• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nov. Maintenance OTA Update Discussion Thread

Nah, you got it right, VZW is now saying the 5Mb limit on the factory email is NOT intentional but they won't give me any official statement on it in writing after repeated attempts.
Yes, I have been through 2 replacements this week and both Incredible phones have the
same issue. I have been on the phone so much with tech that VZW can't avoid the issue now and they were telling me its a known issue now... as a matter of fact, last night they said that the lines had been busy all night with Incredible user device issues, which is interesting.
Anyway, the word from VZW on getting offered a Fascinate is because we have 2 already and they don't have the email issue. I was offered a Fascinate for exchange but I'd have to buy the battery as its a refurbished unit.
I imagine I will be going the same route on my wife's Incredible as hers can't access the market any longer, in addition to the email problem and being plagued with FC's.
Does that clarify a little for the moment?

That clarifies things alot actually, thanks! I assumed that the cap was intentional as it seems like something that a company would do on purpose. If Verizon is saying that it was not plan than I would agree this seems to be a widespread bug with the update. I am still surprised that Verizon would exchange the phone for that though since if it is a bug a software update should correct it. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Reactions: KB3MMX
Upvote 0
That clarifies things alot actually, thanks! I assumed that the cap was intentional as it seems like something that a company would do on purpose. If Verizon is saying that it was not plan than I would agree this seems to be a widespread bug with the update. I am still surprised that Verizon would exchange the phone for that though since if it is a bug a software update should correct it. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Yeah, that is what I originally was told by VZW but several hours of phone time since then have yielded everyone saying it shouldn't be limited to 5Mb, thus the 2 replacement devices and the latest exchange offer by VZW.
Just trying to keep you updated as this thing progresses with VZW.

I've also noticed progressively more posts on android forums about issues with the Dinc since the OTA update.
I really thinking we should compile issues suspected from the update and consider a poll ...or some good way to sort through it, would you agree?

Upvote 0
Yeah, that is what I originally was told by VZW but several hours of phone time since then have yielded everyone saying it shouldn't be limited to 5Mb, thus the 2 replacement devices and the latest exchange offer by VZW.
Just trying to keep you updated as this thing progresses with VZW.

I've also noticed progressively more posts on android forums about issues with the Dinc since the OTA update.
I really thinking we should compile issues suspected from the update and consider a poll ...or some good way to sort through it, would you agree?

It would be interesting to have but the problem is there is no even point to judge. There are SO many variables for someone's phone going into the update that there is no way to determine not only if the update caused the problem but what made it happen to them. The SD card problem is a good example. Is it a certain brand? Were there any issues prior to the update. Really unless it happens to more than two handfuls of people I wouldn't even consider attributing it to the update alone. Was it the catalyst? Probably but that doesn't mean that it was that only cause. Those small anomalies are risks with any update of any kind. They are risks when you install simple apps as well. The email cap seems to be the only issue that is widespread at this point.

Upvote 0
I did...i was not using any custom roms, I had to do a hard reset to get the update, but the charging issue is not fixed for me...not yet anyway.

How's the battery life doing ?
Mine was shorter after the update but it charges faster , kind of one step forward and one back. I also seem to get a better lasting charge from a lower Milli Amp output charger instead of the HTC one.

Upvote 0
How's the battery life doing ?
Mine was shorter after the update but it charges faster , kind of one step forward and one back. I also seem to get a better lasting charge from a lower Milli Amp output charger instead of the HTC one.

Battery life as well as charge time so far seems unchanged. I mainly charge from USB, unless at work, then I use the stock charger.

Upvote 0
Well I finally just got the OTA pushed to me today. Normally I would complain about being so late, but not this time.

Normal Non rooted Droid Incredible.
Upgraded to Froyo via OTA
Upgraded to 3.26.605.1 today via OTA.

Spent the afternoon reading this 12 page thread, have not seen my issue reported to date.

• Apparently none of the Apps which I had installed and moved to SD are recognized anymore, just normal anrdroid icon on the home screen. They do not show up in the Market App.
  • Most of my other (mainstream apps) all force close now (appbrain, yelp, google reader, google voice) and do not work. A few still work (trapster, gmail, tweetdeck etc).
  • I think my 16GB SD card is still fine. I have over 6 GB of data files that I sync and backup from my PC daily, and that sync still works fine. All my pictures are still there, etc. My music still shows up on the SD and plays fine. But the fact that my apps which had been App2SD'd all vanished makes me question the updates ability to access the card. When I error check it from the PC side via USB cable it appears fine.
  • Additionally all of my apps (facebook, tweetdeck, foursquare) which required logins, I had to re enter my log in data.

