Support Notifications Ringtone Issue.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Flubatron, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Flubatron

Flubatron Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've had my HTC Desire a while and i've had no problems with it this far. However, yesterday i decided to change my notification from one of the HTC ones to one of my own creation. In all the menu's this comes up fine, but if i ever recieve a text then it keeps playing the HTC notification tone, not mine.

I cant even change it to other HTC tones, it just keeps playing the same one.

Any suggestions? I've scoured the net for hours and just cant fix it :<

Advertisement

2. Anthony1

Anthony1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    You haven't got a 3rd part app installed for notifications have you? Something like 'Missed reminder' or 'ringdroid'

3. Flubatron

Flubatron Member

Jun 2, 2010
    I used to have 'Rings Extended' installed in order to easily change my notifications and ringtones, and had a custom notification for a while but i changed it back to a default theme for a bit. I have uninstalled Rings Extended to see if it makes any difference (it didnt) and have since re-installed it again. I recently got ringdroid within the last half hour or so to see if that could help, but no luck there either.

4. Anthony1

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    Best thing I'd advise without knowing anything else is to delete the 'notifications' directory within 'media/audio' give it a reboot and then see how that goes.

5. Flubatron

Flubatron Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Is it safe to delete that folder? Or will i have to remake it myself? I've done a bit more googling and apparantly if you delete the tone thats playing in question, it will from then on just be silent...

6. Anthony1

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    Yes, it's safe to delete. You'll have to recreate it if you want to use any new custom notification sounds, but that's easy enough.

7. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Hull, UK
    alternatively, you could try entering messages, menu, settings, notification sound and selecting there... any help?

Flubatron likes this.
  8. Anthony1

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    His first post lead me to assume that he's already tried that, but if I'm wrong then, yes, that would be a good start.

9. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Hull, UK

fair play, but there is the notification menu in the sounds and display, and another dedicated one within messages... took me a while to figure that out 1st time round, when it started playing the whole of Prince' 45minute Lovesexy album: DOH! :eek:

10. Anthony1

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    That would be a bit overkill for a notification sound :p

11. Flubatron

Flubatron Member

Jun 2, 2010
    OH YOU LEGEND! I've fixed it now, thanks guys.

For anyone that needs it in the future:

Go to Messages, press 'Menu' --> Settings. and at the bottom is 'notification sound' which is a whole different set of sounds for notifications.

Thanks alot guys! :D

12. gerry4

gerry4 New Member

Jun 2, 2010
    I want to have a different ringtone for messages from the standard ones. Where do you need to place the ringtone and what format does it need to be?

13. jimdriver2

jimdriver2 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    The issue seems to be solved now, but i'll add this as it might be useful to anyone to has the same thing and gets here by searching.

I had the same thing, near enough, initially set to mp3 tone I added (created media/notifications folder) worked fine, later tried to add a new one but it kept playing the old one. I deleted that and it went silent.

I didn't rediscover the messages menu as mentioned above until later, but I like people have said that should fix it. The menu through the settings->sound & display menu doesn't seem to work properly.

Anyway, I fixed mine by installing Handsent. My theory is that when you set a tone through that it does set it the right away, like the messages->menu way, rather than settings. Also it has the test notification feature, very handy in this case. Also it's a lot better than the built in one, IMO, with it's pop-up info on arrival when you're in sleep mode, and the fact it's being regularly updated.

14. Flubatron

Flubatron Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Its very easy to get an app called "Rings Extended" (there are many similar ones out there, thats just the one i use) so when you go to pick a ringtone, it will ask you if you want to use this app. Simply click yes and you can navigate to where you put the ringtone, (often its a song from your songs folder).

However, additionally if you do not want to use an app, you can put it in the following location:

SDCard --> Media --> Audio --> Notifications.

So far i've only tried mp3's though, so i'm unsure about the format.

15. jessibelluk

jessibelluk New Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Can someone please help me. I downloaded a soundboard and put some in my notifications but doubled some of them up by mistake. How do I delete them?

Tags: