Now with VZW want to go with ATT?

Last Updated:

1. lennydude

lennydude Well-Known Member

Hi there........maybe someone can answer this for me?

I am currently with VZW and have been for quite awhile. The VZW network really sucks compared to the ATT network where i live and work.

I am up for renewal in July of 2012. Is there any chance that ATT would help pay off my ETF on VZW and let me sign up with them for a 2 year contract?

I know there is a special number that you can call at VZW to ask about these things. I have been using the Droid X and really do love the phone but the network is VERY slow around here [​IMG]
    I bought the new Galaxy Nexus and had to return it. NO data at all for 3 of the 5 days i owned it!

Many of my friends are with ATT and get 4 to 5 times faster data than i do with my Droid X. Speedtest shows around 300 kbps download speeds and the ATT friends get between 2500 kbps and 3500 kbps standing beside me! I would like to get maybe the Samsung Note but can not afford to leave VZW yet..................unless ATT would help me out?

Thanks for any info ahead of time [​IMG]

Lenny

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. nb_mitch

nb_mitch Well-Known Member

I have never heard of another Carrier helping pay the ETF, but if you get a subsidized phone with a new contract, you can sell your existing Verizon phone on eBay and probably cover the cost. Since you are only 7 months away from the end of contract, the fee shouldn't be too bad.

I haven't heard when/if the Note is coming to any carrier yet.

I have been with At&t for about 10 years and where I have been their service is good, but we are building a new home in an area that coverage isn't so good. I might be going in the other direction to Verizon.

It would cost me more with Verizon (currently have a At&t 2phone family plan with 1 smartphone and pay $78/mo with a corporate discount) but coverage is the most important issue when picking service.
  3. lennydude

lennydude Well-Known Member

I hear ya.........but from experience..........

I left VZW a few years ago and before i paid the bill that included my ETF............they sent me a "We want you back" mailer and paid my full balance and sold me a new Droid X on contract for $99.00

In all....................they saved me almost $550.00, $150 on the new phone and over $400 on my bill (including ETF).
  4. Therethennow

Therethennow Member

Speaking from personal experience, I've never heard of AT&T offering to pay off the ETF from a competitor's service. Once in a blue moon, AT&T can do something to reduce an ETF for an existing AT&T customer, but you need a damn good reason.

Typically, if you are in good standing with a company (bills paid on time, an account balance in the black, etc.), they are much more likely to help you out. This goes for all service providers, not just AT&T or VZW. I once received a free year of movie channels from my cable provider for very nicely calling in to inquire how their package compared to a competitor's offer I'd gotten in the mail.

If I were you, I'd try working on VZW. It may help to do some research on AT&T's offered features and prices, as well as reviewing your VZW TOS so you have a good case for them to want to give you the ETF hook-up. And it never hurts to be super civil and polite about it, like you would gladly keep giving them your money if *sniffle* only *sob*...your service worked as well as AT&T's *wiping away tears* in your area!

Ok, I'm obviously kidding; you don't need to go THAT far, but you know what I mean, heh.

Good luck!
    lennydude likes this.