I'm not sure if my install somehow got corrupted?

What I am basically looking for is advice on the best way to recover. Should I do a Factory Reset, Reinstall AppBrain to reinstall all my apps and then just set everything up again?

Any thing I could do which was less time consuming?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Upvote 0
Actually we AREN'T all in the same boat. I know I for one have not been experiencing this. And since very few people have reported this, out of the thousands of users on this forum, I'm assuming it's not particularly widespread. Not to say that it's not a problem for you, but some users on here seem to have lost their sense of perspective, so I want to point that out.

On to your problem. What you're describing isn't a reboot at all, It's just Sense restarting. Probably because something is hogging resources. Maybe Sense, maybe something else. First, I'd check to see if your home icons were "doubled" (that is, the update made a second layer of all your icons on top of the first layer). If there is, delete the duplicates and it should help.

If that isn't the problem, download system panel, and find out if there is a app/service hogging CPU/RAM (the problem is caused by something using up RAM, but might easier to see CPU usage).

It's isn't obvious at all. Unless you have signifigant experience as a Software Engineer testing/debugging faulty code, you're just assuming that the update caused it. It could have also been caused by a faulty app update that just happened around the same time as the OTA (it's PROBABLY the OTA, but you can't know for certain). And even if it was, how do you know it was caused by the Vcast store portion of the update and not the charging fix?

Well excuse me !. If you take your hand away from your face for just a second, you might get a sense of what's really out there. Just because you can count less than 5 the number of complaints of HTC re-boots does NOT mean there are only 5 people with this problem.

Actually I have 2 buddies who have the same issue and one of them decided to call VZW 611 tech support and was told there will be a fix forthcoming on this issue. I suppose "some" people don't come to the Android Forums to complain.

Upvote 0
Well excuse me !. If you take your hand away from your face for just a second, you might get a sense of what's really out there. Just because you can count less than 5 the number of complaints of HTC re-boots does NOT mean there are only 5 people with this problem.

Actually I have 2 buddies who have the same issue and one of them decided to call VZW 611 tech support and was told there will be a fix forthcoming on this issue. I suppose "some" people don't come to the Android Forums to complain.

How exactly are the basic laws of statistics offensive to you? The simple fact is there are hundreds to thousands of users on this forum, and ten or so users have complained about this (including you AND you're two friends). Now lets assume only 1 member out of 5 with this problem mention it. So lets assume there are 50 forums members with this problem. And let's assume there are 2,000 Droid incredible forum members (out of 54,000 active members on androidforums overall).

So 50/2000 users are having this problem. or 2.5%. Not a a massive problem overall.

Even if only 1 out of 20 forum members with the problem complain, it's only 10%. And many of those people's problems ARE being caused by something else, so it will probably be less that 10%.

Not to say you aren't having problems, that it's not important to you, and that I'm not sympathetic. I am. As I was sympathetic with the OP when I posted possible causes (and resolutions) to the problem. You might want to try those...

And yes, the vast majority of forum members don't come here to complain. Not to say they won't complain if they have a problem, but that's not the reason the come here.

Upvote 0
Have had no Issues with SD card 16 gb since day one of incredible back in springtime. Now I get the OTA update and it no longer will mount for more than a minute and errors off. Also I can not see what I am typing on this form now. It is off screen. Never had that happen before. This update sucks. No songs or files as my SD card is not mounting any longer. Tried several reboots and re-inserts. Only mounts for a minute then gets error and stays unmounted. Dang. Reminds me of blackberry storm issues.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know where I can obtain the update.zip file for the Droid Incredible November update? The one that came OTA from Verizon won't install on my phone. I'm rooted with stock Froyo. I just want to install it and then re-root with Unrevoked v3.22

When I try and do the OTA version it doesn't reboot my phone. Just stalls and nothing happens. Then the OTA is mysteriously gone and it doesn't prompt me every 5 minutes as it always did. But then a day or two later it comes back...

I just want to try installing it via the Zip file to see if I can do it that way.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones