Now that I'm rooted, its time for TW to go.

Last Updated:

1. DTR

DTR New Member This Topic's Starter

Picked up my captivate today, quickly rooted it with excellent instructions on this forum right from the phone and I installed busybox and backup. I got rid of the crapware. No it is time for one of two things; ditch TouchWhiz or somehow get hooked up with 2.2. Now, I hate posting before doing extensive research, but I came across one member saying that a beta was released today for 2.2 for the captivate. My question is, is it worth it to go for the beta to get rid of TW or should I go with this vanilla ROM that I read about that supposedly gets rid of TW.

Advertisement
  2. Benclayton

Benclayton Active Member

Removing TW would be a pretty bad move IMO, it's always good to have a fall-back that is (for the most part) stable. Launcher Pro has had a few issues on my phone and I've seen better battery performance with TW unfortunately.

DO NOT start flashing ROMs to this until they have a definitive guide on what builds will work. The Modaco or Monaco Vanilla rom will work, but the phone and messaging features are buggy at best.

XDA forums has a big thread about this now, I'd read up on it and just wait it out. No use screwing up a brand new phone for no reason.

DTR likes this.
  3. irvinbd

irvinbd New Member

I'm new to android phones/linux in general... what kind of crapware is there that I should remove?

4. laristech

laristech Member

Just remove normal programs such as telnavi, gogo, slacker, etc. Its easy to do with root access and Titanium Backup.