) when they're home. Others are the exact opposite, because they have access to a computer during work hours, and then are "on-call" when at home. The "Peak schedule" setting allows those people to set the email app to sync differently at different times of the day.

What email app are you using?
    kathayes likes this.
  7. kathayes

I'm using the built-in Samsung one.
  8. xaelith

xaelith Well-Known Member

[Hide]I thought I remember someone else mentioning this, but if you open the email app, press the menu button, go to "Settings", "Account settings", and select the account you would like the notifications for, make sure the box next to "Email notifications" is checked. This will add the badge to the notification bar.

On the off-chance that it's already checked, then we'll have to hope someone more knowledgeable chimes in. :eek:
    [/spoiler]

EDIT: never mind... just re-read the first post... :p

Hmm.....a strange problem indeed.

EDIT2: (Sorry for the scatter-brained responses...I've been preoccupied for most of the day)
    The email type shouldn't make a difference on the notification being received, but as someone else alluded to, it could affect when it's received. Who is the email account through that you're using the email app for (Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.)?