• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nougat 7.0 Update - You ruined my phone!!

I'm using Galaxy S7
SM-G930T
Originally from T-mobile. Unlocked using AT&T prepaid.

I woke up today to find out my phone magically updated software to 7.0 Nougat. I woke up to a nightmare...I can't use my phone like I used to anymore. They changed everything, icons, user interface, display, sizes!! They removed my settings/presets/customizations everything!!! This is not the same phone I bought over a year ago!! It's too different!!!

My biggest issue with the update is the fact that DOZENS OF MY PERSONALLY CREATED TEXT SHORTCUTS ARE ALL GONE!!!!! (I thought to myself: Fine, I'll just do it over and recreate them again) But wait.. THEY GOT RID OF THE TEXT SHORTCUTS ENTIRELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'VE SPENT SO MUCH TIME CREATING ALL OF THOSE AND I NEED THEM FOR MY DAILY LIFE/WORK/SCHOOL EVERYTHING IS GONE AND I DON'T HAVE A F***ING OPTION TO EVEN CREATE THEM AGAIN!!!!!!!

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2847...r-own-android-and-ios-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Other issues include:
WHY DID THEY MAKE THESE STUPID FRAMES FOR THE ICONS?!!
WHY DO I HAVE TO SWIPE THE TOP QUICK MENU DOWN TWICE TO ACCESS THE BRIGHTNESS?! WHEN BEFORE THE UPDATE YOU JUST SCROLL FROM TOP TO BOTTOM ONCE THEN YOU CAN CHANGE BRIGHTNESS QUICKLY!!
WHY DOES MESSAGING SHOW A BLANK AVATAR NEXT TO EACH MESSAGES WHEN I DON'T EVEN HAVE PHOTOS OF ALL OF MY CONTACTS?!!
WHY DID THEY MOVE THE MESSAGE ICON FROM THE FAR RIGHT (where I got used to) TO THE MIDDLE AFTER EACH END CALL?!!
WHY DID THEY REMOVE THE KEYBOARD CUSTOM TEXT SHORTCUTS?!!
WHY DID THEY REMOVE THE KEYBOARD CUSTOM TEXT SHORTCUTS?!!
WHY DID THEY REMOVE THE F***ING KEYBOARD CUSTOM TEXT SHORTCUTS?!!

These are only a few of many issues that for me was completely unwanted updates/changes.

Some of you are probably happy about the new updates. But please understand, I'm extremely upset about this and I'm genuinely stressed since yesterday morning. It's already 7:30am and I have not slept since my phone updated yesterday because this is heavily weighing on me and I'm suffering. I'm trying to figure out if by some miracle I could just revert my device back to before the update yesterday. The changes are too drastic that it's almost like a completely different OS. I've switched to Android from IOS about 6 or 7 years now and have been happy with no major problems...until now. ANDROID 7.0 NOUGAT I'M COMPLETELY DISAPPOINTED THAT YOU RUINED MY ABILITY TO USE MY PHONE!!! YOU REMOVED A VERY CRUCIAL FEATURE THAT AFFECTS MY DAILY USE OF MOBILE DEVICE!!!

Yesterday, while on the road, I know I'm not suppose to be using any device while driving but during stoplights when I need to send a message. I need to compose the entire message word-for-word letter-for-letter instead of using my previously available preset shortcuts. I could've sent long messages within 5-10 seconds using my preset shortcuts but instead I needed to spend almost 5 minutes at the stoplight while people are honking behind me telling me it's already green. Someone will probably tell me to get an aftermarket app...WHY DID THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170227-070050.png
    Screenshot_20170227-070050.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Screenshot_20170227-070105.png
    Screenshot_20170227-070105.png
    293.3 KB · Views: 276
  • Screenshot_20170227-070120.png
    Screenshot_20170227-070120.png
    474.7 KB · Views: 365
  • Screenshot_20170227-070154.png
    Screenshot_20170227-070154.png
    248.6 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: JB3rd
I too had 7.0 forced down my throat overnight. I lost the flashlight app, personal settings, and things moved around to unfamiliar places. It appears it was change for change sake, not necessary for improved use. I do not appreciate being forced to take an upgrade when I don't want it or prepared to take it. I've had issues with slow typing texts, poor battery life, strange behavior. Hope this goes back to the powers-that-be that this is not customer-oreiented

Update:
I found the flaslight app (aka torch), it was on another page of the notification pull down, but that highlights that things are changed and it's up to the user to search and find things in unfamiliar places

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowen H
Upvote 0
I found the flaslight app (aka torch), it was on another page of the notification pull down, but that highlights that things are changed and it's up to the user to search and find things in unfamiliar places

You have to remember that when any OS update comes out, a lot of settings are set back to the Android defaults or in the case of the torch icon in the notification pulldown, the location of the icon was reset, don't forget you probably moved it to a more convenient location at some point, but this is why Android is so nice, the ability to customise many areas in it. Also they have to do this as so many of the features have been updated, from a developer's point of view it's the best way to update an OS with the least headaches.

This is not something unique to the Nougat update, it's happened on previous versions of Android. Now whether you like this or not or whether it's a good or bad thing, it's something that i have personally gotten use to. To be honest i had a few issues too, like my icons going missing for the dialler and contacts, but apart from that it was pretty straightforward to set things back to how i like it and overall i much prefer the look, feel and performance of Nougat now that i am use to it. It's definitely slicker and battery life (for me is definitely improved). Do a cache reset as a matter of course to help with that. For the settings layout it has a search and tips for finding things and it's more consolidated now, overall it's better imo.

Also some carriers package up a lot of their own bloatware into updates and this can cause issues, i haven't suffered from that as my carrier tends to just focus on the update alone. My update was not forced, i agree for some who have had it forced, that's not a good change, but it could be your carrier and the way they have packaged up the update that caused that.

Upvote 0
@UpsetAndroidUser I understand where you're coming from. But fortunately (not to rub it in your face), I was one of the luckier people who could cancel the update. My S7 is the AT&T model and since I was rooted, I could just delete the update file from my system, and when It reboots, nothing would happen, It would just reboot again and move on like nothing happened.

Like I said, I get where your frustration is coming from, I too absolutely hate it when OEMs and carriers shove updates, that you likely don't want nor need, down your throat. It absolutely infuriates me, that's when I finally decided to root mine and stop that from happening once and for all. Since I was rooted, I just disabled the software update app and no software updates would download at all. I do believe your phone can be rooted on Marshmallow firmware, but it looks like it's too late now. Your bootloader maybe unlocked (I have AT&T and they always lock theirs, so I don't know that for a fact) and if it is, you maybe able to flash back to Marshmallow. I just decided to stop the update before it was too late and stay on Marshmallow.

If you are going to try to flash back to marshmallow, do so at your own risk.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones