now that we are getting 2.2...

Last Updated:

1. PatrickHuey

PatrickHuey Active Member This Topic's Starter

what are all the features we are going to get from going from 1.6 to 2.2? i know a majority of the changes will come from the 2.1, but what are all of them? and are we going to get the sense UI with it?

Advertisement
  2. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

No one really knows yet. being that the hardware on the original mt3g is limited you may get a lesser version of the OS. like no wallpapers, etc. Like the hero got. 2.2 enables flash but again will the mytouch be able to handle it? i doubt it. so will you get it? i doubt it. we shall see

3. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

I do not doubt that you will not get the full Flash 10.1 experience with Android 2.2. But frankly, I would be happy with the other extras like the apps to microSD card functionality and the Bluetooth voice dialing over headset support.

Also, the general speed increase due to Android 2.2 using a JIT compiler would be a hugely welcome addition to my Sprint HTC Hero. I hope that is definitely included in the update for your handsets.

4. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Hero, but the MT3G shouldn't really ever need an Apps to SD capability. I have 65 or 70 (not pre-installed) apps on my phone, and still have 121mbs of internal storage free.

Bluetooth voice dialing would be good. Hadn't heard that was coming.

My money is on Cyanogen porting 2.2 before T-Mobile releases it, though. lol

5. PatrickHuey

well, the hero and the newer mytouch have about the same stuff internally. the only thing i would think that we wouldnt get would be the live wallpapers. if the hero could handle it, the mytouch could. the hero got the flash, and they have 2.1, and the mytouch is getting 2.2. im mainly just excited to see the new app launcher haha, and the multitouch. and having the apps 2 sd would be AWESOME. although you said you have a lot of internal memory left, imagine having full memory. your phone would run much more faster.

6. InstantKarma

No, I don't think so. Accessing the internal memory will always be faster than to the sdcard, if only because it'd be skipping a step or two.

E.g., CPU pulls from internal memory, or CPU pulls from apps2sd which in turn pulls from sdcard. Which is gonna be faster?

7. BiGMERF

ram. 192 (original mytouch) vs 288 on hero. big difference. thats where the issue lies

8. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

288 on the the mytouch 1.2 as well :p

9. SukDeezNutz

SukDeezNutz Well-Known Member

2.2 doesnt do apps to SD does it? I dont think it does.

10. BiGMERF

Yes it does, at least on my nexus. But the developer of the app has to add it

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

11. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

This is correct. Accessing files directly from the handset's internal memory will always been slightly faster than accessing them from the microSD card. However, with a Class 6 microSD card, the difference would likely be negligible.

The real difference would probably be that the battery life would be even so slightly reduced because accessing the files from the microSD card always uses more power than just grabbing them from internal handset memory. It seems like a decent trade off for more app storage space though.

12. InstantKarma

Oh look, CyanogenMod 5.08 already has bluetooth voice dialing! Shweet.

:D

13. PatrickHuey

yeah, the original mytouch did not have as much memory as the hero, but thats why they released the 1.2, which is the one i have!