• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unforgiven

...eschew obfuscation...
Administrator
  • Jun 23, 2010
    Douglas, MA
    I'm pretty excited by everything I've heard about NOVA so far. It sounds like it will meet my needs nicely, but I know that won't be the case for everyone.

As happy as I am with my $30/mo 5GB prepaid plan with T-Mobile, I'm quite eager to try this out once it becomes A Thing. I wonder if controlling the carrier-side of things will enable Google to provide better group MMS handling with Google Voice / Hangouts?

Reactions: Unforgiven
    Upvote 0
    I think it is great... interesting..
    similar to Tmobile shaking things up...
    force some more changes..

Tmobile and Sprint are the only ones desperate for $$$ to sell to a new competitor.
    Verizon and ATT don't want someone like Google to rock the boat.
    Google has deep pockets.. and dont really care about huge profits from this line of business = scary and deadly!
    Google only want another way to feed into their real money making business.. online eyes to screen and reach more people.

rumored: Sprint got the contract.
    I left sprint for ATT....
    sprint may be a good fit for some people (small part of the huge Market).
    I think for most .. not so good.
    I sure hope they can also bring Tmobile on board..
    they can cover each others weak areas of coverage (hopefully)
    the combo would be very powerful.

Reactions: funkylogik
    Upvote 0
    The new owner of Sprint wanted to merge with TMO, FCC didn't care for that, and neither did a lot of old-time TMO postpaid users. Not as much as the outcry against ATT, though

Sprint has the most restricted phones carrier wise from what I've heard. Maybe this is a way for them to let loose a bit without compromising that stand.

I'll tell you what, though - if longtime postpaid TMO users get a hint about their unlimited data being throttled there will be one heckuva outcry.

I prefer GSM.

I don't happen to want or need the services. The Vulcan doesn't want them. Google needs to stay an MNVO and keep its nose out of the postpaid carrier service. I like the freedom to buy my own phones and use them the way I choose. I'm postpaid, not prepaid. Like Mike, I have a Oppo that runs on TMO very well

I've also heard Vodaphone wants to come back. That wouldn't surprise me. FCC probably wouldn't object and both DT and Vodaphone are EU and business would be more compatible between them.
    The EU is still unhappy with Google even after making Google allow "forget." Deutsche Telekom still owns TMO.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    a few years down the road...

after google builds Sprint + Tmobile to a real threat! beating up Verizon and ATT...
    what will the others do?

Google has: Motorola, Android, Nova, google services, and dont forget google fiber
    the have a user covered from A to Z... birth to coffin. (scary? yes)
    just to feed one monster: online marketing ecosystem

Microsoft already has, Nokia, Windows, bing / EI.. they have Xbox
    only missing a carrier

Apple has, iPhone, IOS,

Apple and Microsoft... might be in a big fight for the Verizon and ATT.
    they maybe had for a deal.
    Apple gets ATT
    Microsoft gets Verizon

well.. that is my prediction.

Upvote 0
    No. I want freedom to choose. If I don't want the whole experience, I don't want to be stopped from using an alternative. Windows? I can skip it totally and use Linux. I won't purchase from service that tries it. I'm starting to get more apps from Amazon. I don't buy books or from any of the major resellers. I use independents and there are plenty of them.

Movies are a no go. I don't watch them anyway. I don't use maps or location. I'm adverse to LOCAL marketing. I hate this town and do as little as I can to support the merchants. If someone wants me to see ads, I do have sellers that I will deal with. I can give you a list.

There will be a big stink over local ads soon anyway. A lot of stores are developing their own shopping apps, so if you are a fan of Kohl's you get their app, they give you coupons and sale info, you can buy online and pickup at store. This leaves search and general ads out. All the local TV stations have their own apps, and some of these shopping apps are now running in the local TV app. If all the large chains find out they get more traffic by running their own app, they will use other services less and less, and then just for new people who don't have the store's app. People will sign up if the store offers good discounts via the app.

I don't like that, either. My friend subscribes to one of the TV station apps, and it scares the bejeezus out of me when it goes off while I'm driving. It goes off at any little incident, too.

Google is mostly banned from the computer. I use SWIron which is a clone without the ads if Pale Moon doesn't work. I've put in Duck as the default. I'm waiting for FX/Pale Moon to get weird as Mozilla has just signed with Yahoo as the default search engine for Firefox and Google wants back in. Yahoo is already pestering with a notice on the main site to sign up to the new Yahoo if you don't have Yahoo in the search engines. (I deleted via about:config_) I'd like to know how Google plans to get subscribers to put Google back as the default search. The Vulcan prefers Bing. It's been reported that Google's search revenue has gone down since the switch.

ATT is already dealing or trying to buy DirectTV. Dish is looking for a partner. Verizon's on everyone's list right now for some nonsense it pulled with the FCC. They apparently tried to work around an FCC proposal by claiming to be a common carrier, then when it came to putting cellcos and other internet providers in as Common Carriers/utilites, V is having a fit. Sprint says FCC has some good ideas, not sure about TMO, but ATT/Comcast had hissy fits. I think the cable companies would also have been listed as they supply internet. All use fees, too. Fees are not regulated.

http://www.att.com/shop/tv/directv.html

This is a blog, but close to news I have seen in tech sites:
    http://www.thelowdownblog.com/2014/12/making-internet-utility-why-telecom-and.html

With PACs and all the infighting among all these groups it will take quite a while before they pay enough legislators off to get their way. With all this, there is now a rumor, bill? executive action? allowing towns to do their own broadband and wifi.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones