Now I know how i-Phone users feel

Last Updated:

1. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I spent the better part of last week in an area with no 3G and no 1X service. Had to frequent Wi-Fi spots to get my email and such. What a PIA that is!
    Had bars most of the time but not 1X service. Don't know if towers were messed up or if the area(a resort area in the mountains of Western Md) just doesn't have that good of service. I swear when I had my BB Storm I got 1X there.
    Will have to look into this.
    Anyone live there and know for sure?
    I have been there many times in the past and never noticed this.

Advertisement
  2. GregTard

GregTard Well-Known Member

Just for a reference point:

In the mountains in my area, any cell phone on any network would be extremely lucky to have a signal when on the mountain.

3. vetvipe

vetvipe Well-Known Member

I get horrible reception in western md and even worse reception in Wv. I think that area is one of verizons dead zones in their coverage map.

4. Bobby_V

Bobby_V Member

I was at Pine Mountain Lake in CA close to Yosemite. My droid x and my wifes droid incredible was in "Extended Network", no digital. My buddies and his wifes Blackberry was both in 1X with way better signal than ours. Blackberries must have better antennas.

5. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

In my experience with Blackberries, they have good antennas, but not as good as Motorola's (in my D1 and DX).

I wouldn't trust the bars, they don't tell the whole story. dBm is where the info's at.

Your X could say 1 bar, but have -90dBm, while the BBs could be reporting 2 or 3 bars but have a lower -95dBm signal.

I remember my Tour would report full signal with -80dBm, while my Droid sitting right next to it had -62dBm (a much, much, much stronger signal).