• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

now that we are getting 2.2...

I do not doubt that you will not get the full Flash 10.1 experience with Android 2.2. But frankly, I would be happy with the other extras like the apps to microSD card functionality and the Bluetooth voice dialing over headset support.

Also, the general speed increase due to Android 2.2 using a JIT compiler would be a hugely welcome addition to my Sprint HTC Hero. I hope that is definitely included in the update for your handsets.

Upvote 0
But frankly, I would be happy with the other extras like the apps to microSD card functionality and the Bluetooth voice dialing over headset support.

I don't know about the Hero, but the MT3G shouldn't really ever need an Apps to SD capability. I have 65 or 70 (not pre-installed) apps on my phone, and still have 121mbs of internal storage free.

Bluetooth voice dialing would be good. Hadn't heard that was coming.

My money is on Cyanogen porting 2.2 before T-Mobile releases it, though. lol

Upvote 0
well, the hero and the newer mytouch have about the same stuff internally. the only thing i would think that we wouldnt get would be the live wallpapers. if the hero could handle it, the mytouch could. the hero got the flash, and they have 2.1, and the mytouch is getting 2.2. im mainly just excited to see the new app launcher haha, and the multitouch. and having the apps 2 sd would be AWESOME. although you said you have a lot of internal memory left, imagine having full memory. your phone would run much more faster.

Upvote 0
and having the apps 2 sd would be AWESOME. although you said you have a lot of internal memory left, imagine having full memory. your phone would run much more faster.

No, I don't think so. Accessing the internal memory will always be faster than to the sdcard, if only because it'd be skipping a step or two.

E.g., CPU pulls from internal memory, or CPU pulls from apps2sd which in turn pulls from sdcard. Which is gonna be faster?

Upvote 0
No, I don't think so. Accessing the internal memory will always be faster than to the sdcard, if only because it'd be skipping a step or two.

E.g., CPU pulls from internal memory, or CPU pulls from apps2sd which in turn pulls from sdcard. Which is gonna be faster?

This is correct. Accessing files directly from the handset's internal memory will always been slightly faster than accessing them from the microSD card. However, with a Class 6 microSD card, the difference would likely be negligible.

The real difference would probably be that the battery life would be even so slightly reduced because accessing the files from the microSD card always uses more power than just grabbing them from internal handset memory. It seems like a decent trade off for more app storage space though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones