General Notifications Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ColonelPanic, Feb 20, 2010.

1. ColonelPanic

ColonelPanic Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Here goes going to burn another stupid question point. I want to have different notifications for email, gmail , and text.

So far I cannot find a setting specifically for mail. It will only play the default notification. Is there a setting to change it just for email ? Or does it always use the global setting.

I can set it for txt and gmail so i can accomplish my goal that way. I just wondered if there is a setting i am missing. Read the whole manual.

Advertisement

2. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Software Developer
    Kent, UK
    As far as I know there is just a general setting for "Notifications", nothing specific for email. You may be able to change it with 3rd party software, but I disable alerts for email so I have never really thought of it as a problem

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead
    VIP Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    I use tone picker. It is in the market. Small app and it will do what you want.

ColonelPanic likes this.
  4. ColonelPanic

ColonelPanic Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    So one more question. I have tone picker but the only menu I seem to able to access is the one with the volume sliders. What am I missing ?

5. doogald

doogald  
    Guide

Jan 7, 2010
    Well, in gmail you can go into settings, select ringtone and select whichever sound you wish. You can do the same in the messages app - menu, settings, select sound. The mail app doesn't seem to have a setting, but uses the default sound, but obviously if you make the messaging and gmail apps use something different from default, you'll be all set. You really don't need a third party app for that.

I actually do not use notifications for mail, but I have gmail set to the same sound that mail.app uses on my Mac (it just makes it easy for me to distinguish when new mail arrives, no matter which system I am on), and I have messaging set to something other than my default (it turns out to be the same as I used on my old WM phone.)