• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Now that Froyo isn't coming to Eris....

When I started with Verizon there was no such thing as a smart phone, android or otherwise. When I bought the Eris I would never have assumed that it's going to get OS updates forever - it's a high tech toy, as such it will soon be obsolete as all high tech toys are. The fact that Verizon is not going to put 2.2 on my Eris is neither here nor there to me. And if I DO want 2.2, I can always download one of the several ROMs that are out there.

Upvote 0
And Verizon is not going to offer updates anymore, does this have you considering leaving verVerizon after contract is up? I have talked to people who said they are ditching Verizon because they have turned their backs on Eris and customers.

Eris rooters can follow the ROMs as they evolve and are developed; even 2.2 is available and works well on the little ole Eris.

Those who chose not to root are in the situation of either feeling left out, or of being happy with their device as it is, or will move on to another device having struggled with refurbs and/or silly Verizon rep excuses.

Those of us happy with the Eris, but wanting a larger screen and more technology, make up the rest of this particular nitch in the Android community.

I admit to having trouble agreeing that there is any feeling of being "left behind," etc. I can't think of too many products out there, over the years, that have been perpetually supported by their distributors.. some by the manufacturers for a bit longer than usual, I suppose.

Reactions: alk1
Upvote 0
It seems kind of funny that no more updates would be called "abandoning".

I'm no expert, and I certainly didn't catch this wave in the beginning, but Android has not been around for that long. It's only been a year(ish) since the whole "Droid" push made Android phones a viable option for most people. Before that it was this cool new thing that only a small percent of tech-savvy people were using. Hell, Google only announced they were thinking about getting into the smartphone business 2 or 3 years ago.

To think they have gone from concept to iPhone rival in a few short years is pretty amazing. I think anyone would have a tough time foreseeing the changes in customer demand and phone technology when they are running at such a break-neck speed.

If you are unhappy with your phone's performance and lack of updates, look into rooting. As mentioned before, there are a lot of ROMs to chose from. I second the "I love open source"

Upvote 0
Do I feel abandoned? Maybe not, but definitely disappointed. Rooting has made my phone much better but it shouldn't be necessary. I will be keeping this in mind when I upgrade but it won't be My only factor.

Yeah, I heard the HTC incredible won't receive any updates after gingerbread. I am not sure about that though.

Upvote 0
I beat the crap out of my phones, I was hoping it would get an official 2.2, but now that I rooted and overclocked a little with Ivans rom I couldn't be happier with the phone so far. My wife liked it before and I probably will hand it down to her. She lets me have all the upgrades because I like the tech stuff. She thinks her Storm 1 is great lol.

I have all the apps I want, whenever I look in the Market I see stuff that really wouldn't help me, or I wouldn't use all that often to have it taking up space anyway. For now it works great.

Besides, I did the AT&T route, I would never go back there again!

Upvote 0
The Eris is a great smart phone. with root, it's capable of things it shouldn't be able of. If They made the Eris, with the Incredible processor (or better) with some upgrades blah blah make an Eris2 I think that would have appealed to MANY more people than this Droid2 P.O.S. (Sorry guys, but keyboards aren't my style.)

Upvote 0
Other then the ability to handle adhoc networks I don't see any real advantage to 2.2 right now. We don't have the horsepower to utilize many of the features other then to say we have them.

You could always head over to Sprint and pay them and extra $10/mo for a 4G phone even though there is no 4G in your area and won't be for years.

You could head to AT&T and have a 2G limit or pay thru the arse for a substandard iPhone (adhoc network also btw)

You could head to T-Mobile and have service depending on if your side of the street has any service that specific time of day.

I will just putter along with my rooted Eris with a custom ROM and be a happy camper that I spent a whole .01 at Amazon Wireless for it.

Upvote 0
If They made the Eris, with the Incredible processor (or better) with some upgrades blah blah make an Eris2

to me you just described the droid incredible.

What I've been wondering more than anything, isn't verizon's 4G network suppose to be put on line sometime in 2011 (as well as T-mobiles)? Okay I'm asking but I know this to be the case. From what I understand the phones have to be designed to work with it (sprints 4g is proprietary and no one else plans on using its system including maybe sprint themselves. never mind almost nowhere has 4g coverage). if thats actually true I really have no desire to upgrade now only to have verizon 4g and 4g phones start rolling out 6 months later.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
And Verizon is not going to offer updates anymore, does this have you considering leaving verVerizon after contract is up? I have talked to people who said they are ditching Verizon because they have turned their backs on Eris and customers.
I am seriously considering going back to Sprint. I haven't checked out their Android phones, or even if that carry them, but the 4G and cheaper data plan is very attractive. I chose to switch to Verizon to get the better network and cell reception, but so far the negatives have outweighed the positives .. sad to say. :eek:

Upvote 0
Given that 2.2 Roms on Eris are available and vibrant, it's obvious to me that Verizon is not the one responsible for blocking the Froyo update. HTC, although I love their hardware, deems it necessary to coat their phones in Sense UI. It does them no good to invest in updating the Eris UI to be compatible with Froyo, they want you to buy new hardware.

The Sense UI backup program they're working on is making me suspicious of buying another HTC phone, will they try to block updated firmware to their legacy phones in order to encourage consumers to upgrade?

Upvote 0
You say that, but then the original G1, the Nexus One, the new G2, plus many other HTC Android phones - all stock. I think that the carriers have something to do with whether Sense (or Espresso) is installed or not.

I personally don't care about sense UI. Since root, I avoid I. I think it slows the phone down

Upvote 0
I am disappointed that I bought this phone in November and six months later, EOL. We are stuck for two years. If Verizon continues to lock people into 2 year commitments, they ought fulfill their end of the deal or allow us to upgrade to another device at 2 year contract rates without an extension.

That being said, rooting and overclocking has breathed new life into my phone. But as another poster stated, it should not be necessary.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones