• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Notifications/sound volume questions

Hello, I'm trying to figure out a way to only have ringtones assigned to calls and text messages. I want all other notifications to be silent but I would like them to still pop-up in my notification bar. I know most apps have this built in setting but several I have post notifications that can't seem to be turned off within the app, so every time they pop-up I get an alert.

I can't figure out how to silence just my notifications either without silencing my phone. Is there an app that will allow me to turn off all my ringtone notification sounds and then select just ringtones for calls and texts?

Upvote 0
Hello, I'm trying to figure out a way to only have ringtones assigned to calls and text messages. I want all other notifications to be silent but I would like them to still pop-up in my notification bar. I know most apps have this built in setting but several I have post notifications that can't seem to be turned off within the app, so every time they pop-up I get an alert.

I can't figure out how to silence just my notifications either without silencing my phone. Is there an app that will allow me to turn off all my ringtone notification sounds and then select just ringtones for calls and texts?

For gmail and mail, you can set your ringtone as "silent." You will still get a notification in your status bar.

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
How do I set a separate notification sound for stock email in the virgin mobile evo 4g? In email settings it has notifications on or off under settings but no way to choose sound. I set a stock phone notification sound under sounds but it doesn't apply to stock email and no separate category for email app under sounds nor personalisation.

i gather it may be different from method in sprint evo 4g because it supposedly lets you chpose sounds under email settings notifications. In that tree all I get are check boxes for on or off but no chooose sound category.

thanks!

thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Kik is not a stock app so it does not integrate into the os like other stock apps.
07.jpg

Upvote 0
Well you tried the rest i don't know if you tried the best

hlidskialf.android.tonepicker.apk

All you do is open the app up set the ringtone . And when you are done just goto what ever app u want to change sound . For example i want to change the mms sound . I select notifications and select the app symbol in the dropdown you will see all sounds u can change to . Now if you dont like a device sounds . You can goto zedge and download any sounds or make your own .

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Well you tried the rest i don't know if you tried the best

hlidskialf.android.tonepicker.apk

All you do is open the app up set the ringtone . And when you are done just goto what ever app u want to change sound . For example i want to change the mms sound . I select notifications and select the app symbol in the dropdown you will see all sounds u can change to . Now if you dont like a device sounds . You can goto zedge and download any sounds or make your own .

Is this the one to which you refer?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hlidskialf.android.tonepicker&hl=en

Upvote 0
For some reason, my text notification sound is muted whenever I have music playing through headphones or through an auxiliary jack on my stereo. Even though I can hear notifications for emails and Facebook, I get nothing for texts -- which are usually the messages I need most urgently.

It's turning me into a crazy person, because I'm paranoid that I'm getting texts that I can't hear every time I turn my music on. I've searched through the personalization settings and the settings for messages, and turned up nothing.

Also, I've had this problem persist even though I've gone through three or four handsets since I got this phone in march of 2012, so maybe it's a result of some combination of apps that I have on the phone?

Interestingly, the other two common notification sounds for Facebook and email work differently. The Facebook sound, which I downloaded through Zedge, interrupts the music altogether, whereas the email notification doesn't actually PLAY the sound while I have music playing, but the volume temporarily lowers, so I can tell something happened that way.

BTW, music is playing not through the stock player but through the Google Play Music app.
??????

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones