• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Now you can live without fear of bricking

*I just want everyone to know that I didn't write this guide, just the first paragraph. You can thank ikithme for the guide and the links to all the files.*

Now that a .sbf file has been released for our Droid's we can always recover them using RSD Lite. AllDroid - View topic - Droid 2.0.1 sbf file released! it is pretty easy to use this. Of course if you physically break your phone it won't help, but if you screw anything up software wise you are covered.

If you unplug your phone while doing this it will break it beyond repair, Verizon will not be able to fix it. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO USE IT!

EDIT: Here is a guide.
EDIT:New RSD Lite link (4.6)
Requirements
A. VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03.sbf (.sbf file)
B. http://androidoverdrive.com/downloads/RSDLite4.6.7z (RSDLite 4.6)
C.
http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/Co ... _4.2.0.zip (32-bit Motorola USB Drivers)
or
http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/Co ... _4.2.0.zip (64-bit Motorola USB Drivers)

Instructions:
1. Download all of the files above including the 32-bit OR 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers.
2. Install RSDLite AND the 32-bit or 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers (Depends on your system most will need 32-bit some will need 64-bit)
3. Connect your phone to USB and turn it off then turn it back on, while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD. (Some users have said it is easier to hold the volume down button and camera button instead.)
4. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
5. Click the ... next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file and double click the .sbf file.
6. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress and all of that.
7. Once your phone is done being flashed (It may take a while so don't unplug it) it will reboot and you will be back at stock 2.0.1 no root.
8. Done

Credits:
dordodim for the sbf file. ikithme for guide.
Motorola for the awesome phone, usb drivers and RSDLite.

VtotheZ's Video Guide

YouTube - Motorola Droid - How to ROOT 2.1 firmware!

I have a tutorial on how to do this. Its pretty easy, just read the video description for a good detailed walk through.

I take no credit for the release of the .sbf file nor any of Motorola's software or drivers

IF THIS IS DONE WRONG IT CAN AND WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE BEYOND REPAIR OF EVEN VERIZON SINCE THIS IS THE TOOL THEY USE! DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE DURING THE PROCESS! I WILL NOT OFFER SUPPORT AND NOR SHOULD ANYONE ELSE! IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING PLEASE LEAVE RIGHT NOW.

THIS COMPLETELY WIPES YOUR PHONE AND REFLASHES IT! YOU WILL NEED TO REACTIVATE YOUR PHONE WHEN THIS FINISHES!

Requirements
A.
2.00 http://www.mediafire.com/?o2jetlnyn34 (.sbf file)
or
2.01 http://www.mediafire.com/?2nojyrkfznj (.sbf file)
B. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzzjmngizmj (RSDLite 4.6)
C.
http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/Common/Drivers%20and%20Plug%20ins/USB_Drivers_32_bit_4.2.0.zip (32-bit Motorola USB Drivers)
or
http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/Common/Drivers and Plug ins/USB_Drivers_64_bit_4.2.0.zip (64-bit Motorola USB Drivers)

Instructions:
1. Download all of the files above including the 32-bit OR 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers.
2. Install RSDLite 4.6 AND the 32-bit or 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers (Depends on your system most will need 32-bit some will need 64-bit)
3. Connect your phone to USB and turn it off then while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD.
4. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
5. Click the ... next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file and double click the .sbf file.
6. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress and all of that.
7. Once your phone is done being flashed (It may take a while so don't unplug it) it will reboot and you will be back at stock 2.0.1 no root.
8. Done

Credits:
dordodim for the sbf file.
Motorola for the awesome phone, usb drivers and RSDLite (Thanks Ron for pointing out where I could find the USB Drivers and RSDLite)

End notes:
Have fun.

Original Guide (Also by me):
AllDroid - View topic - Unroot/Unbrick your phone using .sbf

Upvote 0
So does this now mean even if we update to the official 2.1 when released, if it is locked down and unrootable, that we will be able to restore to a previous version?

Yep, now we can always have root no matter what they do, no matter how locked down a new build is. You will always be able to use this to revert back to 2.0.1 and gain root then safely update to the new build.

Upvote 0
You install RSD Lite onto your pc, and you reboot your Droid holding down the buttons mentioned above, then you load the .sbf file into RSD Lite and hit start. It completely re-flashes everything on your Droid back to 2.0.1 without root, making it like a brand new phone. You will need to reactivate it when you first power it back on.

Reactions: donovanb09
Upvote 0
This is great news being that I tried to update to DroidMod 1.0 today and my phone got stuck at the Nandroid backup state and won't let me get out of it. Quick question though. My battery is dead and when I reboot ith the bootloader screen it tells me that it cannot program because battery is low. I've had my phone on the charger for a while but it doesn't seem to be charging. The screen stays on with the atempting to backup log scrolling. I let the phone completely die and now it is plugged into me comp's USB with the screen off and the LED light by the USB port on. Is it actually charging or it that just showing power to the phone?

Upvote 0
This is great news being that I tried to update to DroidMod 1.0 today and my phone got stuck at the Nandroid backup state and won't let me get out of it. Quick question though. My battery is dead and when I reboot ith the bootloader screen it tells me that it cannot program because battery is low. I've had my phone on the charger for a while but it doesn't seem to be charging. The screen stays on with the atempting to backup log scrolling. I let the phone completely die and now it is plugged into me comp's USB with the screen off and the LED light by the USB port on. Is it actually charging or it that just showing power to the phone?

Well just try and boot it into bootloader and see what happens, if it turns on then you should be all set, it has to stay plugged in anyway so you should be powered on either way.

And to the other guy, yes you will be able to use this to revert back to 2.0.1 from 2.1, no need for root.

Upvote 0
Well just try and boot it into bootloader and see what happens, if it turns on then you should be all set, it has to stay plugged in anyway so you should be powered on either way.

And to the other guy, yes you will be able to use this to revert back to 2.0.1 from 2.1, no need for root.

There is an odd glitch where if your phone is completely dead plugging it into a computer will NOT charge it. So use the wall outlet.

Upvote 0
There is an odd glitch where if your phone is completely dead plugging it into a computer will NOT charge it. So use the wall outlet.

Agreed. I had the same thing happen to me the other day. I wasn't paying attention and the phone died during a rom upgrade. No screen, no nothing. As a last ditch effort I removed it from USB and connected it to the wall outlet. Came back an hour later and all was well.

Upvote 0
THIS COMPLETELY WIPES YOUR PHONE AND REFLASHES IT! YOU WILL NEED TO REACTIVATE YOUR PHONE WHEN THIS FINISHES!

Regarding the 'you will need to reactivate your phone' part...

Is this the thing where you log onto your verizon account, and click the activate phone button, and choose used phone, and enter in the phone number, and id's from beneath the battery?

I haven't had to ever reactivate before, so just wondering what that meant.

Joe

Upvote 0
Regarding the 'you will need to reactivate your phone' part...

Is this the thing where you log onto your verizon account, and click the activate phone button, and choose used phone, and enter in the phone number, and id's from beneath the battery?

I haven't had to ever reactivate before, so just wondering what that meant.

Joe

Remember how when you first turned on the Droid for the first time you got that "Click the Android icon to start" screen and you got put through a call to Verizon that activated your phone? You'll have to do that again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones