NTFS and Android

1. homegeek

homegeek Well-Known Member

I tried to format my 16gb SD card with NTFS so I could transfer a file larger then 4 gb. Android no longer recognized the SD card now. Does anyone know a way I can transfer a very large video file to my SD card and bypass the Fat32 limitation?

Advertisement
    :
  2. DT

DT Well-Known Member

AFAIK, external media is always FAT/32 (and so inherits the max file limitation).

If you're ripping over something like a movie, you could break it down into < 4GB chunks and then setup a playlist if you want contiguous playback.

Just kind of speculating as I haven't fooled around much, but that's how I handle media on an external drive on our PS3 (same thing, only supports FAT/32).

The only other thing I'd say is try ext2/3 if you have access to a Linux box to see if it's supported (since NTFS is an MS proprietary format, it's no surprise it's not supported).
    homegeek likes this.
  3. blaket81

blaket81 Member

Just thought i'd reply to this thread a year and a half later because i just ran into this problem. I needed to copy an 8GB file to the SD card. I've formatted it as NTFS and when i've done my business i'm going to format it back to fat32 and put everything back that was on it before NTFS. Piece o' cake.