Notifications while screen is off fix(NoLED app)

Last Updated:

1. rlb4

rlb4 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just saw this on the Vibrant thread. A guy on the XDA forums created it and root is NOT required. It lights up a red square when the screen is locked to notify of emails, missed calls, texts,... I think this would be very useful so we don't have to keep turning on the screen to check for missed messages.

Is No LED On The Galaxy S Keeping You From Buying One? Try This. AndroidSPIN | Your No.1 source for Everything Android.

[App] NoLED - Use the AMOLED screen for incoming notifications - xda-developers

YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S NoLed Test

Advertisement
  2. PersonOfKnownOrigin

PersonOfKnownOrigin Active Member

I installed it. Works great!

3. nomoiphone

nomoiphone Well-Known Member

Is it working for the Captivate?

Can you get it from the Market?

4. jbk317

jbk317 Well-Known Member

Is there any difference between a completely black screen and one that is asleep or are they synonymous? Im just worried about having the screen on even though it is black. Any risk of damage to pixels that are on all the time?

My captivate wont install it because it is not from the market.....? (I used the barcode)

5. nomoiphone

I think that's why it moves around randomly...To avoid burning.

6. Pinetree09

Pinetree09 Active Member

7. nomoiphone

I copied the "NoLED-0.3.apk" to my Captivate.
    Installed an app installer from the market place.
    Found the NoLED app but when I tried to install I got a security block warning that I couldn't install because it's not an approved app.

My phone is rooted by the way...Thoughts?

8. optendo

optendo Member

I am getting errors on my phone when a message comes in. Says something like "application has stopped unexpectedly..."

9. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

You have to sideload the phone after rooting it. Check out the stickied thread.

10. ChaoticKinesis

ChaoticKinesis Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anyone else mention this but I'm having issues with NoLED consuming battery. I installed it on my phone with a fresh charge and left it sitting idle for about 3 hours. When I checked back on it, I saw the notification blinking and found my battery depleted to 76%. When I checked use, it was over 90% display with time in use of 2.5 hours. Actual use by me was less than 5 minutes, so that was all from the notification. Checking JuicePlotter confirmed that the battery was used heavily for the latter 2.5 hours, immediately after I received an email.

11. rlb4

You guys should post your problems in the thread on the XDA forums. The dev is very responsive and other posters may be able to help.

ChaoticKinesis likes this.
  12. rlb4

Anyone else have any feedback or further info on this?

13. JuneNYC

JuneNYC Well-Known Member

i figure i'd bump this thread since it's officially out on the market. it works great!!! thx and i'll send over a toke to you when i can. at first i didn't read the instructions and didn't know how to get back to homescreen lol. just hit the home button to get back to the lock screen.

14. KMA

KMA Well-Known Member

15. ktez

ktez Well-Known Member

Yes! I have issues with it - it's great for letting me know that I have a missed message, but after having it on for awhile, it makes the sound notifications for Gtalk go away. All the other notification sounds seem to work, just that one goes away randomly. My husband has the same issues with it, except his doesn't always have a dot on the screen for a missed message - it's hit and miss.

16. mnemonicj

mnemonicj Well-Known Member

OLED is different than LCD because there is no backlight. So, black pixels don't draw power, only lit pixels do. This is not true with LCD because it requires a backlight, so when anything on the screen is lit, the whole screen is lit.

Here is an article that compares different types of displays and you can see in one of the charts that a completely black screen on a Galaxy S phone draws no power.
    Smartphone

17. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

18. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Well-Known Member

I have this app and havent noticed any horrible battery drain. My battery seems to last the same with or without this app. But I have found noLED to be very useful at work, I can just prop my phone by my computer screen and if I get a text/email or even a call while im away from my desk I can instantly see that sitting right there, instead of having to wake my phone periodically