• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notion Ink Adam

fbcdbf56f741c085605fcfda8407c.jpg

this is on the blog now. pre-orders should start soon

Upvote 0
Huge disappointment with the prelaunch of the Adam.

Believe me - I believe the Adam is the best tablet that will be available for a while and I still intend to purchase one. But huge red flags on this right now.

I will wait for the reviews to start coming in and see if they fix basic problems with the business plan.

Upvote 0
Its great to see that NI has addressed the issue of returning a defective Adam, They will now pay for all shipping costs to/from service center.

http://www.notionink.com/files/NotionInkWarranty.pdf

They are getting there. I think a normal start up company would fail in this condition. But the Adam is so good people will probably buy it no matter what and NI will be successful through their rough infancy.

I know I am still leaning towards buying the Adam but i still want to see an independant review of it.

Upvote 0
Huge disappointment with the prelaunch of the Adam.

Believe me - I believe the Adam is the best tablet that will be available for a while and I still intend to purchase one. But huge red flags on this right now.

I will wait for the reviews to start coming in and see if they fix basic problems with the business plan.

I'm with you on waiting to see how the user reviews come in, for the Adam, but also for 2.3 on a tablet. In terms of spec, the Adam looks to be just the device I am looking for, the only thing that worries me is that the software will not be as good. This isn't a comment on Notion Ink, more on Android. There are several apps on the iPad that I really want (board game implementations being at the top of the list) and are very unlikely to become available for Android. For the most part, I find the Android market to be just as good as Apple's (I have an iPod touch as well as a Milestone), although sometimes lacking some of the polish (and an equivalent of itunes to manage your applications on a pc) but board games are under-represented compared to Apple, and that doesn't look set to change.

It is not just one area unfortunately, there seem to be several sides to the market, and hardware accessories, where Android is lagging behind Apple, I hope it changes, because I much prefer the flexibility of Android, but I am still undecided about which tablet to choose.

Upvote 0
Man - I have to tell you - the Adam is twisting me into knots.

On the one hand I have my earlier concerns about the start up company and if they can make it. On the other hand I keep coming back to how amazing this thing seems. I go so far as to convince myself that even if they go out of business - this thing ROCKS! and I would enjoy it for what it is for a long time.

If you have not been following their blog, check it out. They have been posting a video a day of each app an each one is amazing to watch.

I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it!

Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait!

Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait!

Upvote 0
NI really made a wise decision in releasing a video a day until launch. i am really liking the apps that come stock on the adam. he said they will most likely not show the home screen until CES so it must be something special. the panels are really cool and i liked the file manager as well. he also said that "root is not impossible" and they were maybe working with their partners to make it easier for people that are interested however it would of course void the warranty, thats how i took it. so glad i pre-ordered. i had purchased an archos 101 to play with while waiting on the adam. ended up selling it on ebay for a $75 profit, i was just trying to get my money back ;)

Upvote 0
Hi Crimton - not sure if I should comment here or in your new post on video a day. Today I'll post here, tomorrow, who knows.

I really loved the sniffer app (file manager). It had the right feel for how I would want a file manager to look/feel. All I could think about was why don't others create them this way?

The email app was pretty sweet too. Again, exactly how I would want to manage multiple accounts and email.

The canvas app looks awesome too. I can see using this is so many ways. Can't wait for tomorrow and later videos.

Nice thread you have going on the other one. Will make it really easy for users to see them all in one shot.

BTW - I have not pre-ordered. First, I have a financial reason not too as I get a bonus at the end of January that I intend to use for this. But I wanted to hold off for a review anyway. But man - I am pretty sure I will purchase this thing and can't wait to get my hands on it.

Upvote 0
i pre-ordered this knowing that at CES there may be something shown that i will like better. right now though, you can't beat the adam. not to mention the other tablets shown may not be available for months, we know the adam pre-orders will begin shipping shortly after CES. i'm reallly looking forward to rohan talking about rooting and installing other operating systems.

Upvote 0
I signed up as part of their dev network and was supposed to get 2-3 units for my company in December. Got an email a month ago, saying they would send me all the details on the program, license agreements and such, then to be followed by the product.... I have empty hands still.

This really disappoints me. I have been following this since early this year and even talked our admins into starting the tablet section here, so we could all have a place to follow this together. I've been away a while and what a nice surprise to see the tablet section grow so fast!

Anyway, if I don't have a pre-release dev tab in hand yet, the general release must still be a few months out. I really want this thing and can't wait for my company to write our app for it. I'll be blowing the socks off my buddies and their iPhads (should this ever release).

-Norril

Upvote 0
I signed up as part of their dev network and was supposed to get 2-3 units for my company in December. Got an email a month ago, saying they would send me all the details on the program, license agreements and such, then to be followed by the product.... I have empty hands still.

This really disappoints me. I have been following this since early this year and even talked our admins into starting the tablet section here, so we could all have a place to follow this together. I've been away a while and what a nice surprise to see the tablet section grow so fast!

Anyway, if I don't have a pre-release dev tab in hand yet, the general release must still be a few months out. I really want this thing and can't wait for my company to write our app for it. I'll be blowing the socks off my buddies and their iPhads (should this ever release).

-Norril

general release will be soon after CES which is on jan. 6th. my adam is set to ship out between the 15th and 22nd of january. some developers are already receiving their adams, i have seen a couple pictures. you may want to contact notion ink again to see what the hold up is.

Upvote 0
if this is announced within my 30 day return window i may return my g tablet to sears and get this, after i see if the software lives up to the hardware of course. from the looks of the videos and website they seem like the type of company that are paying special attention to the software and will hopefully be good with updates. i'm gonna keep an eye on it, that pixel qi technology looks nice too. it looks like something will be announced on December 9th Notion Ink starts mystery countdown ending December 9th, its meaning is unknown | Android Community theres a countdown happening in the upper right hand corner of their homepage on their website. getting pumped about this now, this tablet looks sick.

Returned my GTab, got the Galaxy tab, returned it and ordered an Adam. Ship date for my Adam is 1/29.

I liked the Galaxy tab more than the GTab since it was a higher quality device and things just worked. It felt like I had purchased last years model though since it's processor, memory and screen size don't compare favorable to the Adam.

Looking forward to receiving my new toy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones