Now that Astrid is dying, what are some other good task list apps?

1. ogwilson

ogwilson Well-Known Member

in case you haven't heard, Yahoo bought Astrid and will shut it down in another 90 days. What other task list apps do you guys recommend?

Advertisement
    :
  2. androidnewbie5

androidnewbie5 Active Member

Is there a way to export the data in Astrid so it can be used in a different app?
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

ogwilson likes this.
  4. androidnewbie5

androidnewbie5 Active Member

For those who are reluctant to trust Google or the cloud and would like to keep their data local, Colornote is a reasonable alternative. Unlike many others (wunderlist included) it does not need to link to the cloud to work.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Will this make any difference to those who don't use an Astrid account, eg sync with Google or don't sync? I suspect not.
  6. chanchan05

Apart from not getting the app updated anymore, maybe not.
  7. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

With the needless popups in the current UI I don't see how they could make it worse, but I'm sure Yahoo will find a way. Though I use Astrid without an online account, this is just the incentive I need to look for something else.

For those interested, DGT DTG is the only alternative I've found that supports recurring tasks based on completion date in addition to due date.
  8. egDonald

egDonald Well-Known Member

Why in Androidia would they go and buy it out only to retire it? :mad:
  9. kwaping

kwaping Well-Known Member

10. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

The one thing I liked about astrid was the priority option for each item. Is there another app that does this?
  11. Hadron

There are many that have 2 priority levels. Three levels, like Astrid, I'm not sure.
  12. chanchan05

Producteev has three levels if I remember correctly.

Edit: just checked, it has 5 levels. I'm trying it out now. The app hasnt been updated in quite a while though, but third party apps exist that sync to their database.
    Hadron likes this.
  13. rcyphermd

Note everything seems to have all I need. It has priority built in. I emailed the developer with a couple questions and he was very responsive and helpful. Many many options.
  14. SMBrill

SMBrill Member

What about Toodledo and Ultimate Todo List? These are far superior to those you listed. Is Phandroid no longer concerned with being accurate or comprehensive?
  15. rcyphermd

These are user opinions. Readers are just suggesting their preferences. Not sure why you would question Phandroid's accuracy. BTW, the reviews in the Play store for Toodledo are not very positive.
  16. Hadron

There was a Phandroid article on this topic yesterday, so maybe SMBrill thought we were commenting on that. In fact this thread is more than a week older than the article.

But do tell people what you like about your preferred apps. :)
  17. SMBrill

SMBrill Member

Yes, sorry, I referring to the recent Phandroid article. It has a link to this thread, so I thought they were connected.
  18. Hadron

Ah yes, the article points to the thread, but the thread pre-dates the article.

Personally I'm not a fan of adding new cloud accounts. I already sync stuff with Google, so GTasks sync is a positive for me (in that it lets me share todos between apps, and hence change apps easily). Or apps that can work without sync are OK. But an app that requires I create an account to do anything probably won't get a fair trial from me.

On the apps described in the article, last time I used GTasks it was fine except that it wasn't good with recurring tasks. I don't know whether it's improved in the meanwhile. Any.Do is pretty, but I find it a bit slow, and the lack of a scrolling widget seems rather old-school. But it does seem to have improved generally in the last 6 months or so. I occasionally try a few ToDo apps just to see if there's anything that works better for me than Astrid (which isn't perfect, but I can work with it).
  19. SMBrill

SMBrill Member

I find Toodledo far superior to the others, but the is just personal preferences. It offers many more options on ways to organize filter or view your data and that makes all the difference to me.
  20. chanchan05

I don't see a Toodledo app in the PlayStore, an official one anyway.
  21. SMBrill

SMBrill Member

I use Ultimate To Do List. It syncs with Toodledo.
  22. chanchan05

That's what I said. Its not an official Toodledo app. Some third party guy made an app, and he may or may not be related in any way to Toodledo.
  23. GeekOnTheRoad

GeekOnTheRoad New Member

Check out Zenday in the Play Store, which combines an innovative 3D calendar display with add unique approach to tasks. They recognize floating and fixed schedule tasks, and have a very different but efficient way of handling repeat tasks. If you like using Google calendar and tasks there is a (paid) plug in.
  24. Hadron

I've been using the beta of Business Tasks (in parallel with Astrid). Has promise, though no widget if you're still on Gingerbread. Still developing.