• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Now that we have 2.2.1...wheres our Gingerbread?

Does everyone really think that someone with inside connections at Moto and access to release dates would wait until some random person on a forum asks about the release date, instead of contacting a news site directly?

Not really directed specifically at the OP but it's a common question that doesn't make sense to me?

Upvote 0
gingerbreadLaptop.jpg

//thread

Upvote 0
People are never content with what they have.
When they get the next best thing they are already looking ahead.
There seems to be some sense of entitlement when it comes to updates.

Your lucky if you get 1 major update on a device.
Some don't get any.

I can understand the excitement many people have over getting the next improvement to the OS in our cool phones. Never being content with the present is a part of the human condition for many of us, unfortunately. I'm one of those who is always looking ahead, and proud of it :rolleyes:. And hey, the drive for more, better, etc. can be a very good influence, driving us (or cell phone manufacturers, in this instance) to improve - my Droid X is many times better than the Palm 755p I had before, and I'm very happy to have upgraded.

This is not meant to slam your statement quoted above, I just have a different take on the anticipation of Gingerbread and further updates. I don't think it is a negative, just the opposite - it motivates people to bring the improvements to fruition and then we all benefit from them.

My opinion here, but I don't think an entitlement attitude is overly pervasive in this forum. To me it seems those waiting for GB are for the most part genuinely excited and looking forward to more improvements to our phone. I thought my DX was awesome when I first got it with Eclair. When I OTA'd Froyo I got flash support and found my battery life doubled (how cool is that!?!). Then the latest update resolved the batt mgr F/C issue I had sporadically before - so of course I am looking forward to seeing what GB will bring with it. Its all good :D

Upvote 0
My opinion here, but I don't think an entitlement attitude is overly pervasive in this forum. To me it seems those waiting for GB are for the most part genuinely excited and looking forward to more improvements to our phone. I thought my DX was awesome when I first got it with Eclair. When I OTA'd Froyo I got flash support and found my battery life doubled (how cool is that!?!). Then the latest update resolved the batt mgr F/C issue I had sporadically before - so of course I am looking forward to seeing what GB will bring with it. Its all good :D

I don't think that a lot of people here have an entitlement attitude either.
In general there is such an attitude. (on the internet at large)
I have read a few places today alone where people are wondering 'where there gingerbread update is' either not realizing that it takes longer than a week to get something like this ready or because they 'just want it'.

I would love to see gingerbread on my X -STOCK- with no motoblur stuff personally. But I can wait :D

Upvote 0
We'll see Gingerbread when we see Gingerbread (sooner if/when the custom ROM builders get their hands on it).

As for Honeycomb, to date I've seen nothing in print from someone of authority at Google that states that Honeycomb is exclusively for tablets. Will it make it to the DX as an OTA update? Nobody really knows! My best guess, however, is again that the custom ROM builders will likely make it available on this platform!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones