• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ntl (Virgin Media) smtp server bounces emails

The ntl part of VM does not have smtp servers (I originally thought it was all of VM, but apparently in a previous similar post the Blueyonder/TW stuff works so it is just old ntl) - it basically authenticates through the MAC of your cable modem. You can see this in action - if you try and send a message while connected to your wifi through your cable modem it will work as it is using the modem MAC just as your PC does. Try it from mobile network and it wont because the MAC is different (actually not sure whether it is MAC or IP it uses - effect is the same anyway).

Upshot is you can't send emails from ntl accounts on mobile networks at the moment (which is particularly frustrating when you are on Virgin Mobile like me).
Good news is that apparently VM are moving their email addresses slowly over to a Google Mail platform that does have smtp authentication - the telewest stuff is already done, the ntl stuff is scheduled to be done sometime this year. So, hopefully, this time next year it wont be an issue.

In the meantime you can send emails from the VM webmail site - a pain but the only way currently.

Reactions: Chappie
Upvote 0
cant you just create a gmail account...then set the option to automatically rediret male they goes to your ntl, straight to gmail

Still not much good for sending - I might as well use the gmail account I set up. I receive ntl emails ok.

I'm forwarding work email to my mobile gmail account anyway, because I haven't yet asked our IT dept for the exchange server settings.

jpg

Upvote 0
The best thing to do is set your pop3 server up on the phone as ntl (as you have done already) but put the smtp details in for your mobile operator. The ntl smtp server will only accept mail from your registered IP address, so will reject any mails sent from your phone.

For 3 mobile use: smtp-mbb.three.co.uk
For orange use: smtp.orange.net
For t-mobile use: smtp.t-email.co.uk

(I got the server addresses off the internet so they should be correct, but you might want to check what it is with your operator)

Upvote 0
I'm not sure even using mobile smtp servers works - it certainly doesn't for Virgin Mobile (using tmobile servers as it is they who provide the network to VM). If anyone has actually made that work I would be interested to hear it, but in the meantime my own experience (and responses from VM customer service, whatever that is worse - and advice from several forums) is that even that is a no-go.

Have you actually tried it weasel?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure even using mobile smtp servers works - it certainly doesn't for Virgin Mobile (using tmobile servers as it is they who provide the network to VM). If anyone has actually made that work I would be interested to hear it, but in the meantime my own experience (and responses from VM customer service, whatever that is worse - and advice from several forums) is that even that is a no-go.

Have you actually tried it weasel?

Only using orange I'm afraid, so don't know if you can get it to work with t-mobile or Virgin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones